No Boycott of U.S. Open

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad everything worked out too. More importantly, I really liked the spirit of the press release. It seems everyone got what they wanted. Except me...I never get what I want EVER!

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a solution has been found: http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=9021.

I was surprised tonight to find no discussion on the main forum about this development.

Because pretty much everyone knew the players would give in and play. They all want there Mosconi Cup points and a chance to make some money.

To me all it did was show the true colors of some players in how they negotiate.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this.

This is some really great news. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a solution has been found: http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=9021.

I was surprised tonight to find no discussion on the main forum about this development.

In addition to the good news on the boycott being resolved, it looks like Barry is restructuring his business practices by asking the sponsors, vendors and others to pay in advance of the tournament start date.
It is time for us to restructure our methods of receiving funds from the sponsor, vendors and others in order to be able to pay players in full at the event. We ask our loyal vendors to please be prepared to pay in full by September 15, 2011 to assure and hold your booth space. Shannon and I have always appreciated all of you, but now we must restructure our method of you paying us, as we have to have all funds available to pay players. So now you have over 70 days before the event knowing that we need to have all the cash on hand.​

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice to have good news

This is good news indeed......Perhaps it is not Mr. Behrman's style, but I thought some of the suggestions presented on this board were really good ones, to perhaps alleviate some of the money problems, he could restructure his tournament to add less money, stop paying the way of past champions, cut down on expenses by using another venue, etc. At least until the economic situation improves anyway. (Whenever the H that will be.)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I missed it on the main page, though I'm not sure how! The logos of the groups have appeared in the news so frequently, I gazed over the latest happening, the good news. :embarrassed2:

Hopefully, the players and the Open will live happily ever after!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Wonder who the next boycott target will be ?

I hope the ABP learned how not to negotiate from this deal.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope that within the negotiations, Barry retracted his generous offer of continuing to pay the entry fee for past champions. It was kind of him, but completely unnecessary. I haven't heard of any other tournament that does that.

I'm glad that I will be able to see more of the best players in the world play, but I would have been just as happy if they didn't make it. I woulld have still seen quality pool playing from Mr. Earl Strickland!

Great news though!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder who the next boycott target will be ?

+1...though I doubt there will be another target.

I can't think of anything to say really, aside from I believe this episode was a huge setback for Professional Pool's prognosis.

Then again, the UPA didn't really leave it any worse.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great news and what everyone wanted as an outcome. We should now be getting behind the players, sponsors, Barry, Shannon and everyone else involved and make this the best Open ever.

I hope this will be reviewed positively here in all posts. Unfortunately there will, I suspect, still be those who chose to make snide little comments towards both sides. Let's all be as positive as we can and not give any further ammunition for people to knock Pool.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with everyone else, I am glad to hear that things have been settled and agreed upon. I couldn't help but chuckle when I read where Barry stated "While the pool public in general was under the impression that discussions were not taking place and that each side had stubbornly drawn a line in the sand, rest assured that representatives of both camps were busy trying to reach a workable solution and that many others in the industry were pitching in with offers of help and other valuable advice."

I had to go back and look at the past statements from Barry to confirm what I thought I remembered.

"I cannot allow the U.S. Open to be threatened by individuals whom will not return a call or email. In fact, I personally called Johnny Archer 15-20 times in the past couple of weeks, and sent many emails to discuss this year's event, and not once did he answer or return any of my attempts."

"After the position of the ABP was communicated to Mr. Behrman, no further effort was made by Mr. Behrman to negotiate and he issued a press release that negotiations had come to an impasse."

It is no big surprise that "the pool public in general was under the impression that discussions were not taking place and that each side had stubbornly drawn a line in the sand". :rolleyes:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Glad it's over.

I'm not surprised.

Hopefully things will be done in a better fashion in the future, for all concerned.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

What did they learn? They looked like a$$es but they got what they wanted, all except maybe the seeding. They probably think they are geniuses.

Glad it's over, there are enough soap operas on tv to get our fix :). Now back to playing pool, yay.

Dave

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I am glad they came to resolution. I'm sure the ABP will update their website to reflect that resolution.

Hopefully the ABP will speak loudly of the success of both parties to obtain a reasonable solution...given that they came out with guns a blazing.

It would be pretty lame to slink away & not say anything given their extreme behavior at the outset of this fracas.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope that within the negotiations, Barry retracted his generous offer of continuing to pay the entry fee for past champions. It was kind of him, but completely unnecessary. I haven't heard of any other tournament that does that.

I'm glad that I will be able to see more of the best players in the world play, but I would have been just as happy if they didn't make it. I woulld have still seen quality pool playing from Mr. Earl Strickland!

Great news though!

Does he pay the entry or do they get a free entry, if he does pay it is definitely cash out of his pocket if he gives free entry then the pot is short that amount.

I think the players got all they asked for in the initial deman short of the seeding so hopefully the entire boycott list will play. I have never been to the US open but am considering a visit this year.

Good luck to all who play in the US Open.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does he pay the entry or do they get a free entry, if he does pay it is definitely cash out of his pocket if he gives free entry then the pot is short that amount. ...

Barry adds the money to the prize pool, which totaled $180,000 last year.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I can't wait for this players meeting! :welcome:

You know it will be all kum-by-ah and shit. Barry will talk for 30 minutes about how great it is to work everything out and the people who actually were behind the boycott probably wont even be in the room.

I'm not a cynic in real life but I play one on the internet.