What is the closest an amateur level player has ever come to winning an event at DCC?

This question is for those that have really been into the pool scene over the present and past years of the DCC.

This is off topic, but I wonder how players like Andy Quinn and Pat Mcmillan (if you knew them, from the St. Louis area) did at DCC (if they attended over the years).

They were great players, and I think they would have had a decent chance in a short race to 7 format.

I am just very curious.

Thanks

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This question is for those that have really been into the pool scene over the present and past years of the DCC.

This is off topic, but I wonder how players like Andy Quinn and Pat Mcmillan (if you knew them, from the St. Louis area) did at DCC (if they attended over the years).

They were great players, and I think they would have had a decent chance in a short race to 7 format.

I am just very curious.

Thanks
That all depends... for banks, where would you put (the late) Larry Price?

Is Jamie Baraks a professional? He came in 2nd in the 9-ball.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Troy Frank won the 9ball one year.
Dee Adkins lost to Ginky in the final of the 9ball.
Are they both "professionals" or just phenomenal regional players?

Food for thought of this whole "pro" "amateur" definition thing that never gets solved.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
John Brumback -- can't remember the last professional event he played in besides the banks.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Whitey Stephenson took 3rd in the Banks of the first or second DCC.

His kid Tommy demolished Earl in the 9ball a couple years later in the early rounds. (No, he didn't win the whole thing, but figured to throw that in since it was an amateur crushing a champion)

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
John Brumback -- can't remember the last professional event he played in besides the banks.

Just to clarify this, JB (as far as I know) does only play in the DCC event once a year and that's about it. But he always enters all three divisions and has won the Master of the table award and got third overall in the DCC MTA award last year. Pretty good for someone who plays in one tourney per year.

Sadly, this may be the new model for "pros" and top amateurs. The travel nut is a tough one to crack, so it does make a lot of sense to just play whatever tourney happens to be near your region of the US. Too bad, but it is what it is.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member

I am just very curious.

Thanks

Az Jay came in 14th in 2003 in 9 ball.

Similar capabilities at this time frame.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...pretty sure I saw an amateur beat Parica at Hardtimes couple years back...:eek:

Hey, what can I say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. That was a perfect example of an amateur playing out of his mind, coupled with the better player performing down to the level of his competition. ;) :smile:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year it was running a chainsaw and a splitting maul cuttin firewood every day for a month leading up to the dcc.

It's good for banks,not so much for 9ball or one pocket tho,haha. John B.
Thanks John, and congrats on proving again that you're the world's best bank pool player!

You're an inspiration to the people who play pool only a fraction of their lives.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year it was running a chainsaw and a splitting maul cuttin firewood every day for a month leading up to the dcc.

It's good for banks,not so much for 9ball or one pocket tho,haha. John B.

This kinda sounds like Tom Sawyer but trying to get someone to cut firewood to play better banks.