Bobcad/Cam

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone had experience with the Bobcad Software? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it good or bad.

Thanks

Ray

homer

Banned
Bobcad software is sold to you that's it. There is no support and they don't call you any more pushing it on you.

In other words , you're on your own once you've shelled out the bucks.
Granted, I'm sure it's nice software, but who's going to teach you how to use it?

Pancerny

Mike Pancerny
Silver Member
They are pretty bad about hounding you to buy it once you download the trial. I use it and it works well, but the comments about their support are right on...you get is for a limited time after purchase and after that they won't even speak to you unless you buy their support plan.
Mike

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
Rybord said:
Has anyone had experience with the Bobcad Software? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it good or bad.

Thanks

Ray
Bobcad is very easy to use, and very inexpensive as far as CNC machining goes. We use Bobcad with our CNC machine, and typically someone with no CAD experience can be programming in hours. The downside is they hound you for sure over and over... Try to buy it 2nd hand for sure, so they do not get your info to bug you... Let me know if you need any assistance if you purchase it.

homer

Banned
Bob Cad

Billiard bum, i was at one time interested in Bob Cad/Cam I'm curios as to which programs you did purchase. I'd hate to over or under buy and have software that i'd never use.
It always nice to know that you're there if someone needs some help with it. i'll keep you in mind.

HPbyGD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Ray
I have had a couple of versions of Babcad starting with #17 than #19 and #20. For simple cue work you could use version #17 . It wouldn't cost to much proably to get a used copy. It is pretty simple to use and will do most of what you would need. Like nay software you will go through a learning curve. When I bought my CNC mill I had no experiance at CNC and was making parts in a couple of weeks. I did by there training tapes to help me get started. They will also cut you a deal in that you should have to pay anywhere what the have posted.
Gary

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to thank everyone for your input here!!!!! I know I'll need to ask more questions later. I do appreciate the help!!!!!!

Thanks again, Ray

Adonisy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HPbyGD said:
Hi Ray
I have had a couple of versions of Babcad starting with #17 than #19 and #20. For simple cue work you could use version #17 . It wouldn't cost to much proably to get a used copy. It is pretty simple to use and will do most of what you would need. Like nay software you will go through a learning curve. When I bought my CNC mill I had no experiance at CNC and was making parts in a couple of weeks. I did by there training tapes to help me get started. They will also cut you a deal in that you should have to pay anywhere what the have posted.
Gary

could you tell me
which version is better to use , and how much ?
I use #17 , but I want use more powerful function , but I don't know
#19 or #20 have which function I can use , thanks:)

HPbyGD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that the stuff that we are doing in a cue stick is so simple that any of the versions that I have seen from #17 on will do it . What do you mean a "more powerful functions"?
Gary

Adonisy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HPbyGD said:
I think that the stuff that we are doing in a cue stick is so simple that any of the versions that I have seen from #17 on will do it . What do you mean a "more powerful functions"?
Gary

I want put sample image into babcad....:)

HPbyGD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that you can do this by putting the image in Corel Draw and exporting as a .DXF to Bobcad. I bought Bob Art to do this but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Also there are some web sites that have .dxf files of images that you can get for free I have heard.
Gary

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
HPbyGD said:
I've heard that you can do this by putting the image in Corel Draw and exporting as a .DXF to Bobcad. I bought Bob Art to do this but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Also there are some web sites that have .dxf files of images that you can get for free I have heard.
Gary
You can do the same with MasterCam.
Draw using Corel then exporting as dxf.
Import it with Mastercam, then choose to pocket or make part on MasterCam.
Not the most accurate way of doing though I am told.
Why not just draw with Mastercam, I am told.

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
You can do the same with MasterCam.
Draw using Corel then exporting as dxf.
Import it with Mastercam, then choose to pocket or make part on MasterCam.
Not the most accurate way of doing though I am told.
Why not just draw with Mastercam, I am told.
The issue is cost though...MasterCam is not less than $300 for the latest version, and BobCad is. I am working on Version 20 now, and BobArt does allow you to scan pictures for Version 20 easily.

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like how they try to sell you a program that says right on the label $200 and try to sell it to you for $500. I bought version 20.5 and the bobart. I ended up paying $200 for the bobart and the salesman kept saying it was $500. He "threw it in at $200 as a deal closer" when I get the package it says $200 right on the printed label. I personally think that is a shitty way of doing buisness. I see it as nothing but flat out lying to the customer. I am using gibbs for my machine so after trying bobcam I did not care for it. I may give it another try this summer but as for now it is on the shelf. Chris.

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using bobcad for about 4 years now and find it very easy to use. The trick to buying anything from bobcad it always buy it on friday afternoon. The salesman get paid by their total sales for the week, they are all scrambling to make the next pay plateu on friday afternoon. I've imported images off the internet and had it programmed in not time, very easy to use. Let me know if you need help.

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
BobCad

Version 20 is the HOT SET-UP for BobCad. You can import DFX files and do scrolls as well as draw right in the program. They also have a "roving" 3 day class. I took it several years ago and it was informative even though it was not directly related to cue making. The instructor, Sorin, was great and he has had several cue makers in his classes so he knew how to address scrolls and other issues directly related to cue making.

Bob Flynn
Denali Pool Cues

Kenny

Murrell Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have been using bobcad for a while now, very easy to use, quick to learn. I use the nesting program allot, great for cutting inlays, price is kind of high though. Also, the nesting program only works in version 21 now, so you have to upgrade. Bob art will allow you to import images, etc from jpg files and dxf files and some others. My wife uses it to do 3D relief images in wood and they mostly come from jpg pictures that people send her via email. If you have any questions, give me a shout and I will try to answer your questions about bobcad.
A friend of mine has a machine shop and uses mastercam for his cnc centers, very accurate, but at $35,000 for the program, it was a bit cost prohibitive for me.
Safe turning,
Kenny