What poolroom did you learn to play at? Who were your mentors?

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to play in my dads poolroom, Boyce's Billiards in Hesperia, Ca. My mentors were Mike Boyce (my dad), Dave Kirby, and Dean Brussard.
John Schmidt also learned to play at Boyce's around the same time as me.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
Purdue billiard room. No real mentors, guess that's why it took so long to learn...

-s

will8834

Adcock Cues
Silver Member
I started my misspent youth at a bowling alley with 15 brunswick pool tables. Arc Lanes in Evansville Indiana. The guys that taught me to play where Skyler, (RIP) Larry Mayor (RIP) Bobbie Newbols, George Dillard and Steve Parsons. My buddy was a really good player for his age Jeremy Brown. We where about 16 and I had a car and a job and would take him around town and stake him. We generally got the best of it.
Each one had alot to offer in advise and always open to playing cheap.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I first started playing in Lansing, MI, at a place called The Hall of Fame Billiards, but I soon moved back to California, where I was originally from, and started playing at Hard Times. I was kind of lucky in growing up playing at Hard Times because, on any given day, there might have been a half dozen champions in the room. The Sunday tournaments back in the late 80's/early 90's there were, arguably, the toughest weekly tournaments in the country.

I must know you because I do know who Mike Boyce is and I remember meeting his son so, if that's you, we've met. :)

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
I first started playing in Lansing, MI, at a place called The Hall of Fame Billiards, but I soon moved back to California, where I was originally from, and started playing at Hard Times. I was kind of lucky in growing up playing at Hard Times because, on any given day, there might have been a half dozen champions in the room. The Sunday tournaments back in the late 80's/early 90's there were, arguably, the toughest weekly tournaments in the country.

I must know you because I do know who Mike Boyce is and I remember meeting his son so, if that's you, we've met. :)
Yeah we did meet, I do remember you. You were probobly the 7 ball better than me back then. I remember playing in a lot of the same tournaments as you, but I don't remember ever playing you.

You're right about those sunday tournaments at Hard Times back then, the average skill level of all players was really strong. I used to love going to Hard Times and playing in that tournament, to me it was money well spent to be able to play with those guys for only $25 dollars.

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Downtown Athens, GA

I just remember my dad taking me into the old downtown Gandy poolroom in Athens, GA. I was around 11 or 12. That was in '74/75. I really didn't learn to play until he bought me an 8' valley bar table when I was 15. When we turned sixteen, we would hang out at the Brunswick bowling alley on Friday&Saturday nights on play on the 9' GCs.

oh, Steve Mizerak and Ray Martin.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
We just about always had our own bar table or nine footer in the basement but when I played outside the house it was Oceanside Bowl on Long Island, NY. My dad who had been a road player was my teacher. Johnnyt

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Michigan Union

I learned to play at the union at the U of Michigan in the 70s, a great old room with maybe 40 old Brunwick 9 foot, 2 5 by 10s and 2 Billiard tables. There was no great pool players that hung out there, but the room was frequented by Carl Conlon, a 3-cushion guy who was one of the smartest and weirdest people I've ever met. Dennis Diekman, now a great cue builder, and a weiro in his own right, also was in that room every day, as was Steve Titus, the creator of "Iron Willie" and one of the founders of Preditor.

Inzombiac

Silver Member
I started hitting pool hard almost immediately after my 21st birthday with maybe a little dabbling before then. I'm still in the hall I learned in, Fast Eddie's Culebra, San Antonio TX. I credit my friend/nemesis, Zack A.K.A Hierovision, with bringing me to the game of pool and giving me a great foundation to learn. After he moved, I've been picking up knowledge here and there and of course AZ. My other two mentors are my teammates Joey and Noah, who've taught be some of the more advanced concepts of pool and really encouraged me whether I was winning or losing. About a year and a half in and I've got two first place league trophies on the mantle and I'm looking for new places to challenge myself and move to that next level. I'll never forget Fast Eddie's as my starting point.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately I grew up too long ago around the tire companies in Akron, Ohio. Most of the room s were located near the manufacturing plants and had betting rooms in the basements. In those day none of the players wanted to tell you anything about how to play much less be a mentor. If it wasn't for Mosconi's book---I probably would have quit many years ago.

This gives me the opportunity to thank those who have written books, made tapes/DVD, and are pool instructors.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
I learned to play in my dads poolroom, Boyce's Billiards in Hesperia, Ca. My mentors were Mike Boyce (my dad), Dave Kirby, and Dean Brussard.
John Schmidt also learned to play at Boyce's around the same time as me.

I learned to play in the 1970's at Cue and Cushion Billiards in Overland, Mo. The gentleman that helped me most then and now was the owner Bob Huddleston. Bob always took the time to answer my questions about pool and about the pool hall business in general.

Unfortunately Bob passed away a while back, however, the business he built is in the capable hands of his sons, who also are Az members with the screen name Cue and Cushion. In addition, I have since opened a pool room of my own in Lakewood, WA which has also turn out successful, and much of my success in this business is certainly due to what I learned from Bob.

Have a great day!!!!!!

Last edited:

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pool Room i started playing at was Rack&Roll in Victoria Va...My mentors would be my father and Bernie Kirby...both of which i cant play better than,,,well..i can get my dad every once in a while since he stoped playing but a big HELL NO on the even playing close to the speed of Bernie..but i love the fact that he is willing to help me...even if i get scared of missing a simple shot around him..he still is always willing to help me and i thank him for that.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was self taught. I used to skip school just to watch a 19 year old play at
the Lucky 13 or Sunrise Billiard Halls. He was giving the shortstops almost
the nuts playing Rotation, but I guess the nuts wasn't good enough as he kept
on winning most of the live action until he ran out of competition. That was in
the early 70s... :cool:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got my start at the Cue & Bridge and Winks (Forest Park Billiards) in Dayton, Ohio in the 60's. George Rood was THE MAN and I watched him every chance I got. Another old guy named Jake Spitler showed me things and made me practice ALL games, since in those days, there was a Snooker and a Billiard table in the room.

I followed Fats around like a puppy dog. He let me carry his cue and ride in his limo with him. He was non stop FUNNY 24 hours a day. He taught me how to "maneuver", as he put it. And no one did it better than the Fat man.

Last edited:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm completely self taught also, just from trying various shots, as a kid, and watching many players and shots that I saw on TV :)

I can't remember the name of the room, that I first started playing, as it was in a small town, I'm gonna try and find the name of the room, and if I do, I'll add it into this post :)

Willie

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Royal Cue in Mankato, Mn.

"Blackie" showed me a lot of things, mostly good but alas, some not so true.

We learn from everyone. Then we weed out the info and put it into our game.

There were no Instructors when I was learning, just bad books.

Later on I was very fortunate to have Jerry Briesath as a mentor.......SPF=randyg

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I first played at Pete Caselli's St. Clair Shores Recreation, and later Kelly Cue and Playland Recreation. My mentor, and the mentor of dozens of young players on Detroit's east side, was the great player Jesse "One Eyed Jesse" Webb. God rest his soul, and I hope they play "Liability" up there, coz if they do, Jesse's stealin' ;) ...Tom

Jeffrey Gale

My WoW stick.
Silver Member
The Golden Cue in Queens on Queens Blvd. My grandfarther and his friends in the pool hall taught me how to play, 40 years ago.