Who doesn't have access to a good pool room?

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got transferred to Port Arthur, Tx. last summer. Anyone who has never been to Port Arthur is not missing much, its a total hole, so my wife and I decided to buy a house in Mt. Belvieu which is about 35 east of downtown Houston. Houston has a great pool hall called Bogies open 24/7, problem is its about 50 miles from my house. There's another nice room in League City which is also about 50 miles from my house.
When I was single I didn't mind driving long distances to play pool, I used to drive 80 miles to play pool at Hard Times Bellfower back when I was in my early 20's, but now with a wife and kids I just don't have enough time to drive an hour or more to play pool. I am not used to not having an adequate pool room nearby, and I don't like it. Who else feels my pain out there?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
weird

I almost started the same thread this morning. I live 100 miles from the nearest pool hall, there are just a few tables here. Nobodies very serious about the game where I live. It drives me crazy sometimes, I also have a job and family that keeps me tied down so I spent a bunch of money to build a addition to the house and built a pool room. I had a nice Olhausen table for 14 years and sold it in December and ordered a Diamond pro.It is taking longer then expected but it will be here soon. It has given me allot of time to think about pool and pool-halls. I have watched every youtube video, read everything there is on the net about pool.Joined AZ Forums and am rereading Playing off the rail again just to pass the time until the new tables in.;)

BPG24

Banned
No good poll rooms here either!!!

In fact not many 9 foot tables at all. Tournaments are scarce etc.

Oh well, summer is coming soon back to the course

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I live about 70 miles from the nearest 9 footers. The road through a mountain pass thats a *****.. even on days when it doesn't snow the wind blows drifts on the road. Putting the table in my house has been very theraputic.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
30 miles one way to 9' tables for me. I try to make it there at least a few times per month. Locally? Poorly maintained Valley Bar boxes...and I don't even want to get started about the bars themselves. :( (edit) I should be more honest here...there is a place in nearby (10 miles or so) Albany, Oregon. I don't go there. Don't like the recent management that turned a once nice pool hall into a sort-of nightclub.

Last edited:

BigDaddyInc.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matcase said:
I live about 70 miles from the nearest 9 footers. The road through a mountain pass thats a *****.. even on days when it doesn't snow the wind blows drifts on the road. Putting the table in my house has been very theraputic.
I to feel the pain of no poolroom to go to. And its really starting to get on my nerves. I used to have several nice rooms to choose from but then i moved. I never thought i would have such a problem but here i am 100 miles from a decent poolroom. Fortunately i moved into a house with a nice basement now i have to come up with the cash to get a table and have it delivered and set up. I love to play but can't justify driving that far to play with gas prices the way they they are.

islandtime

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't mean to one-up you guys but....
20 miles to airport, then 300+ to Miami gets me close!

We've got some great fishing though...:)
bob

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
islandtime said:
Don't mean to one-up you guys but....
20 miles to airport, then 300+ to Miami gets me close!

We've got some great fishing though...:)
bob

The Bahamas?

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be worse I guess...

There is a room near where I work that I could pop in on at lunch or after work...nice room with good 9' tables...but maybe I'm getting old...okay I am getting old...but still the 'music' sounds like funeral music to me and way way way too loud...

I wouldn't mind a tournament now and then but there's quite a bit of travel and you have to come in first to break even...

So I play at home...and not much at that...so if you're coming to Disney with the family...I don't care who you are I'll give you the wild eight in a race to 7 at 9-ball for $50...that will buy you a pretty good breakfast at Disney...lol unless you have kids...

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I quess Im Lucky, I could throw a rock and hit the hall I frequent, (not much but we do have all 9' tables) Whitch are well maintained, (in part due to yours truely) Other wise, yes about an hour or more,

SPINDOKTOR

P.S. I have two golf courses too! Both are within 20 miles!!!! But I dont play, maybe I'll take it up, hehe the closest I have been to a Golf course is the driving range.. and I suck!

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sportys or the Palace in Greenville, SC is about 25 miles from me, but really nothing locally. My financial situation won't allow me to go to Greenvile a whole lot.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Dang I feel for you guys ...

But guess I'm lucky too our pool room is old and a little on the run down side it only has three old 9 ft tabes in it they are not the best but they try to keep them up ... You can always find a nine ball game there for a little bit of something ... And they alway have a poker game going ... Most of the local bars have tournaments but they pay half the prize money and put the rest into a pot where after 16 weeks they have a big tourney for the other half of the cash for those that qualify by playing at least 6 tourneys and having a top finish in one of them, We have leagues going year round . It is really pretty good I guess for a small town in the south ... We live pretty close to some bigger cities also that do alot of things...

I do miss the snooker table I grew up playing on out in Hemet Caliornia's old pool room. but they did not have half the action there that they do here. Then I am told the town has really grown in the past 20 years. We use to have to run to Riverside , O.C. and L.A. to find some action...

kennyratt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chesapeake & Va. BEACH

About 65 miles to The US OPEN & Barry's place.It really sucked when our local hall removed thier tables and went to more of a club business.My wife & I built a room for our Diamond table; it's really nice, but not quite the same. Regards, Kennyratt p.s. Rep request for player out in the sticks, please.

poolplayer1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't get me started....

We had about 4 or 5 pool rooms in town. A guy who owns a pool room supply business opens a big room, and undercuts the prices of all the others, effectively killing every single one over a few years time. Then the @$$hole starts letting some teens run the room, and they treat all his customers like crap and steal everything not nailed down, all while he's goofing off somewhere. Pretty soon, he closes his doors too, and now we don't have squat here, except two little crappy bar tables in a bowling alley that has fights every weekend, and two little crappy bar tables in a video game room in a mall, which are the worst ever. What a *#&$ing crock! I KNOW there's enough players in town to support a room, and no one has either the $$$$ or the cajones to open one. That sucks! Me personally, I just don't have the $$$$, but I have helped run pool rooms before, and know how to cover tables, maintain them, and everything else.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I think I may be transferring back to San Francisco this next summer, and I am looking to move to Mountain View, which has a great pool room with great equipment. If it works out that will be great, if not looks like I am gonna start golfing, should have done that a long time ago really.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
A retired pool player in Northern Cal actually talked about selling his house and moving closer to Mountain View because the pool hall there is so much better. 90 minute drive, so gas would kill me to play there but it still almost seems worth it. Snooker, heated billiard tables, good pool tables including triple shimmed tourney tables.

BPG24

Banned
bud green said:
A retired pool player in Northern Cal actually talked about selling his house and moving closer to Mountain View because the pool hall there is so much better. 90 minute drive, so gas would kill me to play there but it still almost seems worth it. Snooker, heated billiard tables, good pool tables including triple shimmed tourney tables.

That place sounds awesome!!!

I have always wanted to try 3C, it looks like something i would really enjoy.
Also haven't seen a snooker table that people actually played snooker on in years