Fixing left to right swing in offhand stroke

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
I've been learning to play with my offhand. I have not had a problem fixing my up and down wobble when stroking but side to side is pretty Wild especially when hitting lag speed and harder. I've been doing the bottle exercise and practicing but no fix yet. Any suggestions?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I just happened to take a lesson and they showed me a great drill to test how straight you stroke
at higher speeds (well above lag speed). This will make it clear how bad you steer and
you can try different fixes and immediately see the results.

The 1 and 2 are exactly 2 ball widths apart (so just line up 4 balls and remove the middle pair).
Shoot hard enough to pass through the gap, back up to the head rail, then back down the table
and through the gap AGAIN.

At this hard speed you stroke flaws will really show up. I often hit one of those balls
immediately after bouncing off the first rail.

You will need to figure out a fix that works for you, such as holding the arm further from your body,
or closer, tucking in your elbow, or cocking your wrist inward a bit.

1EHN563.jpg

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I just happened to take a lesson and they showed me a great drill to test how straight you stroke
at higher speeds (well above lag speed). This will make it clear how bad you steer and
you can try different fixes and immediately see the results.

The 1 and 2 are exactly 2 ball widths apart (so just line up 4 balls and remove the middle pair).
Shoot hard enough to pass through the gap, back up to the head rail, then back down the table
and through the gap AGAIN.

At this hard speed you stroke flaws will really show up. I often hit one of those balls
immediately after bouncing off the first rail.

You will need to figure out a fix that works for you, such as holding the arm further from your body,
or closer, tucking in your elbow, or cocking your wrist inward a bit.

1EHN563.jpg

Drills like this are very revealing. One of the most revealing aspects just might be how we all tend to disrespect shots we deem not so tough.

I think with drills like this intermediate players will find that it isn't they can't do it, but rather they haven't devoted the focus and concentration the shot deserves. After realizing that, the percentage of success goes way up as our focus does.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
That's the easy version Creedo. You need a straight stroke to shoot with english too.

Try this one:

je79.jpg

Of course, speed is important too, so it only counts if you leave the CB on the short rail.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I will try that version later this never and report back my results!

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Its frustrating at best

Practice one handed with the off hand...Any drill any shot, no drill no shots.
just smack the cue ball around.
1 handed...case closed

oneballeddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I like it

That's the easy version Creedo. You need a straight stroke to shoot with english too.

Try this one:

je79.jpg

Of course, speed is important too, so it only counts if you leave the CB on the short rail.

Once it became routine I added two features which really force a straight stroke. First i do 50 one handed and then 50 one handed behind my back with my eyes closed.