Magic Chalk :)

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, we don't really need another chalk thread, but just wanted to talk about my experience because I'm firmly in the "Master is good enough" camp.

And Master IS good enough...really is. It works and it's cheap. That said, Magic Chalk works better, is much neater, and....ready for this.....seems to be just as cheap, or nearly so.

I pay about $.25 a cube for Master (less if I want to buy by the gross, but I usually buy a few 12 packs at a time because it's easier to store and work with). I will typically go through a cube every session, or at the most every 2. It wears quickly, and worse than that it seems like the inside is much different than the outside. Once I use just a bit of the Master, it just stops sticking well, and it also starts making an incredible mess. I get a rain of chalk all over the place as I apply it, and I'm not one that grinds it on. I gently brush it on pretty deliberately. It's also very inconsistent. Sometimes I toss cubes after a few racks because they're garbage right from the outset.

I'm still on my first cube of Magic Chalk. It's been about a month. I'm not even halfway through it yet. It's dense, consistent and seems to be noticeably cleaner than Master. In terms of value, it doesn't seem to really cost a premium because it's usable for such a long time, compared to Master which I have to toss after a day or two. I'm not going to bother to try and work out a real cost difference here because it won't be significant....we're talking pennies a month one way or another.

I don't have any opinion on the whole "number of shots without miscuing" stuff that everyone seems to talk about. I chalk before every shot, and that's that.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this because I tried the MC on a whim, and I was really 100% expecting to be completely underwhelmed and disappointed. Now that I've had a month to play with it, I have to say that it's not only a good product (which everyone already knew), but most surprisingly it seems to be a good value too.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk Economics

MC runs about $.4.75- $4.85 per cube. Some other equivalent chalk brands cost less & perform as well.
Blue Diamond costs about $2 less per cube and IMO, it offers the best value & equivalent performance.
All things considered, the price of chalk is relatively insignificant vs. the overall costs associated w/pool.
So whatever brand you settle upon, as long as you like it, then that's all that really matters, even for MC.

Matt B.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MC runs about $.4.75- $4.85 per cube. Some other equivalent chalk brands cost less & perform as well.
Blue Diamond costs about $2 less per cube and IMO, it offers the best value & equivalent performance.
All things considered, the price of chalk is relatively insignificant vs. the overall costs associated w/pool.
So whatever brand you settle upon, as long as you like it, then that's all that really matters, even for MC.

Matt B.

I've tried BD and I think it's very messy, regardless of price.

Arete

Registered
I never had a problem with chalk until I got a Kamui tip. Now I can miscue right after chalking unless I scuff my tip every other rack. You think MC can help with that?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am firmly in the Magic Chalk camp too. Blue Diamond is too messy in my opinion. Magic Chalk is well worth the price...I guard my cube at the pool hall (well, I always let people use it, but am careful not to let it walk),

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had a problem with chalk until I got a Kamui tip. Now I can miscue right after chalking unless I scuff my tip every other rack. You think MC can help with that?

I have the same issue with my Ultraskin tips...have to scuff them a lot. That's actually why I tried MC in the first place. Yes, it helps. Instead of every rack or two, I'm just scuffing a couple of times a night.

Arete

Registered
I have the same issue with my Ultraskin tips...have to scuff them a lot. That's actually why I tried MC in the first place. Yes, it helps. Instead of every rack or two, I'm just scuffing a couple of times a night.

The tip has got to go but if MC can be pro for it then it should really work on a different tip.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
" I will typically go through a cube every session, or at the most every 2."

You must be a driller...that's a lot of chalk to use, your hands must be blue.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And you must not bother to read before posting.

edit:
I re-read this and realize it came off a lot snippier and ruder than I actually meant it. I apologize.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip has got to go but if MC can be pro for it then it should really work on a different tip.

Tip's fine. Kamuis are the same way. Probably has more to do with how I like the tip more than any performance issue since I never miscue regardless...maybe a couple of times a year. I like the way the Ultraskins play best of all of them, so the tip stays. :)

I'm used to playing with non-layered tips, and they hold chalk better than any layered tip IMHO, so it really probably is just me. I should just relax about it, but it only takes a second to keep it perfect and makes me feel better.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
A cube in one session ?

Tommy !
You must be the guy in the corner gritting his teeth with the cube of chalk between his feet with his cue upside down, twisting it back and forth and looks like some caveman trying to start a camp fire on a 30 below winter day . .

One cube in one session is more chalk then I have ever heard anyone using in my life ..

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy !
You must be the guy in the corner gritting his teeth with the cube of chalk between his feet with his cue upside down, twisting it back and forth and looks like some caveman trying to start a camp fire on a 30 below winter day . .

One cube in one session is more chalk then I have ever heard anyone using in my life ..

I said that, not Tommy. He just didn't do the quote thing right. Read my first post. I toss them because once it starts wearing a bit, it changes and starts making a mess. For $.25, I can afford to toss it every day or two. MC is much better in this regard. It seems to be pretty much the same through the entire cube.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very seldom read or hear people complain about BD being messy. I've been using it for >5 years
and it is the every bit as clean as MC from my experience & I have both chalks but only play BD.
Based upon my observations, at least 1/2 of all pool players chalk incorrectly & don't even know.
That's why cue shafts & hands get so dirty but at least with ivory ferrules, there isn't any chalk buildup.
It basically comes down to using any chalk you happen to like as long as you chalk after every shot.

Attachments

• AZ photo.jpg
    AZ photo.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Miscellaneous 4-18-16 028.jpg
    Miscellaneous 4-18-16 028.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 447

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 on the MC regardless of cost. Good stuff. On a side note, I loathe layered tips that need constant attention.

Have a good weekend,

-Kat,

OK, we don't really need another chalk thread, but just wanted to talk about my experience because I'm firmly in the "Master is good enough" camp.

And Master IS good enough...really is. It works and it's cheap. That said, Magic Chalk works better, is much neater, and....ready for this.....seems to be just as cheap, or nearly so.

I pay about $.25 a cube for Master (less if I want to buy by the gross, but I usually buy a few 12 packs at a time because it's easier to store and work with). I will typically go through a cube every session, or at the most every 2. It wears quickly, and worse than that it seems like the inside is much different than the outside. Once I use just a bit of the Master, it just stops sticking well, and it also starts making an incredible mess. I get a rain of chalk all over the place as I apply it, and I'm not one that grinds it on. I gently brush it on pretty deliberately. It's also very inconsistent. Sometimes I toss cubes after a few racks because they're garbage right from the outset.

I'm still on my first cube of Magic Chalk. It's been about a month. I'm not even halfway through it yet. It's dense, consistent and seems to be noticeably cleaner than Master. In terms of value, it doesn't seem to really cost a premium because it's usable for such a long time, compared to Master which I have to toss after a day or two. I'm not going to bother to try and work out a real cost difference here because it won't be significant....we're talking pennies a month one way or another.

I don't have any opinion on the whole "number of shots without miscuing" stuff that everyone seems to talk about. I chalk before every shot, and that's that.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this because I tried the MC on a whim, and I was really 100% expecting to be completely underwhelmed and disappointed. Now that I've had a month to play with it, I have to say that it's not only a good product (which everyone already knew), but most surprisingly it seems to be a good value too.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kamui tips will glaze over frequently, so you will still need to chalk often no matter the brand. MC will help some, but I'd recommend a new tip.

Had the same issues, switched to a Zan Premium Soft, and never looked back.

Still use MC.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

I have a Kamui Black Soft on my playing cue. I never miscue because of the tip or chalk. I have been using Magic Chalk for almost two years. I originally bought two cubes to try. I bought six more. I still have five unused cubes. I have only used up 3/4 of one cube, of the three, that I carry in different cases.

I have Kamui tips on two shafts and I have never had miscuing problems with either shaft.

hejests

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a blue diamond user for a few years. I think it's substantially better than Master chalk. That said, I started using Magic Chalk about a month ago and I like it quite a bit better than both. The texture and coverage works better for me and my shaft stays a lot cleaner longer than it did with BD. (I'm a chalk before every shot type of player).

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

WOW. Thanks John. Very nice to hear what users think. I knew you had ordered, but sometime you just never know how much they will like it.

And yes, we've turned a lot of BD users into MC users. And I'm sure BD is very good chalk, but for whatever reason, many prefer MC. That's fine by me. We know one person who likes BD over MC, as he posts it every single time there is a MC thread. But to the thousands of others, it seems to work for them :)

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Arete, I'm sure of it. If not, there is a money back guarantee ;) And that includes the shipping so you are NOT out one single penny.

I too use a Kamui tip, as do many others.

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MC is much better than Masters no doubt about it, I actually like the Blue Diamond a little better and being a little less $ is just a bonus. MC performance seemed to get worse as I used it (humidity get to it? IDK)