Diamond versus Brunswick

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
This was my last table......the beautiful Brunswick Anniversary. Although 60+ years old it played great. I had a lot of fun playing on this table, esp the straight pool.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_657.jpg

This is my current table. 9' solid cherry Diamond Professional. I think this is the best looking table that Diamond makes. The legs give it a little of the GC look.

3398AF30-0558-4896-8DBB-8EAE17ED0880.jpg

It has drop pockets with the new net-like pocket liners. I like these but the wooden apron butts up right against the pocket so when the ball enters the pocket it often has this a very loud, annoying "CLUNK". Not sure how they could fix this, perhaps a styrofoam-like lining attached to the back of the pocket?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or

GC all the way for this dead horse. I don’t care if they are made on Mars. They play better, and I’d rather own and play on one.

Play better or easier ? Some complain that the Diamonds are too challenging and that it will discourage new/ young players from getting interested .

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
This was my last table......the beautiful Brunswick Anniversary. Although 60+ years old it played great. I had a lot of fun playing on this table, esp the straight pool.

View attachment 508892

This is my current table. 9' solid cherry Diamond Professional. I think this is the best looking table that Diamond makes. The legs give it a little of the GC look.

View attachment 508896

It has drop pockets with the new net-like pocket liners. I like these but the wooden apron butts up right against the pocket so when the ball enters the pocket it often has this a very loud, annoying "CLUNK". Not sure how they could fix this, perhaps a styrofoam-like lining attached to the back of the pocket?

Actually, DTL's tables are the best 2 ever...pick one of these and be happy.

Edit:. Or get a Brunswick centennial!

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They plain and simply play better. True to the game itself. The diamonds not only bank different (that’s all I ever hear) but the way they take when coming off the rails is entirely different. You have to be cautious. Cautious is not a good way homeowner start playing pool not to play any game with speed. If it’s one pocket....diamond all the way. There are shots you can twist on a diamond that are not possible on a GC. Not to mention the shelf. Which lends to difficulty playing offense but also to defense with a ball stuck far in your hole.

I am GC all the way for anything but one hole on a GC and even then it’s not bad at one pocket either. Diamond just has an edge there.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love playing on both.
That being said, Ya can't beat the "thwack" sound the object ball makes when struck center pocket on the Gold Crown.

I go with the Brunswick.

Same about love playing on both. However the Goldcrown is modern art. It has a timeless beauty. Either table is 1st class.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone like certain type and brands for all sorts of reason but there is one thing to remember no matter what:

If you can play at a very high level on "x" table then you can play at a high level on "any" table...........

Buy whatever the hell you like and worry about more important things that are far more important to your game.

I know waaaaayyyyyyy to many people that have really, really nice tables and thousands of dollars worth of cues that have a hard time putting a damn 5 pack together in 9 ball or can't even make the transition from one rack to another in 14.1.

I understand that everyone wants nice chit but everyone should at least learn to use it as well.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Everyone like certain type and brands for all sorts of reason but there is one thing to remember no matter what:

If you can play at a very high level on "x" table then you can play at a high level on "any" table...........

Buy whatever the hell you like and worry about more important things that are far more important to your game.

I know waaaaayyyyyyy to many people that have really, really nice tables and thousands of dollars worth of cues that have a hard time putting a damn 5 pack together in 9 ball or can't even make the transition from one rack to another in 14.1.

I understand that everyone wants nice chit but everyone should at least learn to use it as well.

Thanks for reminding me that I have a hard time with a five pac on my Diamond:sorry:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for reminding me that I have a hard time with a five pac on my Diamond:sorry:
Yeah, if you eliminated everyone here from this forum that hasn't broke-and-ran a 5-pack in 9-ball at any point in their life, there wouldn't be many left!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I played competitively for three decades and I could probably count the times I ran five racks of 9-Ball (on a 9' table) on one hand. I do remember running five and out a couple of times in Five Ahead sessions and that's about it. Maybe in practice a couple of other times. But I was a lifetime "shortstop" and by no means a top player. Now if we're talking bar tables, I probably ran over five racks of Eight Ball more than a dozen times (and running five racks of 9-ball was easier). Even when I played league pool later in life I had quite a few 5-0 nights when none of my opponents got to shoot anything other than a break shot. Bar tables were/are far easier to string racks on.

That said, I played on literally dozens of different tables in my life, and all in money games too. Everything from various models of Brunswick to Gandy's, to A.E. Schmidt to AMF to National Topline to Rebco to Global to Murray and on and on. To be a money player in my day you had to have the ability to adjust quickly to the equipment you were playing on. If you stayed in action daily and kept in good stroke it wasn't that hard, just a matter of getting the speed down and figuring out the rails.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I know waaaaayyyyyyy to many people that have really, really nice tables and thousands of dollars worth of cues that have a hard time putting a damn 5 pack together in 9 ball...
You, of course, have no trouble putting 5-packs together.

pj <- :rolleyes:
chgo

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Diamond 9ft Pro-Am is about 6500 delivered and installed. I think 5600(includes a set of Cyclop balls) pre-delivery, price from 2017.

New 9ft GC-V with ball return and tournament edition(4.5"), I was quoted in excess of 9500 from a local shop.

So there you have it regarding pricing. Unless you can find a mint shape GC-4.

I can say that playing on the Diamond is significantly tougher than the GC with buckets at one of my pool hall. I'm just a low level C player though.

Chalk & Awe

Registered
New Diamond 9ft Pro-Am is about 6500 delivered and installed. I think 5600(includes a set of Cyclop balls) pre-delivery, price from 2017. New 9ft GC-V with ball return and tournament edition(4.5"), I was quoted in excess of 9500 from a local shop. So there you have it regarding pricing.

Hi fellows,

Any input about the $3,000 ($9,500 - $6,500) or 46% variance in pricing? :eek: That is a material saving!

Thanks,

C&A :)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Anytime a mfg changes the subframe setup (GC design is the best) it causes huge stance problems with ''where do your legs go''?. If the table legs are nearer the corner pockets that's not gooder, and good er is not good here. The cost of replacing pockets on a GC is nominal, and the ''sounds'' of balls pocketing on a GC are MUCH BETTER/REAL. The metal pocket irons give ya a nice place to set your cue for a moment. The metal wrap around (commercial) edge on the GC lays waste to any light colored clothing. The GC pocket irons if not flush can catch clothing, and they do ''jack ya up'' when shooting outta the pocket area. The GC ball boxes and the GC ball counters build into the table design. All I can say is DUH. Diamond never got that one figured out. Diamond wood is beautiful. Diamond makes the best bar box table in the world. But the GC frame and table set up was not designed by a jeweler.

Did you miss the memo from Brunswick, they haven't installed ball counters in the rails since the last GC3s were made....33 years ago;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you miss the memo from Brunswick, they haven't installed ball counters in the rails since the last GC3s were made....33 years ago;)
So that's why few of them work well any more. They're over 30 years old. And the room owners don't bother to replace them.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I know waaaaayyyyyyy to many people that have really, really nice tables and thousands of dollars worth of cues that have a hard time putting a damn 5 pack together in 9 ball ...

Here's a poll from 3 years ago on the most racks run during a 9-Ball competition (tournament or gambling, not practice). Note that one of our most-active posters was quite active here, checking every possible response. But, overall, about half of the voters claimed to have run a 5-or-larger 9-Ball package in competition. I found that surprisingly high. Of course it was without regard to table size and reflected lifetime best achievements.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3031

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a poll from 3 years ago on the most racks run during a 9-Ball competition (tournament or gambling, not practice). ...
More telling is the highest pack in a large tournament. I'd guess the typical max pack is less than six. And that is not as subject to reporting bias.:)