Diamond versus Brunswick

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
More telling is the highest pack in a large tournament. I'd guess the typical max pack is less than six. And that is not as subject to reporting bias.:)

During Earl's prime he was putting together fives, sixes and sevens in match after match. Of course Earl was a freak! :cool:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hi fellows,

Any input about the $3,000 ($9,500 - $6,500) or 46% variance in pricing? :eek: That is a material saving!

Thanks,

C&A :)

Well yeah. the entire bottom half of the Diamond Pro and is made of plywood and the boxes are built similarly to Valley Bar boxes. The Professionals frames are made of laminated beams. Cost is definitely the variable here. I love both, but, to me being a guy who works on both for a living, it is my opinion that the Gold Crowns are better built tables. I know everyone loves the Diamonds and how popular they are. Just because so many players love them, that does not mean their opinion on the matter of which one is built better, really means anything at all. Just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Diamond because I like hearing the balls row. Like how you hear a swish when shooting a basketball.

The GC are god damn gorgeous though and you get an old school vibe when one one.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a poll from 3 years ago on the most racks run during a 9-Ball competition (tournament or gambling, not practice). Note that one of our most-active posters was quite active here, checking every possible response. But, overall, about half of the voters claimed to have run a 5-or-larger 9-Ball package in competition. I found that surprisingly high. Of course it was without regard to table size and reflected lifetime best achievements.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3031
My hunch is that those who actually have broke-and-run 5+ consecutive racks of 9-ball in competition are generally known, and certainly do not feel a need to state it on the internet.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My hunch is that those who actually have broke-and-run 5+ consecutive racks of 9-ball in competition are generally known, and certainly do not feel a need to state it on the internet.

I've traveled quite a bit over the last ten years. I've met some posters from this site who have claimed some pretty impressive achievements on a pool table. Needless to say, many of them would have a tough time running five balls, let alone 5 racks. Not sure why people need to build themselves up online to strangers.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've traveled quite a bit over the last ten years. I've met some posters from this site who have claimed some pretty impressive achievements on a pool table. Needless to say, many of them would have a tough time running five balls, let alone 5 racks. Not sure why people need to build themselves up online to strangers.

I ran five balls once. Sho nuff.

And I have been to Chandler. Just ask any cop.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

People seem to forget that these are once in a life time achievements.
I watched a guy who gets the 6-7-8 off me and loses....run a five- pack.....
...he did another five-pack in the same year...four of them were nines on the break.

Your life time best isn’t your Fargo Rate.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...he did another five-pack in the same year...four of them were nines on the break.

I get that, and those certainly aren't the posers I'm referring to. I've seen guys in threads on here claim straight pool runs over 100 balls who can't play for crap. Met guys who've bragged on here how no one in their town will play them without a spot, only to find out they need weight from everyone around.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get that, and those certainly aren't the posers I'm referring to. I've seen guys in threads on here claim straight pool runs over 100 balls who can't play for crap. Met guys who've bragged on here how no one in their town will play them without a spot, only to find out they need weight from everyone around.

I ran 72 once and have almost always been the best player on my block. :grin-square:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

PT, it's not that most "forget", hell... most act and talk like they "never knew".

As always Sir!, you understand and don't have to be spoonfed every little detail to keep from being lost.

Since I made that post..... lol.... at least three people have contacted me asking why I said my best run is 5.... when they knew it is several games higher.

I'm not a people person. I gave up on trying to please others a long time ago. I literally don't give a chit what someone thinks about my achievements.

As EasyE said, there are lots of non-playing asshats on here. IMO, most of them are jealous, not of me (I'm nobody to be jealous of), but of most everyone that achieves the achievements that they are to lazy to reach.

I guess I should have lowered the bar a bit so "some" people would have felt more comfortable.

And for the record:

I'm pretty much the worst player I know.....but I get the feeling that I have way more fun than most. So, for that I am very, very grateful.

Rake

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
PT, it's not that most "forget", hell... most act and talk like they "never knew".

As always Sir!, you understand and don't have to be spoonfed every little detail to keep from being lost.

Since I made that post..... lol.... at least three people have contacted me asking why I said my best run is 5.... when they knew it is several games higher.

I'm not a people person. I gave up on trying to please others a long time ago. I literally don't give a chit what someone thinks about my achievements.

As EasyE said, there are lots of non-playing asshats on here. IMO, most of them are jealous, not of me (I'm nobody to be jealous of), but of most everyone that achieves the achievements that they are to lazy to reach.

I guess I should have lowered the bar a bit so "some" people would have felt more comfortable.

And for the record:

I'm pretty much the worst player I know.....but I get the feeling that I have way more fun than most. So, for that I am very, very grateful.

Rake

Whaddiya mean you’re no body to be jealous of?
You keep your own counsel.....you don’t look at other people to see who you are.

...being mensch is something to be jealous of

regards
pt

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is always funny to read stuff denigrating people who can't run a five-pack or better. Strangely enough, apart from pros, I have never seen people run five packs on 9 footers in any club or local pool hall, ever. Well, depends on what you consider to be a five-pack. If you have to pick up from your opponent twice or 3x per game, well - if it means running all (at least) 9 ball-racks five times consecutively without your opponent at the table at any time in between - I think there is a lot of bragging involved on the internet.

Even with pros below the top 20 you rarely see -real- five packs in tournaments. So, pretending that five packs are a measure of knowing how to play pool is pretty ridiculous. Yep, some people have achieved them in practice or maybe even once in a tournament somewhere (possibly on a barbox) but that does not mean that they are top notch pool players. I agree with the poster above that every time I heard stuff like that from people and met them in real life they either got beaten by me or unconvincingly beat me. Light years away from five packs.

And I never claimed to have run a real five pack. The few really non-pro but excellent players I know never ran a five pack on me yet but I do believe they might have run a few in their life. Pretending that a five pack is anywhere near normal and a sign of a worthy pool player is too ridiculous to believe.

If you really are a "five pack player" you should be giving me the last 5 and beat me in a race to 5 easily. Even if it is not your 5-pack day. I have yet to meet such people - real pros not included.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is always funny to read stuff denigrating people who can't run a five-pack or better. Strangely enough, apart from pros, I have never seen people run five packs on 9 footers in any club or local pool hall, ever. Well, depends on what you consider to be a five-pack. If you have to pick up from your opponent twice or 3x per game, well - if it means running all (at least) 9 ball-racks five times consecutively without your opponent at the table at any time in between - I think there is a lot of bragging involved on the internet.

Even with pros below the top 20 you rarely see -real- five packs in tournaments. So, pretending that five packs are a measure of knowing how to play pool is pretty ridiculous. Yep, some people have achieved them in practice or maybe even once in a tournament somewhere (possibly on a barbox) but that does not mean that they are top notch pool players. I agree with the poster above that every time I heard stuff like that from people and met them in real life they either got beaten by me or unconvincingly beat me. Light years away from five packs.

And I never claimed to have run a real five pack. The few really non-pro but excellent players I know never ran a five pack on me yet but I do believe they might have run a few in their life. Pretending that a five pack is anywhere near normal and a sign of a worthy pool player is too ridiculous to believe.

If you really are a "five pack player" you should be giving me the last 5 and beat me in a race to 5 easily. Even if it is not your 5-pack day. I have yet to meet such people - real pros not included.
The number of people who have actually run a 5-pack vs. those who dream of/type of running one is pretty small. I've run ONE in my life. It was on my 21st bd in 1981. Cue City in Tulsa,Ok. GC1 with regular-size GC pockets. Came close a few other times but only once have i entered the exalted 5-pack zone. They ain't normal, or easy, believe me.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well yeah. the entire bottom half of the Diamond Pro and is made of plywood and the boxes are built similarly to Valley Bar boxes. The Professionals frames are made of laminated beams. Cost is definitely the variable here. I love both, but, to me being a guy who works on both for a living, it is my opinion that the Gold Crowns are better built tables. I know everyone loves the Diamonds and how popular they are. Just because so many players love them, that does not mean their opinion on the matter of which one is built better, really means anything at all. Just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

Trent, give those boxes another 50 years in a pool room and we'll see how they hold up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo
Not tryin to argue here but are you saying those laminated beams are inferior to what a GC has? Reason i ask is i have a home builder buddy who has used a LOT of laminated beams in homes costing well over a million dollars and he uses laminates almost exclusively. Far stronger and less chance of warpage. GC's ARE fine tables but a new one is stupidly over-priced for a "Made in Brazil/Mexico/China then assembled in USA" table.