Playing opposite handed

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
I'm right handed and I wanna learn how to play with my left for when it's practical. I can't seem to make the switch , anyone have any technique tips to help the transition be smoother

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
practice! it feels wierd at first but you will get use to it. When I play by myself or with the girlfriend I shoot every second shot left handed and now I can run some racks left handed and feel comfortable with it. Hope this helps.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice making a bridge open or closed. Closed being more difficult. You can do that anywhere, computer desk, kitchen table etc without or with a cue. In time it will feel natural. For the stroke practice and use a shorter compact version, its more accurate. Gradually lengthen it as you're stroke improves. Using an uncoordinated long stroke is a recipe for disaster.

Rod

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Make sure to sight the shot with your dominant eye. Major mistake most players make. Im right eye dominant so when Im cueing I make sure to cue the shot with my right eye and not my left.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
practice shooting one handed left handed..oh say that fast a few times..then bridge
with your right hand after a few days..your stance stroke an bridge will feel fonky for
a while..just like it did the first time you begain playing..step into every shot..good luck.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure to sight the shot with your dominant eye. Major mistake most players make. Im right eye dominant so when Im cueing I make sure to cue the shot with my right eye and not my left.

I didnt think to mention that, I only have one good eye so I do that on every shot lol.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play a full season in a league you are not normally in, and commit to the whole season with the opposite hand.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all about muscle memory. Once you play left-handed, put in a couple hundred hours of practice, you develop muscle memory. :smile:

It's the same old song: Practice, pratice, practice. :cool:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what jam said. I do switch up playing hands when the shot may require it. its not natural feeling yet but its getting there.

a few years ago I had a serious injury to my right hand . I had to learn to use my left hand to do everything . I cant tell you how many times I cut myself shaving lol.

now that I have regained about 70% use of my right hand I still find myself using my left a lot just because I got used to it.

smokey777

Lock on
Silver Member
The biggest problem is training left arm not to move side to side up amd down. I dont remember How I controlled it with my right

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest problem is training left arm not to move side to side up amd down. I dont remember How I controlled it with my right

let me give you this advice.

place the cue ball on the foot spot. place a piece of chalk or any object on the center of the head rail. strike the cue ball with a slow controlled motion trying to make the cue ball hit the headrail and come back hit your cue.

you may have to start out so soft that the cueball does not come back to your cue but over time it will feel more and more natural. you can also use this drill with your right hand to determine if you have a problem with your stroke or aiming.

better idea to start out. put the cue ball on the foot spot. strike the side diamond and see how close you can come to the opposite diamond. might not be as frustrating to start out with a shorter distance lol. remember , slow and controlled movement until it feels more natural then you can use more power.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It's the same stroke right handed as it is left handed, only different.
Try setting up on the top of the rail (where the rail joins the cushion) and practice stroking back and forth, along that line. Do it over, and over, and over.
Also, don't use your bad eye. It'll only make things more difficult.
I'm glad I could help. Your friend, Tramp. :smile:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would suggest concentrating on your stance to start with. Make sure you are using a "left handed stance" and not your normal stance. I see a lot of people when shooting opposite handed using the wrong stance and their footwork is all over the place. Once you have your stance down, the alignment should be correct and then you can concentrate on keeping the left arm straight when stroking a shot.

When you shoot right handed how do you place your head? Left eye over shaft etc. Do exactly the same when shooting left handed. I would suggest using shorter back strokes to start with just to make it easier to move the cue back and forth in a straight line. Once this becomes natural the you can start to try emulate your normal stroke. Concentrate on your grip, and keep it loose. One thing that helped me out a lot was having a prolonged pause at the end of my back stroke, try it, it may work for you too. That is the only difference when I shoot opposite handed, every thing else is mirrored.

It does take time though, and you have to stick at it. Give them muscles enough time to remember what to do...that being said...if you teach your muscles the wrong thing to do they will remember it so make sure you don't just practice, but practice perfect technique.

Good luck, and have fun in the process.

Diogenes

Silver Member
Practice tips that work...

Practice tips that work...
Take a long neck beer bottle like a Corona... (make sure it's good and DRY inside and out). Lay it on a pool table (or any table around 30" tall) and practice stroking the tip of your cue-stick in and out of the neck of the bottle without touching the glass opening. It's a really good drill for either hand.
Shoot your shots slow and easy and don't try shots that you know you can't make... until you get good enough to start making them.
Also I found when I started that a closed bridge was actually better for control because it helped to stabilize the cue-stick from moving side to side. Once you get a smooth stroke down then you can focus more on aiming the ball. Just take it one step at a time.
Don't expect anything quick... it takes years to truly become ambidextrous and when you first start out it's a lot like trying to pitch a baseball with your other hand. You feel clumsy and awkward to start, but after a few months you'll start making some shots and getting your stroke smoothed out. Don't feel embarrassed... anyone watching who can shoot switch-handed knows and has been there. Anyone else has no room to talk if they won't even try it.
NOW... the first time that you shoot a shot left handed and didn't even realize that you had switched hands until after the shot... that's when you'll know that you're all the way there. I probably shoot about 10-15% of my shots left handed, not afraid to use lots of draw or english if I need to... and hardly ever have a need to use a bridge-stick on a 9 footer. It's just part of my game now and I can even break well left handed.

Oh yea... also start eating left handed until it feels natural. It actually helps to train your brain to work with your left hand properly. Just don't poke yourself in the eye with a fork or anything like that.

Good luck... it's well worth it in the end.

Last edited:

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I'm a little late to the thread, but...

Here's a simple tip to start to learn to play off hand.

1. Use an open hand bridge. No need to start learning complex bridging.
2. Shoot 5 object balls into pockets (no cue balls yet) before you start warming up with your regular hand. You won't get too frustrated, and the break you receive will allow your brain to put what you've learned into long term memory. In other words, don't try to learn it all at once.
3. The things you'll want to focus on, is a smooth back stroke, and then the stroke through the cue ball (finishing your stroke). Try to keep your shoulder and elbow still.

So, 5 object balls (not using the cue ball) into pockets, until you start getting the feel, and the object balls are going dead center. Then start adding a cue ball. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll pick it up.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I would concentrate on CB position play and not put myself in a position to have to shoot opposite hand. Then I would learn to use a bridge.

I've seen more blown runs, lost racks and lost matches because someone gets a wild hair and shoots opposite instead of getting the bridge. I'm on a team right now where the captain thinks he can shoot lefty and all the low handicap players follow his lead. We lost 2 matches last night because of this kind of bad decision making.

If your normal handed game isn't the best it can be in all aspects, then don't waste time trying to develope a talent you don't have fully developed on your dominant side.

Bartram Wiley and the like can switch up all they please, they have complete dominant hand games. Most guys want to shoot opposite because they don't want to use the bridge... It's easier to become a proficient bridge shooter than it is to become ambidextrous.

:cool:

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if someone said it already, I just skimmed the replies. What really helped me get over the awkwardness of it is using a fist bridge. Saw it Billiard's Digest a long time ago and have used it for lefty shots ever since. Put your fist on the table and curl your forefinger around the shaft, nice and stable for short shots.

Diogenes

Silver Member
I would concentrate on CB position play and not put myself in a position to have to shoot opposite hand. Then I would learn to use a bridge.

I've seen more blown runs, lost racks and lost matches because someone gets a wild hair and shoots opposite instead of getting the bridge. I'm on a team right now where the captain thinks he can shoot lefty and all the low handicap players follow his lead. We lost 2 matches last night because of this kind of bad decision making.

If your normal handed game isn't the best it can be in all aspects, then don't waste time trying to develope a talent you don't have fully developed on your dominant side.

Bartram Wiley and the like can switch up all they please, they have complete dominant hand games. Most guys want to shoot opposite because they don't want to use the bridge... It's easier to become a proficient bridge shooter than it is to become ambidextrous.

:cool:

It sounds like you need a new team captain... or to jump ship and get on another team. I see these league captains all of the time who wear logo billiard shirts, own expensive break cues, jump sticks, cues, cases, logo gloves, (bla,bla,bla) ect... and think that if they look and dress like what (they think) pros look like, that they will shoot like a pro. Most all of the time these type of "players" will choke often on any shot over 6'. I'll play them for $$$ on my worst days anytime that they are willing to put their money down. Sounds like the guy is sacrificing the team while he is trying to show off at something that he can't do very well... or just likes looking like an idiot.

Not everyone is meant to become a switch-hitter... however I will play a (close range) left handed draw shot for position always over using a bridge. I can use a bridge just fine... but when you're playing a lot of bridge length from the end of the table your position isn't going to land as solid as it would if you can get over the shot left handed. Of course that is only if you have mastered shooting left handed. I'll challenge accuracy and position on my left handed short game against most peoples stretched out bridge shot any day.
With all due respect (and in agreement with some of what you are saying), I wouldn't ever tell anyone "don't waste time trying to develop a talent you don't have fully developed". That's like saying don't ever try to learn anything if can't already do it. Or don't try to learn how to control a power break when a soft break is easier.

As I said, everyone is not going to master switching up with a cue-stick. It's hard work and takes a long time to train the brain (and muscles) to function in reverse. And no one should attempt switch shots that they know they aren't going to make... until they can actually make them... (unless it's just for practice).
Many years ago, I couldn't finger-pick on a guitar. I'm glad that I didn't stop trying because (just like practicing the more difficult billiard techniques)... you should see (hear) me now. Know what I'm saying?

Banks

Banned
It sounds like you need a new team captain... or to jump ship and get on another team. I see these league captains all of the time who wear logo billiard shirts, own expensive break cues, jump sticks, cues, cases, logo gloves, (bla,bla,bla) ect... and think that if they look and dress like what (they think) pros look like, that they will shoot like a pro. Most all of the time these type of "players" will choke often on any shot over 6'. I'll play them for $$$ on my worst days anytime that they are willing to put their money down. Sounds like the guy is sacrificing the team while he is trying to show off at something that he can't do very well... or just likes looking like an idiot.

Why knock em? I've never had a problem going to a sports game and seeing all of the people decked out in gear. Who cares if they can't hit a ball, throw a ball, make a basket, block an offensive linesman, etc? They're into it and they're supporting it more than I am. FWIW, I don't think I know any league players that go to that extreme, much less captains. I've got a $10 cue, maybe I should make fun of yours? Or are you a pro?

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Great tips. I will work on these. Thanks to the OP for the thread.
I'm a little late to the thread, but...

Here's a simple tip to start to learn to play off hand.

1. Use an open hand bridge. No need to start learning complex bridging.
2. Shoot 5 object balls into pockets (no cue balls yet) before you start warming up with your regular hand. You won't get too frustrated, and the break you receive will allow your brain to put what you've learned into long term memory. In other words, don't try to learn it all at once.
3. The things you'll want to focus on, is a smooth back stroke, and then the stroke through the cue ball (finishing your stroke). Try to keep your shoulder and elbow still.

So, 5 object balls (not using the cue ball) into pockets, until you start getting the feel, and the object balls are going dead center. Then start adding a cue ball. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll pick it up.