McDermott D series with level in the shaft?

The Hulk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw this on ebay a month or so ago on a custom D-19 for sale and it intrigued me. I've never seen anything like this before. After thinking about it I really couldent find any added benefit to it, besides holding the cue level? But this just seems very basic and a little overboard to me and seems like more of a distraction than anything else. I was just wondering?

Have any of you guys ever seen or used anything like this before?

Are there any added benefit's to this that I am missing? Or is this just some sort or novelty that somebody attempted because it looks cool?

Was this done by mcdermott or do you think it was added after?

what type of other cues have you seen with something like this on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 504

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i doubt this comes from mcD, well maybe it was an aftermarket "training shaft" :scratchhead:

doesnt seem like a playing shaft to mee, such an insert will have (negative) influences on the playbility.

Looks funny though :D

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weird, they listed it wrong too, it would be the d21, the 19 was the dice cue. Im guessing it was added afterwards as nobody in their right mind would do that, and think it would work.
Chuck

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Possibly the next best thing after the invention of pool...

I saw this on ebay a month or so ago on a custom D-19 for sale and it intrigued me. I've never seen anything like this before. After thinking about it I really couldent find any added benefit to it, besides holding the cue level? But this just seems very basic and a little overboard to me and seems like more of a distraction than anything else. I was just wondering?

Have any of you guys ever seen or used anything like this before?

Are there any added benefit's to this that I am missing? Or is this just some sort or novelty that somebody attempted because it looks cool?

Was this done by mcdermott or do you think it was added after?

what type of other cues have you seen with something like this on?

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the latest fad for the "so called experts" here in AZB....

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! That's cool!

Wait until you take the butt cap off and find the rest of the tools in the hidden tool kit in the butt.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue has a slot for my iPhone and an app that works the data from an overhead camera to direct me to the correct position and angle to make the shot.

Then it prints out cue elevation, acceleration and other mouth watering data. :grin:

This bubble cue is for amateurs!

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person who did that is going to be disappointed, that he can't use the cue in a level attitude.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person who did that is going to be disappointed, that he can't use the cue in a level attitude.
They've probably set level to the bottom edge of the cue. In which case, a high follow with cue on the rail will appear to be level, though the line through the center of the cue is not.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I think Atlas sells those, or you can get one from the dollar store.
Personally I am opposed to the use of any external leveling device on a pool cue, mechanical or digital.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a top player or two were playing with a shaft like that every banger that can't run 3 balls would want one.
Remember folks it's the gear that makes you play great.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
They've probably set level to the bottom edge of the cue. In which case, a high follow with cue on the rail will appear to be level, though the line through the center of the cue is not.
With the bottom edge of the cue level the tip can move horizontally, but even with the bottom edge right on the rail it's still hard to get a good hit with horizontal tip movement. Seems to me this device would only show that you mostly can't shoot with a truly level cue.

pj
chgo

View attachment 3001

Attachments

• CTEL.jpg
    CTEL.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 252

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love one of these. That way I can roll the cue to check for straightness and check the table for level at the same time...would make a great gag gift for a table mechanic.

I think I will make myself one, so people will know I am just a half bubble off level.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to buy one of those but the guy who sold me all my aiming system videos told me the level in the shaft would conflict with my aiming system.

I imagine it works better with some aiming systems than others.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about this cue.
All of you internet geniuses who say it cant work,assume it is for a level
stroke.I believe it was done to entice suckers to bet it up!;)

Nice diagram of the cushion to cb .
If the level was inserted so that level was at this angle, it would serve a purpose.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the bottom edge of the cue level the tip can move horizontally, but even with the bottom edge right on the rail it's still hard to get a good hit with horizontal tip movement. Seems to me this device would only show that you mostly can't shoot with a truly level cue.

pj
chgo

View attachment 3001
Let's say the last 12 inches of the shaft has a parallel taper and the bubble was set at the base of cue slope. Then, the shaft could be actually sloping downward from the rail, though the bubble would indicate it is level.

Nice diagram btw.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone had an interesting idea except you pretty much never shoot with a fully level cue and as soon as you move it for the stroke, you will change the angle no matter how controlled and level you try to keep that thing.

I guess it may be good for a beginner to show them how the cue is lined up for the shot.