Black crown table and dyson jet focus hot/cool heater

Brags

Banned
Just picked up a Black Crown 9 ball table today...will be going in my garage which is insulated and dry walled, but not heated. I bought a Dyson jet focus hot/cool heater to keep the room at a constant temperature...it works great...will easily do 6 meters by 6 meters according to the box. What temperature do you recommend keeping the room at? 15 degrees Celsius?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...an-heater-black-iron-am09-black/10360622.aspx

This table plays like a diamond table but half the price ($5500 Can). It comes with Simonis 860 felt. I also like the way it looks...simple and has leg levelers.
http://canadabillard.com/black_crown_ii/p2018.aspx

Here it is in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RnevvCYFs

Attachments

• tbl_black_crown.jpg
    tbl_black_crown.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Half the price of a Diamond?....not hardly. Check the rail blinds on your table, see if they're made out of particle board, I believe they are, and Diamond has leg levelers on their pool tables too....LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've rebuilt the rails on a couple of them in WA state, but won't work on them anymore, they're built to cheap.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking table.

What size pockets?

Maybe Diamond tables are a lot more expensive due to shipping to Canada.

9ft Pro-am is about 5500(before shipping/install) with a free set of cyclop balls.

Brags

Banned
Nice looking table.

What size pockets?

Maybe Diamond tables are a lot more expensive due to shipping to Canada.

9ft Pro-am is about 5500(before shipping/install) with a free set of cyclop balls.

Thanks. I think a 9ft diamond is close to 10k Canadian if you can find a distributor...honestly I never looked into it..I got this one for $4700 Can. The pockets conform to bca specifications...but I may tighten them up.
http://bca-pool.com/?page=54

Last edited:

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
RKC is right about the aprons made out of particle board. But that doesn't affect playability at all. Cheaply built? No. They are pretty tough

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
RKC is right about the aprons made out of particle board. But that doesn't affect playability at all. Cheaply built? No. They are pretty tough

And what is the frame made out of? Solid wood, or plywood? Slate screws mount into small blocks, no way of leveling the slates on the plywood frame except by pounding wedges in on those small wooden blocks. Rail bolt anchors are cheap as hell, had to replace all of them in the 2 sets of rails I rebuilt. But, what would I know, I'm just a pool table mechanic.....you pool players all think a table plays great if it bounces a ball off the rails.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
You probably had to work on an early black crown 1... capture nuts were only weldnuts then. They are 1/4 steel plates now... what are diamonds proam frames made out of again? Plywood?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Had to install one for a border battle 15 years ago and the american team called to say it was one of the best table they played on... but what do they know

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You probably had to work on an early black crown 1... capture nuts were only weldnuts then. They are 1/4 steel plates now... what are diamonds proam frames made out of again? Plywood?

1 1/2" wide x 15" deep, x 3. Think you could set 3,000lbs on top of that Black crown frame? Because Diamond stacks their tables 4 high and that's about how much weight is sitting on the bottom table. Apples to oranges.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Had to install one for a border battle 15 years ago and the american team called to say it was one of the best table they played on... but what do they know

Word of advice, don't ever listen to what a pool player tells you about how a pool table plays....LOL if they're winning money, the table is great, if they're losing....it's a piece of shit.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Those frames go sway back real fast. Just set up a Brunswick Gibson 9ft, frame is the same basic design as that black crown but 2"×6" hardwood framing....and was still swayback.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Truth of the matter, the only reason brags even started this thread was to try and promote sales of the Black Crown tables.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Well i'm setting up 2 black crowns right now and the frames are fine. Stacking 4 tables high doesn't have much to do with the frame's toughness since the legs are standing on top of the others... i agree diamonds use better materials but does that makes black crowns a pos? Not. Some i installed over 10 years ago in pool halls are still fine. Now i hope you're not gonna tell me i know shit and can't hold a stick

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well i'm setting up 2 black crowns right now and the frames are fine. Stacking 4 tables high doesn't have much to do with the frame's toughness since the legs are standing on top of the others... i agree diamonds use better materials but does that makes black crowns a pos? Not. Some i installed over 10 years ago in pool halls are still fine. Now i hope you're not gonna tell me i know shit and can't hold a stick

LOL....I know how you mechanics up there in the Canadian ocean are....LOL what kind of levels are you using to level the frame and slates?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Good man, you actually have a decent level. Unpacked slates means you're shimming for level between the slate and the frame you're attaching the cloth to, which is fixed to the frame. But the rail bolts go through that framing, through the slate and into the rails....right? How are you attaching the bed cloth, stapling or spray gluing?