Has anyone ever tried this?

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was working on my english yesterday. Playing with the bridge pivot point. Essentially line up center ball and then pivot on your bridge hand to apply english. I realized something really cool. For slower shots I use a longer bridge ~10" and for faster shots I would use a shorter bridge ~6". I was making almost everything on a 9' Table with pretty tight pockets. I suggest trying it out.

mnShooter said:
I was working on my english yesterday. Playing with the bridge pivot point. Essentially line up center ball and then pivot on your bridge hand to apply english. I realized something really cool. For slower shots I use a longer bridge ~10" and for faster shots I would use a shorter bridge ~6". I was making almost everything on a 9' Table with pretty tight pockets. I suggest trying it out.

What happens if you're using a Predator?

(guess that vision problem worked it's way out, huh? Those things usually do when you try playing the game completely sober.) :D :p ;)

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
mnShooter said:

What? Backhand english? No! Never! :rolleyes:

Barbara

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara said:
What? Backhand english? No! Never! :rolleyes:

Barbara

SHHHHHHH!!!! don't say the word's backhand english............you're venturing into the world of mystery here on AZB...........here we go with the flamers :rolleyes:

VAP

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I've just started hearing "backhand english", care to explain exactly what you mean? Some people have different names for the same thing.

Thanks,
Zim

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't find any mystery to Backhand English.
Aim your shot through the center of the cue ball, then pivot the back hand to obtain the desired amount of side spin (english) while keeping your bridge hand stable.

Troy

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Troy said:
Aim your shot through the center of the cue ball, then pivot the back hand to obtain the desired amount of side spin (english) while keeping your bridge hand stable.

Troy

i was referring to the "other" things that are associated with backhand english.

VAP

Troy said:

Troy

And what is it called when you aim center ball and swipe your shooting hand slightly to the side when you start your forward stroke to strike the CB?

And what is it called when you place the tip of the cue off center of the CB and then pivot back to the center without moving your bridge hand?

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
And what is it called when you aim center ball and swipe your shooting hand slightly to the side when you start your forward stroke to strike the CB?

And what is it called when you place the tip of the cue off center of the CB and then pivot back to the center without moving your bridge hand?

the above is what i'm talking about............LET THE WAR BEGIN...........LOL

VAP

vapoolplayer said:
SHHHHHHH!!!! don't say the word's backhand english............you're venturing into the world of mystery here on AZB...........here we go with the flamers :rolleyes:

VAP

Not so much to the flamers, but to the physics geeks and certified instructors that feel you should only shoot on parallel lines. Ooops, sorry I corrected you....you were right in using "flamers". Sometimes there's another word that follows it though, as in flaming...........

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
My wife BACK HANDED me the other day when I told her how much money I lost...

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
Vonn31 said:
My wife BACK HANDED me the other day when I told her how much money I lost...

That's your own fault. Don't tell her. Ha-ha.

Course don't tell her when you win either.

I refer that as my rathole money. Buried deep in my wallet.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried parallel english and it doesn't work at all. I always overcut when using inside english. I don't have a predator shaft, just a regular Joss. BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The terminology gets confusing when different people use the same term for different things.

I learned that backhand english is when you pivot after aiming.

Pivoting during the stroke is sometimes called "swiping". No matter what it's called, I think it's difficult to master since the amount of side spin is effectively done "on the fly".

Aim and pivoting back to center is another completely different animal.

Parallel aiming / side spin requires compensation for deflection / squirt which is dependent on the specific shaft and it's pivot point.

Troy
mnShooter said:
I've tried parallel english and it doesn't work at all. I always overcut when using inside english. I don't have a predator shaft, just a regular Joss. BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Last edited:
mnShooter said:
BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Would the final outcome of the tip striking the ball in the same spot not be the same?

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try shooting english with a straight follow through and then try it with a sideways follow through. The ball does not go in the same direction. You get more squirt/deflection with a sideways (away from the cue ball) follow through.

mnShooter said:
Try shooting english with a straight follow through and then try it with a sideways follow through. The ball does not go in the same direction. You get more squirt/deflection with a sideways (away from the cue ball) follow through.

I don't need to try anything. I've been DOING for 45 years, and I'm talking about a LOT of doing. I've tried shit that you don't even know exists yet.

You're missing the point if you're answering my last post. Whether you aim center ball and pivot your cue for english, or aim center ball and pivot your cue during the stroke so that it strikes the CB in the same place for either system, wouldn't both of them be backhand english? Forget trying to answer it....the answer is YES!

mnShooter said:
I guess you know everything then. Good for you.

I also know how to see the OB and CB when I'm lining up a shot from anywhere on the table. Do you? Don't lie now....we'll catch you red handed since it's right here in print. Last week you couldn't even do that, now you're ripping balls in like Corey Deuel.