Sweat my break--week 2

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First and foremost and I want to thank everybody who contributed any input; positive or negative. This is week two of working on the break. I slowed down a few things and worked to keep my cueball on the table more. I'm still not getting up as high as i want/need to. The positives so far are: 1. Kept ball on table more. 2. Shortened my back hand. 3 I believe my timing is slightly improving. 4. I believe that i'm starting to distribute my weight a little more effectively. The cons: I'm still not standing high enough. 2. I'm not incorporating enought wrist snap. 3. My shoulder/chest isn't used enough.
Once more if anybody would like to critique this new week, please feel free. As always thanks for the help!! BTW, I should have the break app soon and i can start registering my speeds.
Week 2 Pt. 1 http://www.youtube.com/user/clint42#p/a/u/1/6VrraG6kb8Q
Week 2 Pt. 2 http://www.youtube.com/user/clint42#p/a/u/0/5g9ji6VVKL8

BigAL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First and foremost and I want to thank everybody who contributed any input; positive or negative. This is week two of working on the break. I slowed down a few things and worked to keep my cueball on the table more. I'm still not getting up as high as i want/need to. The positives so far are: 1. Kept ball on table more. 2. Shortened my back hand. 3 I believe my timing is slightly improving. 4. I believe that i'm starting to distribute my weight a little more effectively. The cons: I'm still not standing high enough. 2. I'm not incorporating enought wrist snap. 3. My shoulder/chest isn't used enough.
Once more if anybody would like to critique this new week, please feel free. As always thanks for the help!! BTW, I should have the break app soon and i can start registering my speeds.
Week 2 Pt. 1 http://www.youtube.com/user/clint42#p/a/u/1/6VrraG6kb8Q
Week 2 Pt. 2 http://www.youtube.com/user/clint42#p/a/u/0/5g9ji6VVKL8

You're picking your head up too quickly which may cause your body to rise along with it..which as a result may cause a flying cue ball...keep your head down and follow through with an exagerated stroke...best example is to watch ralf souquet and his break on youtube...he has a very strong controlled break...just my opinion

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response. I've noticed the same thing after watching the video. I do pick up my head before I come through, I need to quit doing that. I finally got the break app on my phone, so I'll be able to register my break speeds and be able to compare them.

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response. I've noticed the same thing after watching the video. I do pick up my head before I come through, I need to quit doing that. I finally got the break app on my phone, so I'll be able to register my break speeds and be able to compare them.

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member

I do agree that too much body movement can be bad if unnatural however if you look at those with the best breaks they do tend to move upward as they hit the ball (SVB or Bustamante for example). What has worked best for me and might be helpful (everyone has their own style) is too line up with my body in a lower position as I would when shooting then stand up a bit before starting to hit the ball. That way my body is out of the way and I can use a big full stroke without having to move much with my upper body.

It is my personal opinion that most people try to break while way too low on the ball. It should not be the same body position as your normal shot.

I also believe that the idea of wrist snap is over rated... I think that 95% of the motion of the cue is from your arm and the role of your hand is only to guide the tip to the cue ball.
Based on my own experimentation with the breakspeed app when I hold the cue firmer with my whole hand my top mph goes up a mile and half or so. My belief is that when the cue contacts the ball using a firmer grip I have more force going into the cue ball. (this is very different than my normal grip-- with which I hold the cue pretty light)

Good hunting in your search for a better break....

Dud

Last edited:

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clint, Ever thought about a better and closer camera angle? Its difficult for me to watch.

When you break everything moves. It appears your main concern is power but it should be accuracy. Yes you need power but not for the sake of accuracy. Ever thought about backing off a bit and taking smaller steps? When you loose whitey as you did I know I would back off.

Your mention of wrist snap makes it sound like a forced motion. Its not forced or something you do, its a natural occurrence because of a well timed stroke. If you start out full speed it will be forced. I think you need to slow down. Bring the cue back slower with a relaxed grip and upper body. Then your forward progression will start much smoother. The power will be there and accuracy will improve. Think center table or on the downside, your opponent getting ball in hand. Good luck.

Rod

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this a contest with yourself to figure out the WORST angle to record someone playing pool? If so, you definitely won.

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch!!

Was this a contest with yourself to figure out the WORST angle to record someone playing pool? If so, you definitely won.

Yes, I agree! I'm working with my daughter to establish a better angle. In addition, I purchased a better phone which has great video..