Action knocking....

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw that a thread was started on this subject last night, things got heated, and the thread was closed. So let's try to keep this one civil.

Would you let a friend of yours get into a bad game in order to not "knock" the other guy's action? I had this debate with Josh Hillard. He said that knocking someone's action is something that you "just don't do", and that I would understand that if I was in the "circle" of people that know about gambling. So what do you think? Let your buddy get hustled, or knock the other guy's action?

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The only reason for knocking action is if the match isn't a fair game. Everyone should step up and get a fair game, not a lock.

BPG24

Banned
Is your "buddy" a newbie?
Meaning he can't make the decision himself?

If he is and doesn't understand how to matchup than i see no problem with it.

If he is a grown man, than i would stay out of other peoples business. It is the exact same a cock blocking.

JMO

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a buddy, I'm even buying a brass knocker. If it's an acquaintence or less, let'em learn the way I had to.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
Is your "buddy" a newbie?
Meaning he can't make the decision himself?

If he is and doesn't understand how to matchup than i see no problem with it.

If he is a grown man, than i would stay out of other peoples business. It is the exact same a cock blocking.

JMO

IMo the age of a person is irrelevant. If you know he is getting hustled, would you let him? Obviously, if he is a seasoned gambler, he wouldn't need you to interject.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
easy-e said:
I saw that a thread was started on this subject last night, things got heated, and the thread was closed. So let's try to keep this one civil.

Would you let a friend of yours get into a bad game in order to not "knock" the other guy's action? I had this debate with Josh Hillard. He said that knocking someone's action is something that you "just don't do", and that I would understand that if I was in the "circle" of people that know about gambling. So what do you think? Let your buddy get hustled, or knock the other guy's action?
It's not knocking the other guy's action as being a good friend. I would never let one of my friend's get hustled whether it is in the game of pool or the game of life. If it is two people I don't know then I stay out of it because it is none of my business.

BVal

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
It's not knocking the other guy's action as being a good friend. I would never let one of my friend's get hustled whether it is in the game of pool or the game of life. If it is two people I don't know then I stay out of it because it is none of my business.

BVal

Nicely said, I completely agree.

BPG24

Banned
easy-e said:
IMo the age of a person is irrelevant. If you know he is getting hustled, would you let him? Obviously, if he is a seasoned gambler, he wouldn't need you to interject.

Is he inexperienced? Or is he capable of making his own decision?

That is the question.

If he is experienced, and has been around pool and gambling, then I believe everyone should stay out of it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
Is he inexperienced? Or is he capable of making his own decision?

That is the question.

If he is experienced, and has been around pool and gambling, then I believe everyone should stay out of it.

Maybe this is where we disagree. My friendship to someone is much more important to me than a hustler making a buck. I have no respect for a hustler lying to someone about their speed.
For the sake of my question though, let's just say that he is inexperienced.

BPG24

Banned
easy-e said:
Maybe this is where we disagree. My friendship to someone is much more important to me than a hustler making a buck. I have no respect for a hustler lying to someone about their speed.
For the sake of my question though, let's just say that he is inexperienced.

When did you mention lying? I somehow missed that part of your scenario.

If you are referring to Josh lying about his speed, he is not lying IMO. I have seen him play and he is no world beater. Good player, but no champion.
i read those threads and didn't see him lie once.

If the player is inexperienced and a friend, i would sing to him like a bird. No reason for him to give away free money. i would also pull him aside and try to explain to him why i am helping him. The lesson is just as important as you keeping him from losing money.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
BVal said:

BVal

..."WHAT HE SAID"

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
When did you mention lying? I somehow missed that part of your scenario.

If you are referring to Josh lying about his speed, he is not lying IMO. I have seen him play and he is no world beater. Good player, but no champion.
i read those threads and didn't see him lie once.

If the player is inexperienced and a friend, i would sing to him like a bird. No reason for him to give away free money. i would also pull him aside and try to explain to him why i am helping him. The lesson is just as important as you keeping him from losing.

Maybe I didn't make the lying part clear. I believe that not being honest about your speed and asking for a game that is unfair is lying. And I have seen Josh play also, plenty of times. He claimed to need the last four from people that I firmly believe he plays even with.
He and I disagreed about the action knocking when I told him that I would NEVER let any friend of mine get hustled or cheated. He claimed that it is still something you "just don't do".

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I wouldn't let anybody get conned on the street, why would I let it happen in a pool hall.

As it was said before, if it's a fair match there's no need for knocking. If someone is getting taken advatage of then shame on the hustler.

I find it funny that there's a lot of people here who look up to hustlers but are quite quick to condem Kevin Trudeau(and he should be condemed).

A con artist is a con artist, it doesn't matter if he carries a pool cue.

I also have no sympathy for people that just make stupid bets.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I don't get involved in someone else's affairs unless asked. If a player walks into the room and asks a friend of mine to gamble, that is their business. If my friend asks me what I think of the game, I'll tell them. With that said, I never see people gamble for very much in my homeroom so when this situation arises, only a relatively small denomination is at stake.

It's somewhat similar to watching a game where a foul occurred. I would only say something if asked. In this instance, I would have to be asked by both players.

BPG24

Banned
easy-e said:
Maybe I didn't make the lying part clear. I believe that not being honest about your speed and asking for a game that is unfair is lying. And I have seen Josh play also, plenty of times. He claimed to need the last four from people that I firmly believe he plays even with.
He and I disagreed about the action knocking when I told him that I would NEVER let any friend of mine get hustled or cheated. He claimed that it is still something you "just don't do".

I am not familiar with the conversations that you and josh had, nor is it my business. So i can't comment on it.

I thought this thread was a hypothetical situation.

Please don't think I am upset or mad, I don't know josh or anyone else involved well enough to care. I was asking about your "hypothetical friend's" experience level because that has everything to do with the correct answer to your question.

I would not let any friend be taken advantage of, but if he is qualified to make his own decision, than it's not my (or anyone else's) place to get involved

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

JMO

This made me think of extension to the analogy. I hope no one takes offense to this, but maybe some would see knocking a hustler as being akin to cock blocking a date rapist? Don't get me wrong, the two cannot be equated, but perhaps the analogy could make sense to a degree. I don't know.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone who lets their buddies walk into traps with known hustlers will soon run out of buddies. Why anyone would feel that their obligation to not knock a hustler's action is stronger than their obligation to not let their friend walk into a trap is beyond me. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that? :confused:

JMHO,

Aaron

BPG24

Banned
Cuebacca said:
This made me think of extension to the analogy. I hope no one takes offense to this, but maybe some would see knocking a hustler as being akin to cock blocking a date rapist? Don't get me wrong, the two cannot be equated, but perhaps the analogy could make sense to a degree. I don't know.

I see your point, that is not what I meant at all. I meant if he is experienced enough to make his own decision. I should have explained it better in the first post. Now I have had to explain it in 4 more. :D

Sorry to all for the confusion

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
I see your point, that is not what I meant at all. I meant if he is experienced enough to make his own decision. I should have explained it better in the first post. Now I have had to explain it in 4 more. :D

Sorry to all for the confusion

LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to put ya on the spot, BPG. I'll go back to lurking on this topic now. :)