Billie Billie 1983 Smithsonian Exhibit

VelvetRaccoon

In 1983, Billie Billing was asked by the Smithsonian American History Museum to donate a piece of her billiard equipment to the exhibition hall. A retrospective on sports in America was being presented and the pocket billiard community was asked to participate. A number of players, notably Willie Mosconi, Jimmy Caras, Steve Mizerak, among others, were invited to contribute to the presentation. For example, Jean Balukas donated the rack of balls from her fifth BCA US Open win to the institution.

Billie, who has always strived to present pool players in a good light to the media, gladly donated a photograph of each of the players who partook in the event. When the display appeared to the public, it presented a portrait of the player alongside the piece of pool apparatus on display which enhanced the exhibition.

Thank you, Billie, for all your support of pool players!

Attachments

• Billie B Joss Smithsonian 300.jpg
    Billie B Joss Smithsonian 300.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 522

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wondered where she learned to play.
I am from Columbus and played in every pool room in the town for the last 50 years and I never saw her once.
I have heard about her and even found a paperback book with her name on it , but I never heard of anyone even knowing her here.?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I am from Columbus and played in every pool room in the town for the last 50 years and I never saw her once.
I have heard about her and even found a paperback book with her name on it , but I never heard of anyone even knowing her here.?

Her book was the very first pool book I ever bought. There was enough in that book to get me interested. It had a cut-out aiming device in the back that helped me a great deal.

Billie -- if you read this forum, thanks for getting me started.:thumbup:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I did. I met Billie in the late '70s if memory serves. She first came to Binghamton to play in one of Florance Fuller's women's tournaments. I ran into her several times over the years. Billie loved/loves pool, playing it, photographing it, whatever. I believe she was quite involved in the WPBA when it got started and was for many years. I think she did some instructional articles for the publications from time to time. She's a good kid:smile:
I only ever saw her play with her Palmer, though. Not a Joss.

BillieBilliards

Registered
Information about Billie Billing

Thanks for your interest in my game. I actually started playing (except for knocking them around with friends who knew nothing) at Ovington Avenue Billiards in Brooklyn, NY. My very first tournament was at Mike Asch's Hi Cue Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ. I had to get on a bus from the city to get there because I had no car.
I got involved with women's pocket billiards politics when I joined in the foundation of the WPBA. During my time as President I held around 70 events, including the establishment of the WPBA National Championship, the WPBA Amateur National Championship, the Ruth McGinnis Challenge Cup, the WPBA calendar, the WPBA 12 stop tour, and the WPBA President's Award, just to name a few. Most importantly, I changed the women's tour from a qualifing system to a 'point system'. The point system is what helped to develop the games of hundreds of women players because they could continue to play even after winning an event. The system also encouraged more women to play, increasing our numbers.
I wrote pool instruction and articles for the American Billiard Review, the National Billiard News, Pool & Billiard Magazine, and the Billiard Digest (10 years). I also wrote a few hundred articles about the WPBA and individual players which appeared in national and local newspapers and magazines. And, of course my book, "Pool Pointers" which you can still find online, used. Added to that, all of my articles have included photographs of players.
Whew, I'm exhausted! :boring2:

To the gentleman who was looking for me in Columbus, OH - - I won the BCA National Championship there, but I never played locally.

I never played with the Joss. I won it at the BCA Nationals; with Danny Janes permission, I donated it to the Smithsonian exhibit. they still have it.

And thanks for the compliment on my book and the 'Whiz Wheel'.

All the best,
Billie Billing
www.BillieBilliards.com

I did. I met Billie in the late '70s if memory serves. She first came to Binghamton to play in one of Florance Fuller's women's tournaments. I ran into her several times over the years. Billie loved/loves pool, playing it, photographing it, whatever. I believe she was quite involved in the WPBA when it got started and was for many years. I think she did some instructional articles for the publications from time to time. She's a good kid:smile:
I only ever saw her play with her Palmer, though. Not a Joss.

Attachments

• WPBA Pines 1984 300.jpg
    WPBA Pines 1984 300.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 271

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Thanks for your interest in my game. I actually started playing (except for knocking them around with friends who knew nothing) at Ovington Avenue Billiards in Brooklyn, NY. My very first tournament was at Mike Asch's Hi Cue Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ. I had to get on a bus from the city to get there because I had no car.
I got involved with women's pocket billiards politics when I joined in the foundation of the WPBA. During my time as President I held around 70 events, including the establishment of the WPBA National Championship, the WPBA Amateur National Championship, the Ruth McGinnis Challenge Cup, the WPBA calendar, the WPBA 12 stop tour, and the WPBA President's Award, just to name a few. Most importantly, I changed the women's tour from a qualifing system to a 'point system'. The point system is what helped to develop the games of hundreds of women players because they could continue to play even after winning an event. The system also encouraged more women to play, increasing our numbers.
I wrote pool instruction and articles for the American Billiard Review, the National Billiard News, Pool & Billiard Magazine, and the Billiard Digest (10 years). I also wrote a few hundred articles about the WPBA and individual players which appeared in national and local newspapers and magazines. And, of course my book, "Pool Pointers" which you can still find online, used. Added to that, all of my articles have included photographs of players.
Whew, I'm exhausted! :boring2:

To the gentleman who was looking for me in Columbus, OH - - I won the BCA National Championship there, but I never played locally.

I never played with the Joss. I won it at the BCA Nationals; with Danny Janes permission, I donated it to the Smithsonian exhibit. they still have it.

And thanks for the compliment on my book and the 'Whiz Wheel'.

All the best,
Billie Billing
www.BillieBilliards.com

The WHIZ WHEEL -- that's it alright! I cut that thing out and brought it to the pool hall when I was a freshman in high school. Everyone in the pool hall made fun of me for setting that thing up on every shot. I needed it just to come close to making the ball. I still know the guys who made fun of me for doing that--- and now I could probably spot them 120 balls going to 150.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My mistake, you were referring to anyone from Columbus, I thought you meant on AZ. Sorry.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billie,
If ya get back here, it was me who commented on the FEF tribute on your web page.