Joe Balsis pic - a great one

olyella1ball

Registered
my pop and i use to play some at the local in PA. sometimes joe balsis wood come in. pop knew him a little they talkd some about pool and joe shwd me some stuff. nice guy. sawd a pic of joe on billiebilliards website that lookd good. reminded me of joe and my pop. good times.:thumbup:

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Balsis isn't mentioned nearly enough along with the greats. In the decade of the 60's there were about 20 major 14.1 events (U.S. Open and Worlds) and if you look at the records, Balsis either won or came in second or 3rd in almost every one!

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Balsis isn't mentioned nearly enough along with the greats. In the decade of the 60's there were about 20 major 14.1 events (U.S. Open and Worlds) and if you look at the records, Balsis either won or came in second or 3rd in almost every one!

This is so true. "the meatman" was a great player who played against the likes of Lassiter, Crane and Jack Breit. It was tough going in those days.

MYFAVPOCKIT

Saw Joe win US Open vs Rempe

Yea, saw that pic. A great one of Joe. And one with Jean Balukas. What happened to her? she still playing? Saw pic of Smitty with Willie and Fats. I use 2 c Ken Smith at all the straight tournaments. He did a bunch of things for the players. Fed everybody. Talkd with him alot in Jersey City room or somewhere out there. He knowd everybody. On that billiebilliards website they had a lot of pics this month. good ones. Jim missed the 9 ball in the side to lose to Joe in 74. great game.

my pop and i use to play some at the local in PA. sometimes joe balsis wood come in. pop knew him a little they talkd some about pool and joe shwd me some stuff. nice guy. sawd a pic of joe on billiebilliards website that lookd good. reminded me of joe and my pop. good times.:thumbup:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Is this the page w/the picture you mentioned? http://www.billiebilliards.com/about.html. Always nice to be reminded of those that mean the most to us.

Dave

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Balsis was truly a gentleman and a great player. I played him in an exhibition match in Torrance California. It was in 67 as I recall. At the end of my second inning I was high 60's and Joe at 6. I got an unexpected kiss and scratched on the break. I played well but he ran 119 and out. We talked for a while and it was the first time I met Jimmy Moore. He commented on my stroke, it was a great day with memories of the good old days. Damn I am getting old. LOL

Rod

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I have a cool video of the '62 US Open (14.1) IIRC, where the finals was Crane v Balsis. After a couple of balls were made and then a safety battle sent his score back to zero, Crane ends up going 150 and out... good stuff.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
The "Meatmans Grip"

Jim Rempe told me one time that Joe shook his hand before a match and his hand hurt for 2 days...must have been all that butcher work!!!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member

Tried repping you but have to spread it around some....
Good post as per usual Bobby.

Here's a link from Fred Bentivegna's "Banking with the Beard"'s great site that has a really nice video interview with Joe Balsis. Joe is in my "All-time Top 10 Favorite Pool Champions" ever list.

http://vintagevideojoebalsis.blogspot.com/2008/04/joe-balsis.html

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been looking for years for a original signed photo of him to hang on the wall with my other rare photos!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe was a great player and a man's man. He had a firm handshake and looked you in the eye when he talked to you. He was a no nonsense kind of guy, not one for BS'ing or idle chit chat. If I have one regret in pool, it's that I didn't take any photos of myself along with the greats that I became friendly with.

I wasn't into hero worship back then (you know, autographs and photos). I just liked talking to my hero's and getting to know them the best I could. I was more into creating a friendship if possible. Some players were accessible that way and others were not. I could never get close to Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Lassiter or Worst. These men kept their distance, and communed only with their peers. I can only once remember any communication with Worst and that was a quick congratulations for winning at Johnston City. Crane, I tried to talk to several times, but he would only give me the briefest of replies. Lassiter would talk more if it was about pool, but he would also cut me off short after a couple of minutes. Mosconi was a little more talkative, but he was usually complaining or giving orders. He mellowed out in his old age.

The hustlers were far more open to conversation. That was how they made their bread - talking people into playing. Kelly, Cornbread, Jersey Red, Shorty, Jimmy Moore, Ervolino, Diliberto, Ronnie, Puckett, FATS and others were avid and gifted talkers. Fun to be around and willing to converse with just about anyone, even a dumb kid. Especially a dumb kid who thought he could play a little. They saw potential in me - to make a buck! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Joe was a great player and a man's man. He had a firm handshake and looked you in the eye when he talked to you. He was a no nonsense kind of guy, not one for BS'ing or idle chit chat. If I have one regret in pool, it's that I didn't take any photos of myself along with the greats that I became friendly with.

I wasn't into hero worship back then. I just liked talking to my hero's and getting to know them the best I could. I was more into creating a friendship if possible. Some players were accessible that way and others were not. I could never get close to Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Lassiter or Worst. These men kept their distance, and communed only with their peers. I can only once remember any communication with Worst and that was a quick congratulations for winning at Johnston City. Crane, I tried to talk to several times, but he would only give me the briefest of replies. Lassiter would talk more if it was about pool, but he would also cut me off short after a couple of minutes. Mosconi was a little more talkative, but he was usually complaining or giving orders. He mellowed out in his old age.

The hustlers were far more open to conversation. That was how they made their bread - talking people into playing. Kelly, Cornbread, Jersey Red, Shorty, Jimmy Moore, Ervolino, Diliberto, Ronnie and others were avid and gifted talkers. Fun to be around and willing to converse with just about anyone, even a dumb kid. Especially a dumb kid who thought he could play a little. They saw potential in me - to make a buck! :rolleyes:

Well then we are lucky you decided to follow the ways of the hustlers you spoke of and share a few minutes (and stories) with us, thanks.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

I wasn't into hero worship back then (you know, autographs and photos). I just liked talking to my hero's and getting to know them the best I could. I was more into creating a friendship if possible. Some players were accessible that way and others were not. I could never get close to Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Lassiter or Worst. These men kept their distance, and communed only with their peers. I can only once remember any communication with Worst and that was a quick congratulations for winning at Johnston City. Crane, I tried to talk to several times, but he would only give me the briefest of replies. Lassiter would talk more if it was about pool, but he would also cut me off short after a couple of minutes. Mosconi was a little more talkative, but he was usually complaining or giving orders. He mellowed out in his old age.

The hustlers were far more open to conversation. That was how they made their bread - talking people into playing. Kelly, Cornbread, Jersey Red, Shorty, Jimmy Moore, Ervolino, Diliberto, Ronnie, Puckett, FATS and others were avid and gifted talkers. Fun to be around and willing to converse with just about anyone, even a dumb kid. Especially a dumb kid who thought he could play a little. They saw potential in me - to make a buck! :rolleyes:

With U tossing all those names out, and they were ALL at Johnston City all the years I attended and played, I remember a guy, tall, good player, not equal to the above guys, but his name was the Springfield Rifle, ring any bells Jay?
Be neat to see the player list from the sixties, there were a fair amount of unknowns back then that could play 14.1 pretty good.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
With U tossing all those names out, and they were ALL at Johnston City all the years I attended and played, I remember a guy, tall, good player, not equal to the above guys, but his name was the Springfield Rifle, ring any bells Jay?
Be neat to see the player list from the sixties, there were a fair amount of unknowns back then that could play 14.1 pretty good.

Jim Relihan! He moved out to California in the 80's and was in the insurance biz I believe. Haven't seen him now in a long, long time. He was a very strong player, one notch under the top guns.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Jim Relihan! He moved out to California in the 80's and was in the insurance biz I believe. Haven't seen him now in a long, long time. He was a very strong player, one notch under the top guns.

Thx Jay, that's him, and it was neat seeing some of the backwoods farm boys that could play real well back then in S. Ill.

Last edited:

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try These

Been looking for years for a original signed photo of him to hang on the wall with my other rare photos!

Put these together.

Attachments

• BalsisPoster.jpg
    BalsisPoster.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Balsis1974.jpg
    Balsis1974.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Autograph.jpg
    Autograph.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High Run

Ed,
On that poster, in the small print, does it have anything on his HR? I have Joe's listed at 344 & was wondering if that's written anywhere on the poster.
Thanks!

I don't have the poster, only the photo.
It's hard to see, but on the left---at the level of his head---I think it is

HIGH RUNS 362
MANY MORE
OVER 238

And I don't remember where I got the picture!

EW