Struggle With Aiming? Try This Simple Thought

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If using back-hand English (BHE), the stroke is straight (i.e., there is no stroke swoop), but the cue is pivoted from center-ball alignment before the final stroke, so the cue is heading into the CB at angle to the desired line of aim. So, in a way, the cue is "attacking the CB at an angle" ... right?

Regards,
Dave

That sounds right to me. The "angle" is between the line described by the cueball position to the aim point, and the line described by the cuestick and stroke direction, which would be different lines when using BHE.

KMRUNOUT

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're attacking the cueball at an angle, then you're not using backhand english. Someone has instructed you incorrectly or the words aren't coming across clearly. I'm not sure how you even attack a ball at an angle.
I think what BD means by "attacking the CB at an angle" is that after pivoting you don't adjust your body alignment, such that when you stroke the cue doesn't go "straight" relative to your center ball alignment perspective. I understand that there are some (such as you I'm assuming) who adjust their body alignment after pivoting such that their cueing angle with respect to their body remains constant for any shot, spin or no spin. In this case the cue is always delivered "straight" with respect to your body alignment. But there are others, such as myself, who keep their body alignment fixed pre and post pivot, such that it does seem from your perspective that you're hitting the CB "at an angle" whenever english is used. I think both can be regarded as forms of BHE.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for clearing that up.

As far as how the whole BHE thing related to my OP - my desire is to have as close to 1 finishing position for my stroke as possible. I think using BHE can lead to having several different finishing positions, unless you do all the adjustments after the pivot.

I'm really not saying there is anything wrong with using BHE. Obviously, a lot of guys use it very successfully. Also, I'm quite certain it wouldn't even be that difficult to a get a feel for the different finishing positions. I really just don't like the two options you have: 1. You can adjust your body after the pivot in order to deliver the cue the same way all the time. or 2. You shoot slightly off of the center ball to object ball aim line. This is what I think most guys do. I just don't like this. It's just a personal preference of mine. I don't like seeing my cue pointing off to the side. It doesn't look right to me.

I choose to make those adjustments while standing for the most part. I adjust for squirt and/or swerve while standing and then address the ball. No pivoting and no adjusting for me while down on the shot.

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some of the reasons people struggle with aiming.
------------------------------------------------------------
They assume they have a aiming problem when the main reason for most of the misses are do to stroking.(Or vise versa.)
I think people who really have an issue with pocketing balls is that they havnt trained them self's that you cannot address the
same angle the same way when the shape for the next ball requires you to do something different on the cb.Its like where trusting are eyes and stroke when the whole reason for the miss is lack of practice for that type of hit on the cb.Here we have an issue ,we blame aiming and stroking on are misses when in truth we dont no how to correctly address the shot. Take that one angle and pocket that ball with all the hits required that you must learn on the cb.Then your pocketing becomes stronger,you feel better when your at the table.Hey i no how to put myself in the best possible position to make this shot.To me there nothing worse then shooting a shot scared because your unsure of how to hit it.
Just practice every type of hit from one angle different speeds different distances,then change your angle .Practice this and then you get a better feeling on how to approach the correct line for the shot.

I still miss but i dont shoot scared anymore.;)

97% of the shot should be done while standing up, once you figure where to aim for the many reasons that effect aim, go down , and do the warmups to get the proper line up (3%), then fire, you only need good smooth follow through stroke if you applying english so proper english is applied and lasts until the contact is made between OB and CB. For center rolling CB hit follow through is good but not necessary.

BillieBilliards

Registered
Aim from a standing up position first

If you struggle with your aiming try keeping this simple thought in your head before you pull the trigger:

Deliver It Straight!

In other words, after you have gone through you PSR and you are ready to fire - stroke it straight and DO NOT STEER YOUR CUE at all.

You really should be aiming while you are in the standing position for the most part. What I have found is that when I fail to properly aim while still standing, when I'm ready to pull the trigger, I tend to steer my cue in order to make up for the alignment error. This sort of steering can become incorporated into your setup on particular shots if you aren't careful. You might not even realize it's there.

I know this is really simple stuff but it may be worth repeating. I know it has really helped me. If you do this, you will quickly find out if you are lined up properly or not. Now instead of making the ball while steering my cue, I'll miss it. That part doesn't sound so good but it forces you to make sure you are properly lining up the shot. You will become a better cueist this way.

For some of you back hand english guys this may be a little trickier since you aren't always shooting straight through the shot to begin but you get the point.

Chris,
I hardily agree with your pool tip. It is so true that you should begin aimming before you get into a shooting position. If any AZBs are interested, the most recent post on my website concerns this issue. Check it out at http://billiebilliards.com/pointers.html. See the forest and the tree!
Billie Billing

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that really helps me, aside from the things you mention (which are HUGE! Aiming while standing is the MOST important for me) is concentrating on a loose grip. I take this to the point where I almost envision that I will let go of the cue at impact. This is all about a super loose wrist, and a loose *hand*. I find that my % goes way up on long straight in shots, for example, when I employ this technique of "letting go" of the cue as I reach contact with the cue ball. YMMV.

KMRUNOUT

I can't agree with this more. Most of the cue steering that I get occurs from over gripping the cue, or developing too much tension in my shoulder and bringing my hand/arm into my side some.

I will say that the best way to solve that problem for me has more to do with how I start my stroke than concentrating on my grip does. I definitely try to concentrate some on having a relaxed wrist and grip, but I find that tightness in those things develops more from how I approach the stroke than them actually being their own cause. The more aggressively I try to accelerate from my pause to the CB, the more tension I develop throughout my upper arm creating all kinds of grip and stroke problems. If I try to accelerate from pause to desired speed like devin Hester, even if the desired speed of striking the CB is not that fast, then I get increased tension. It is more pronounced the harder I accelerate, usually making hard stroke shots more prone to trouble. I have found that it does affect my stroke at least some with slower strokes too though, especially if I have been playing a lot of medium to fast stroke shots (which most of us over play the necessary speed anyways). For me, the answer to the problem is to perform a smooth stroke where there is a gradual acceleration of my hand towards the CB reaching the desired speed by the time the tip gets to the CB. My necessary speed should never be reached quickly through the stroke, but as gradual as possible. That really keeps the tension out of all parts of my arm, and things tend to fall in line. I can always tell if I have done it right by the action I get on the CB. I get way more action cuein with gradual acceleration, and have found that I need about half the speed I thought I did to move the ball around the table. It is taking a lot of practice to make it consistent, especially since I have been doing it wrong for a long time. However, the results are well worth the effort.

Last edited: