Bogies Classic Houston,Tx - May 2-5th, 2019 - $7,000 Added (10B/ 9 ft)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They played a grueling 3 1/2 hour 1st set, it went hill hill and Chang won.

It was 3am and the players, backers and Calcutta buyers all agreed to chop instead of another set :eek:

That table was brutal it was playing super tough, two of the best players on the planet took 3 1/2 hours to play a race to 9 :confused:

We have co-champions Chang Jung-Lin and Jeffrey De Luna

Always a shame when players chop. It's just another piece of evidence that pool in America has its issues.

The players, backers and calcutta buyers were all good with the chop ... as if that's the whole picture. What about those watching live or those who paid to watch the stream? Were they OK with it? Were they asked? What about those who put up the added money? Were they asked? Are viewers or those who finance an event ever asked for their input when players feel under no obligation to finish a competition? In my own experience, the answer is no.

Pool will need to take itself more seriously if it wants others to take it seriously. A willingness to discontinue events before their completion is one of many reasons that pool should never dare to compare itself to most other individual sports. Mention this to a pro player, though, and they'll tell you that "when we're paid enough, we'll finish every event." Unfortunately, that's not how life works. You have to prove yourself worthy BEFORE you get paid in this world.

Hopefully, nobody who'd ever consider investing in the pro pool product was watching.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played a grueling 3 1/2 hour 1st set, it went hill hill and Chang won.

It was 3am and the players, backers and Calcutta buyers all agreed to chop instead of another set :eek:

That table was brutal it was playing super tough, two of the best players on the planet took 3 1/2 hours to play a race to 9 :confused:

We have co-champions Chang Jung-Lin and Jeffrey De Luna

Oh, didn't watch the last few matches and when I looked at the brackets, saw that 2nd match of final was not finished and I tot they would continue today.
The right thing to do would be to complete the match today maybe they can start earlier .
Should not even have to ask players and stakeholders As they should not have a say whether to continue or not to continue. The tournament director is the one who should make the decision and should be fired for passing the decision to others.
If the players were the ones to make the decision, I am sure they would say continue or play another day. Heck they can play another day and stream the match

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it the first time a match was played on that TV table?

Race to 7 or 9 taking 3.5hrs is ridiculous.

If the table played that bad, it shouldn't have been used as a tournament table maybe.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is it the first time a match was played on that TV table?

Race to 7 or 9 taking 3.5hrs is ridiculous.

If the table played that bad, it shouldn't have been used as a tournament table maybe.

Houston humidity is well known to pool players....it makes pockets into traps.
...a lot of road players went broke there in the action days that weren’t ready for wet tables.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Always a shame when players chop. It's just another piece of evidence that pool in America has its issues.

The players, backers and calcutta buyers were all good with the chop ... as if that's the whole picture. What about those watching live or those who paid to watch the stream? Were they OK with it? Were they asked? What about those who put up the added money? Were they asked? Are viewers or those who finance an event ever asked for their input when players feel under no obligation to finish a competition? In my own experience, the answer is no.

Pool will need to take itself more seriously if it wants others to take it seriously. A willingness to discontinue events before their completion is one of many reasons that pool should never dare to compare itself to most other individual sports. Mention this to a pro player, though, and they'll tell you that "when we're paid enough, we'll finish every event." Unfortunately, that's not how life works. You have to prove yourself worthy BEFORE you get paid in this world.

Hopefully, nobody who'd ever consider investing in the pro pool product was watching.

Totally agree with this post.
I used to run a popular weekly snooker tournament in the 80s....
...if they didn’t want to play the finals....I told them the money would be added to next one.
....they stopped asking...:rolleyes:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Totally agree with this post.
I used to run a popular weekly snooker tournament in the 80s....
...if they didn’t want to play the finals....I told them the money would be added to next one.
....they stopped asking...:rolleyes:

You're my kind of tournament director.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont give a damn how tight the table was , a shot clock would have prevented a 3.5hr race to 9.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO, the events need to engineer the 3am play out of their tournaments. It isn't good for anyone and perhaps the availability of tables after a day of play would stir up some action.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
IMO, the events need to engineer the 3am play out of their tournaments. It isn't good for anyone and perhaps the availability of tables after a day of play would stir up some action.

A stream table without a shot clock is in nobody's best interest.

To quote the great Grady Matthews, RIP, who was referring to the thirty second shot clock:

If you can't think of something to do in thirty seconds, maybe you should consider doing something else for a living.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Houston humidity is well known to pool players....it makes pockets into traps.
...a lot of road players went broke there in the action days that weren’t ready for wet tables.

I'm in Louisiana. So now I can blame my poor play on humidity too.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm in Louisiana. So now I can blame my poor play on humidity too.

A great player is still a great player on a wet table....
...after all, you’re playing to beat your opponent.
But he will be unable to do things he can do on a dry table.

I recall a young Alex playing 14.1 with a 200 runner from NYC...
...after two games to 150, they agreed to quit even...nobody ran 30...
..the cloth was dirty and wet...Willie’s 526 is under no threat in those conditions.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kazikas and Andy Jethwa in finals. Alex won first set , now in 2nd set, 3/3 to 7. This Andy guy is very smooth.

Last edited:

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta like PATV they are showing an action match now with Bergman/DoDong race to 19 10 in the middle!!!!
10 ball

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Action Alert starting 11 30 pm Central ......

Live from Bogies Billiards in Houston,Texas.

PoolActionTV's late night Champions Action Challenge.

It's The Philippines vs USA

Dodong Diamond James Aranas vs The Iceberg Justin Bergman.

10 Ball Race to 19 with $10,000 in the middle.

Passes are $9.95, Premium members watch free.

Premium members log in on channel #2

Purchase your pass now at www.PoolActionTV.com

Copy of A New Design (3).jpg