Big Question - Do you break with your main playing cue or not

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never break with one of my main cues , even if it is a cheaper one, I always break with a house stick . I have a friend who is a really good player , on paper one of the best shots in this neck of the woods who has a 25 year old Meucci HOF-1 that he always plays with and breaks with every time he said I would not own a stick I could not break with . The stick after being played with and broke with still looks just as good and has no issues. Plays really nice. I am to touchy and go overboard on taking care of my sticks . I am pretty anal about them and do not take them out of the house much, But it sometimes takes some of the fun out trying to keep the cue looking new. I grew up with not a lot so I try to take care of what I have, But do you think it hurts a cue to break with it , or does it matter if the cue is wood to wood joint or SS joint, would SS joint be better to break with say,

I do not personally break with my player/s. I have a J&J jump/break cue that cost me under $100.00, and it is an absolute field cannon. :cool:

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I play with a soft tip I do not break with my playing cue. When I used to use a hard water buffalo tip I did break with my playing cue. I also found I break better with a heavier break cue (24oz) and my playing cue is 18.5oz.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In leagues and tournaments, I break with my playing cue. I use hard tips that don’t mushroom.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Where do you hang out? I'd say it's the other way around where I go out to play. And, most who don't break with their player use a house cue to break. So a specialized break cue, maybe 5%?

Chicago area. I can't think of many folks who don't have a break cue. Every single person and every single team I've played on had break cues. I can't recall playing with anyone that didn't have a break cue. I should take a video of league night some time. Heck, guy on my team just brought out a new Predator breaker last week.

I have 4 break cues. Depends on the table that i'm breaking on. I don't use them all, but no sense in selling the ones I don't use, how much is a used breaker worth? My son can use the ones I don't use anymore.

Most break cues have a harder tip and all of mine have a heavier weight, just the way I like them.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I break every rack with my player, 8, 9, and 10 ball. Like the OP I am accused about being anal with my cue. If I discover any imperfection in the shaft I repair it immediately when I get home. home. I also use a medium tip that I like better when it is compressed and feels harder. The tip I just took off I had not had to shape for probably 6 months. I have a phenolic tipped break cue but I hate it, I do not have nearly the same cue ball control with it.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some times

My break speed is slow, so I don't mind breaking with my Diveney Lake Salvage shafts with the longer ferule and Pat said they should be ok to break with.

But, he does offer his version of a low deflection shaft and I have one of his LD Lake Salvage shafts and one of his Kiel Wood LD shafts. The ferule is only about half inch long and Pat said not to break with them.

So when I go to the bar tonight to play on the crappy tables with the crappy balls and screwed up bar rules I will bring a regular Lake Salvage shaft and break away. I have a good break cue, but really don't need it for the bar box break.

I think hard breakers and better players benefit more from a dedicated break cue then I do.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FWIW. Almost always break with my playing cue. Frequently, I use a break/jump cue for a second ball break in 8 ball.

3-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, one pocket and straight pool are almost always done with my playing cue.

Edit: I realized it seems contradictory to say “almost always break with my playing cue” and “I frequently use a break/jump cue for a second ball break in 8-ball.” What I should have said is, “when I play 8-ball, I frequently use a break cue yada yada yada.”

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
can't stop laughing at this

I always break with my opponents playing cue.

as for the OP, a few reputable cue makers have told me that if a cue can't be used for breaking, then what good is it, just that doing so will flatten and harden the tip

that said, probably shouldn't break with LD shafts cause they're spliced and could come apart

I play with a maple shaft and a hard tip, so it's no issue for my player, I also don't worry about the shape of the tip, i shape it when it gets put on the cue, after that some tip pik work once in a while and whatever shape it ends up with is what i'll get used to,
last tip was a Triangle and 3 years later it's still on there, just much more compressed and it makes that ping sound like a phenolic when i hit the ball

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a break cue. Break with my playing cue which has been my main player for over 25 years. Never been a problem.

I have tried breaking cues but I prefer to have the accuracy of my cue instead of the minimal change in power of a break cue.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break with my player. I have the Predator break speed app for my phone, I've tried many cues and I find no significant difference in cue ball speed. Technique is much more important, the cue is basically zip. Some just sound louder.