Breathing and breath control during the shot cycle.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I have been experimenting with my breathing cycle during my stroke. Observing the effects breathing in or out at certain times in my stroke. Trying to discover consistency in energy in pressure performance. I was wondering if top pros share common traits in breathing patterns? Is the breath held at any time? Through my own discovery I have found an effective pattern that helps be stay more consistent from shot to shot. Researching, I have found that my breath pattern seems mimic the breathing in Archery. I have found this interesting page that goes into some depth. http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/Technique/BreathingCycle/BreathingCycle.html
This really has me intrigued to learn more. Maybe CJ has some input on this. Learning this game has taken me on many journeys.

I start my exhale on the slow backstroke so that my lungs are nearly empty at the 1.5 second pause mark or so. Starting the shot when lungs are empty or nearly empty. No holding of breath. Only natural exhalation and timing. Prevents the movement of the diaphragm to move the tip.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Partial exhalation, hold as I release the stroke.
Like with a rifle.

Excatly as I was taught by a sports shrink that was military shrink and taught snipers for 20yrs , the eyes are in best focus on exhaust but not all the way , it's a timing thing took me a few weeks to get it down pat with a pool cue , but it paid off big time ,

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Holding your breath when you execute the stroke is not the best idea. Normal breathing, like Pat Fleming suggested, is the way to go. Time your breath so you exhale as you stroke the CB.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Great advice, Scott is 110% correct, plus it's just common sense, the act of breathing normally moves your body slightly.

Breathing technigue during the shot is one of the things the Marine Corps teach in Scout/Sniper School.

When you trying to hit an object at 1,000 yards or more with a small projectile the slights movement, at that range could be a total miss on an object the side of a 5 gallon Jeep Gasoline Can. I mention a 5 gallon Jeep Can, as it is about the size of a HUMAN TORSO.:p

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Respiration is unique in that affects physiology and is under voluntary control when conscious. There is a resonant frequency around 6 breaths per minute which can amplify the quieting and focus effect in an easy unobtrusive manner. Worthwhile to train yourself and spend enough time to tap into this without much if any thought or effort. Not something I would intentionally incorporate into every PSR but a useful tool to have in your back pocket when needed. A video of someone learning it and it's effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Nsm1U0CpY&t=39s

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t thought of it in 51 years of playing.

Never an issue. Sinking a ball into a hole twice it’s size from a few feet gets over complicated. Only 65 thousand posts in the aiming forum..

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck. I've known a lot of GREAT players. I've received a lot of great information from them. NONE ever mentioned, by the way, work on your breath control.

Mark Wilson talks about it in Play Great Pool in relation to snipers. I have found a stay more relaxed and put a more smooth stroke on the ball if I am exhaling while delivering the cue.

Personally I feel like it helps some players stay relaxed and from thinking about the wrong things. When I focus on my breathing, I am not thinking about my stroke or some random negative thought. I believe it helps players get out of their own way.

More oxygen in the bloodstream is a good thing. Who knows. Maybe we tense up and forget to breathe which leads to choking.

Many players talk about taking deep breaths during the pre-shot routine. They may think that is good enough or not even know about what they do during the shot itself.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Good luck. I've known a lot of GREAT players. I've received a lot of great information from them. NONE ever mentioned, by the way, work on your breath control.
Well, then, I guess it must be nonsense. Thanks for clearing that up for everybody.

pj
chgo

lawlist

Registered
No one has mentioned the break shot. I personally see no disadvantage to exhaling while breaking and I use a technique similar to the way I was taught to punch very hard in karate, channeling the energy from the rear foot through the leg, twisting the hip, moving the energy through the torso and through the arm holding the stick, using the speed of the arm to generate additional power, etc. On a regular shot other than the break, I would say breathing is less important -- of course, one would not want to be panting while shooting ... and/or purposefully taking a deep inhale while taking the final stroke.

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson talks about it in Play Great Pool in relation to snipers. I have found a stay more relaxed and put a more smooth stroke on the ball if I am exhaling while delivering the cue.

Personally I feel like it helps some players stay relaxed and from thinking about the wrong things. When I focus on my breathing, I am not thinking about my stroke or some random negative thought. I believe it helps players get out of their own way.

More oxygen in the bloodstream is a good thing. Who knows. Maybe we tense up and forget to breathe which leads to choking.

Many players talk about taking deep breaths during the pre-shot routine. They may think that is good enough or not even know about what they do during the shot itself.

I know Mark and I will message him about this thread. I certainly respect his theories. I think the key is to be relaxed to play good pool. If you're focusing on your breathing, you are NOT relaxed. Being tense in any way is no good. If you are tense.....put that tension into the pressure of your bridge. That will help everything else loosen up.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you're focusing on your breathing, you are NOT relaxed.
If you're focusing on it while playing, then you haven't learned it yet. Everything you do while playing was "focused on" while learning it - that's what practice is for.

pj
chgo

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Mark and I will message him about this thread. I certainly respect his theories. I think the key is to be relaxed to play good pool. If you're focusing on your breathing, you are NOT relaxed. Being tense in any way is no good. If you are tense.....put that tension into the pressure of your bridge. That will help everything else loosen up.

I don't know how you breathe, but deep breaths relax me. Most people take deep breaths before a difficult shot. Calm down and clear your mind.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I hold my breath until I turn blue. Then I usually pass out. I wake up later in a fetal position underneath the table. Actually I don’t think about it and I’m not going to start. I just breathe normally. Works for me! :thumbup: