WWYD -- 9 ball total trap

johnfleming1085

This is a position from the 2019 Mosconi Cup. This is a safety left by Filler. With the 1 and 9 where they are, giving up ball in hand is a loss.

In the actual match, there was enough room to play the cue ball between the 3 and the 8 to hit the 1 ball, which Shane did. Suppose the cue ball is tight against the 6. What would you do?

View attachment 557850

The full Mosconi Cup is available on Matchroom.live. I think it's $2/month now for US viewers. This shot is from Day 3 coverage, starting at 3:03:00 or so.
3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win

EDIT: Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot and reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

I like this option 9 times out of 10. As a 3 Cushion player, I play this shot without hesitation. Speed of the hit is paramount. Just a little practice and you are headed towards the corner long or short. Doesn't really matter, you'll move balls (9 or 1) for sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win

EDIT: Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot and reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

I like this option 9 times out of 10. As a 3 Cushion player, I play this shot without hesitation. Speed of the hit is paramount. Just a little practice and you are headed towards the corner long or short. Doesn't really matter, you'll move balls (9 or 1) for sure.

I'm not sure I understand the shot you were trying. Towards the chalk with left side spin?

I think the "plus system extended" 3- or 4-railer is a shot every nineballer needs to know, but it's sensitive to table conditions, both in how much it slides off rail 3 and how much it backs up off rail 4. I think the 1-cushion off the short rail (with right draw or just draw) is at least as likely to get a good result. If only I had a table to test it on.:(

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

maybe even for the win

i like this shot....winner,winner, chicken dinner...But I am a right handed player.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm not sure I understand the shot you were trying. Towards the chalk with left side spin?

I think the "plus system extended" 3- or 4-railer is a shot every nineballer needs to know, but it's sensitive to table conditions, both in how much it slides off rail 3 and how much it backs up off rail 4. I think the 1-cushion off the short rail (with right draw or just draw) is at least as likely to get a good result. If only I had a table to test it on.:(

Bob he was quoting my description of the shot I suggested if you go back and look at my diagram you'll see the shot which I still like.

the one nine are big Target not too hard to disrupt and even good chance for a good hit to push the one up table a little bit with possible cover

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the plus 2 system for kicks which I learned from none other that Bob Jewett on a video. Dr Dave also shows it in one of his videos.

It looks to me like pretty close to 4.2 diamonds apart on the long rail and I think you can go 2 rails around the 3 ball and hit the 1 ball.

That's the direction I would go because it appears could come off the bottom rail and knock the 9 out of there if you miss the one. Hitting it a bit firm will shorten the angle off that first rail and I think you'd come right around the 3.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the direction I would go because it appears could come off the bottom rail and knock the 9 out of there if you miss the one. Hitting it a bit firm will shorten the angle off that first rail and I think you'd come right around the 3.

After looking at it from this angle..

https://youtu.be/ooTrE9fVkdE?t=113

I'm not sure the 2 rail hit is there. Might be able to hit it going 3 rails - trying for 2 rails I think you hit the 3 ball unless you spin it.

Bob's shot looks better. Hit it hard and at minimum disturb the easy combination.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm not sure the 2 rail hit is there.
Virtual Pool likes it with a little right spin.

pj
chgo

2-rail.jpg