Leaping Lizards, Lou Butera

BillieBilliards

Registered
“Machine Gun Lou,” Butera was born in Pittston, Pennsylvania in 1938. He was raised in a small coal-mining town, and was introduced to the tables in his father’s pool room at a young age. He won his first Championship title in 1973 by defeating Irving Crane. Butera’s quick fire style of play attached many fans to his table side whenever he played. At the World Open in the Roosevelt Hotel the crowd would roar after he rocketed through each rack of fourteen balls in straight pool.

His nickname, "Machine Gun Lou", derives from his stunning the crowd and fellow competitors by running 150-and-out in straight pool in 21 minutes against Allen Hopkins in 1973.

Lou Butera’s famous “Under and Over” trick shot is captured on film by Billie Billing and can be seen at http://www.billiebilliards.com/pointers.html.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Lou Butera Stick.jpg
    Lou Butera Stick.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,023

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Machine Gun Lou,” Butera was born in Pittston, Pennsylvania in 1938. He was raised in a small coal-mining town, and was introduced to the tables in his father’s pool room at a young age. He won his first Championship title in 1973 by defeating Irving Crane. Butera’s quick fire style of play attached many fans to his table side whenever he played. At the World Open in the Roosevelt Hotel the crowd would roar after he rocketed through each rack of fourteen balls in straight pool.

His nickname, "Machine Gun Lou", derives from his stunning the crowd and fellow competitors by running 150-and-out in straight pool in 21 minutes against Allen Hopkins in 1973.

Lou Butera’s famous “Under and Over” trick shot is captured on film by Billie Billing and can be seen at http://www.billiebilliards.com/pointers.html.
Enjoy!

Very nice. Well written, good presentation, and cool pool pics. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

I love the contrast of the black-and-white hues against the color in the photos. :cool:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Lou Butera is one of my all time favorite pool players. His friendly, positive attitude showed through in his game. His fast paced play is hypnotizing to watch. Pool needs a new Butera style player.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I grew up in the Pittston area, and although he was a little before my time, I heard many stories about him from the oldtimers in LaTorre's poolroom, which was also in Pittston.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm from the Pittston area and many of the older gentlemen I play against always have great stories of him. It's sad that many local pool halls have since closed and these great stories are slowly fading away.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice thing on Lou, Billie! I gotta tell ya though, I just watched the interview with FEF and damn it, Billie! You did it to me again;)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched him play at the World 14.1 Championship tournament in NY city in 1964. I don't remember who he played or who won.
What I do remember is how fast he played. To see it on video is one thing but to see it 10 feet away is simply amazing.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked for Lou Butera in his Wilkes-Barre, Pa. poolroom around 1969-1970 and I saw him shoot the Under and Over the Bridge trick shot dozens of times.
I still think the shot is impossible. :confused:

Lou is the best. :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lou Butera gave one of the best pool exhibitions I've ever seen -- tremendous shooting and great interaction with the crowd. And of course the awesome speed.
I watched him play at the World 14.1 Championship tournament in NY city in 1964. I don't remember who he played or who won.
What I do remember is how fast he played. To see it on video is one thing but to see it 10 feet away is simply amazing.
On the other hand, his match with Frank McGown in the 1980 World 14.1 Championships took 3 and a half hours for 150 points. This was mostly due to Frank who took over 8 minutes on one shot.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Nice writeup.

I am amazed how many good players came from NE Pennsylvania. I think it has something to do with the coal dirt.
:smile:

Tony ----------> originally from Hazleton PA.

Enjoy!

BillieBilliards

Registered
Florence is great!

Nice thing on Lou, Billie! I gotta tell ya though, I just watched the interview with FEF and damn it, Billie! You did it to me again;)

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you enjoyed the film on Florence Fuller. I would still like to see her in the WPBA Hall Of Fame. Please go to their website and get their email address. Let them know how great and deserving she is in being remembered.

And urge all AZ members to follow suite.
Billie

BillieBilliards

Registered
Thanks

Very nice. Well written, good presentation, and cool pool pics. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

I love the contrast of the black-and-white hues against the color in the photos. :cool:

I appreciate the good words. Hope you stop back to my site. I have lots of history about women's pocket billiards and many photos of players from "my time". Each month I update my Pointers page and may add information to other pages.

Please stop back and see me!
Billie

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Nice writeup.

I am amazed how many good players came from NE Pennsylvania. I think it has something to do with the coal dirt.
:smile:

Tony ----------> originally from Hazleton PA.

Another great player from the Pittston area who you don't hear too much about is Leo Galli. He's a former PA state champion and had a high run over 200 balls.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, Lou was a special player to watch, and I had the opportunity on many occasions.

Faster Player by Decade in my view
1970's Lou Butera
1980's Stevie "Wonder" Dobrowolski
1990's Luc Salvas
2000's Tony Drago

Based on my observations, and I saw all four of them play many times live, I think Tony Drago was the fastest, but these four all played as if they had an appointment they were in danger of missing!

Thanks for the memories, Lou. Your career was a pleasure to behold.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
The Pittston Pool Scene

After about a 10 year absence, pool is alive and well again in Pittston, PA via Shooters Billiards -n- Arcade at 10 S. Main St - right down the street from the former LaTorre's Pool Room. Stop in and say hello to Ubsy.

Ron F

TheThaiger

Banned
Lou Butera gave one of the best pool exhibitions I've ever seen -- tremendous shooting and great interaction with the crowd. And of course the awesome speed.

On the other hand, his match with Frank McGown in the 1980 World 14.1 Championships took 3 and a half hours for 150 points. This was mostly due to Frank who took over 8 minutes on one shot.

I'd have him shot. I'd certainly ban him from ever picking up a cue again, competitively speaking. Pool is unwatchably slow as it is. Where's the fun in watching a man watching a table?

TheThaiger

Banned
Yeah, Lou was a special player to watch, and I had the opportunity on many occasions.

Faster Player by Decade in my view
1970's Lou Butera
1980's Stevie "Wonder" Dobrowolski
1990's Luc Salvas
2000's Tony Drago

Based on my observations, and I saw all four of them play many times live, I think Tony Drago was the fastest, but these four all played as if they had an appointment they were in danger of missing!

Drago tells my mate to slow down - they played a set 9-6 in 43 mins. Great to watch.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great player from the Pittston area who you don't hear too much about is Leo Galli. He's a former PA state champion and had a high run over 200 balls.

I'm sorry I missed this when it was first posted but let me add, Leo Galli was not only a good player. He was a pretty good cue maker and a lot of players in the Wilkes-Barry/Scranton, area, during the late 60's and early 70's, played with his cues. Cue making was not his day job but he did nice work and his cues played great. I still own a cue made by Leo Galli.

BTW, Leo was also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. :thumbup:

jeffm

Registered
I'm sorry I missed this when it was first posted but let me add, Leo Galli was not only a good player. He was a pretty good cue maker and a lot of players in the Wilkes-Barry/Scranton, area, during the late 60's and early 70's, played with his cues. Cue making was not his day job but he did nice work and his cues played great. I still own a cue made by Leo Galli.

BTW, Leo was also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. 👍
Found your post searching for "Galli cue" as I have an opportunity to purchase one. Can you share any information about him and/or his cues? Thank you!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Found your post searching for "Galli cue" as I have an opportunity to purchase one. Can you share any information about him and/or his cues? Thank you!
Unfortunately, Rich passed several years ago.