Kamui Chalk....When to chalk?!?!

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a piece of Kamui Chalk the other night to try and see how I liked it. I decided to give it a test run and went lengthy amounts of time without chalking. Results were I miscued about 5 times in about 7 or 8 hrs worth of pool. After the first couple I got paranoid and started to chalk before any "extreme" draw shot, basically any draw shot that I had to get down on bottom of whitey and put some snap into it. So, those of you that play with Kamui Chalk what have you found is appropriate and safe amount of time to allow to elapse before chalking your tip? I hate to waste precious material but also hate to miscue for my dough while playing pool.

I found the chalk seems to have a nicer feel when the tip is striking the cue ball, and it definitely is cleaner than using regular chalk. I subconsciously chalked over the Kamui chalk with Masters, so I just wiped it all off and put a fresh coat of the Kamui on. Is that standard procedure? Also is climate control important for Kamui Chalk as it feels almost wet and like makeup or something?

Any helpful tips are appreciated in advance.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were using master chalk and chalking before each shot as part of your pre shot routine how many times do you think you would've miscued over those 7-8hrs? I'm just curious. If I was using kamui you bet I'd be chalking every shot whether I needed it or not. The thing is, are you willing to take the chance of not chalking until every 10th shot or in between racks in a tournament or for the cheese? Another thing I don't really understand is people say "I was just practicing so it doesnt matter. Ask any pro, or instructor.......you must remain focused and treat every shot with the same amount of respect. In my opinion that means chalking too!
I'm not knocking the kamui guys. Hell, I'm not knocking the price either. To each his own. I've spent 25 on worse things. I can only say I won't be making the change to it. I've taught myself to chalk every shot and anything else would not only feel wrong but it would be risky in a competitive environment.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
My wife bought a cube for me for Christmas that I stole out of my stocking early. The chalk seems to work alright, but I like to chalk before every shot. What I do is put a base of it on my cues before I start playing and then use my Masters over it to chalk every shot. I play for about an hour at a time. The Masters seems to stay on even better and the base stays there for at least an hour of shooting...probably much longer. Johnnyt

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were using master chalk and chalking before each shot as part of your pre shot routine how many times do you think you would've miscued over those 7-8hrs? I'm just curious. If I was using kamui you bet I'd be chalking every shot whether I needed it or not. The thing is, are you willing to take the chance of not chalking until every 10th shot or in between racks in a tournament or for the cheese? Another thing I don't really understand is people say "I was just practicing so it doesnt matter. Ask any pro, or instructor.......you must remain focused and treat every shot with the same amount of respect. In my opinion that means chalking too!
I'm not knocking the kamui guys. Hell, I'm not knocking the price either. To each his own. I've spent 25 on worse things. I can only say I won't be making the change to it. I've taught myself to chalk every shot and anything else would not only feel wrong but it would be risky in a competitive environment.

That is one of the reasons that I haven't bought a piece. I would have to change my pre shot routine. The other problem is that I have a tendency to leave the chalk and at 25 a pop that could get expensive fast. I have tried the chalk and it does seem to "hold" better but does it make that much of a difference? I don't miscue very often with masters now.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I typically chalk before the break,
Then chalk my shooter once. If there is a need for me to stand up and think, I'll chalk again but usually once per rack is plenty.
I don't even notice not chalking before every shot now.
I even leave the kamui chalk behind my q claw, I don't take it to the table during a game!

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bought a piece in Las Vegas after having a Kamui tip put on. It does the job but if you chalk up every shot, there is a buildup on your shaft and your hand IMO.

Mine is now in my case as a conversation piece. The Kamui medium tip turned into a very hard tip and I had to change.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I bought my Mom a cactus once. Being from Canada, we have small cacti here but not the large ones you see in the deserts of the USA.

My Mom said, "I have no idea on how to look after a cactus, when do I water it"?

I said, Turn on the TV and get a US tv station, find a weather channel and when it rains in Mexico, water your cactus".

Now, what this has to do with when to chalk your cue with your piece of Kamui chalk, I have no idea. I just thought you might find some similarities in the anecdote.

If not, smile, it was a Saturday morning joke.

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typically chalk before the break,
Then chalk my shooter once. If there is a need for me to stand up and think, I'll chalk again but usually once per rack is plenty.
I don't even notice not chalking before every shot now.
I even leave the kamui chalk behind my q claw, I don't take it to the table during a game!

Thats a clever idea. Thats way your opponent cannot walk away with it.

Centerpunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my Mom a cactus once. Being from Canada, we have small cacti here but not the large ones you see in the deserts of the USA.

My Mom said, "I have no idea on how to look after a cactus, when do I water it"?

I said, Turn on the TV and get a US tv station, find a weather channel and when it rains in Mexico, water your cactus".

Now, what this has to do with when to chalk your cue with your piece of Kamui chalk, I have no idea. I just thought you might find some similarities in the anecdote.

If not, smile, it was a Saturday morning joke.

You are crackin me up this morning:thumbup:
this and your religous upbringing:D

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
AT $25 per cube, I'd chalk about ONCE a week :)

Now, with Magic Chalk, I chalk once per game in 8ball. Don't need it after that unless you want to, and I will occasionally when I'm on the 8ball it it was one of those "long" 8ball games ...

I think the real benefit is when you practice, you don't need to chalk on every shot, and when you are shooting drills it is nice not finding the chalk and doing it after every shot..... Now in drills, I can shoot 30 or 40 shots in a row before chalking again.....

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AT $25 per cube, I'd chalk about ONCE a week

I am still using a Master cube that I first pulled out of the box 14 months ago--its about 1/2 done. I chalk every stroke, or every other stroke depending on practice vs. play. I do play about 3 hours a day with that same cube of chalk, and also use it at league play.

My suggestion, here, is that if you aren't getting nearly 1000 hours from a new cube of chalk; the problem will be found in the way you put chalk on the tip, not on how often you put chalk on the tip.

Master chalk is so inexpensive, if you do happen to loose a cube, it maters not.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
First

Most miscues are caused by the tip getting harder and slick. You need to rough it up a little with a scuffer or TipPik. I use a TipPik shadow every so often. I have miscued once (on a long draw shot) in the last year.

Second, why in the world would you want to spend $25-28 for a piece of chalk if it is not at least a 100 times better than Masters at $.25 cube/$3,00 for a box of 12. You paying 100 times more for it, shouldn't it be 100 times better then? Not to mention having to keep a close eye on it or someone else would walk off with it, where with Masters it doesn't matter.

I think the people buying it are just chasing some magical dream that it will improve their game a lot.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I am still using a Master cube that I first pulled out of the box 14 months ago--its about 1/2 done. I chalk every stroke, or every other stroke depending on practice vs. play. I do play about 3 hours a day with that same cube of chalk, and also use it at league play.

My suggestion, here, is that if you aren't getting nearly 1000 hours from a new cube of chalk; the problem will be found in the way you put chalk on the tip, not on how often you put chalk on the tip.

Master chalk is so inexpensive, if you do happen to loose a cube, it maters not.

I previously used Silver Cup, ( a few weeks ago) and would just toss it out once it was half used cause I had a case of the stuff. Somebody in my league gave me a very used piece of Magic Chalk, and it sat in my basement for months before I said, what the F*ck, I"m gonna give it a try.

I'll never go back to Masters or Silver Cup, and at only $2.50, it seems like quite the bargain compared to Kamui which is 10 times more expensive. And yep, the Magic Chalk is about 10 times more expensive than Masters, but I think it grabs better, and draws a little better, and it will most likely last 10 times as long, so price won't even matter. And no misuces ever...

But, Masters or Silver Cup will get along fine for years to come, and is a good product as long as you chalk after every one shot, or at least two shots. I'm just digging not chalking for 40 shots while I do drills, so for me it works, but might not for others. I'm usually a tough sell, heck, I still dont even play with a LD shaft, (yet) but once I tried it, I was sold.

I never knocked Kamui in any of the prior threads, cause I never tried it, but I tried the Magic Chalk, and it's great....

Last edited:

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think the chalk is great, but it threw me off, I would only chalk once a rack (9-ball), although I have gone about 3 racks without needing to chalk again, but I'm a fast player and chalking between each shot helps me slow down so although I don't miscue (not often, but everyone does whether they admit it or not). My routine is thrown off balance, I stopped using the chalk for that reason, It's still a great product your hands do stay cleaner cause I would scuff the tip with the kamui chalk till it was fully coated then play out a rack.

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife bought a cube for me for Christmas that I stole out of my stocking early. The chalk seems to work alright, but I like to chalk before every shot. What I do is put a base of it on my cues before I start playing and then use my Masters over it to chalk every shot. I play for about an hour at a time. The Masters seems to stay on even better and the base stays there for at least an hour of shooting...probably much longer. Johnnyt

i do the same thing and it works great i was using kamui and i had a cube of masters on the table for the guy i was playing and i used it over my kamui by mistake and like the way it plays been doing it since

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I bought a piece in Las Vegas after having a Kamui tip put on. It does the job but if you chalk up every shot, there is a buildup on your shaft and your hand IMO.

Mine is now in my case as a conversation piece. The Kamui medium tip turned into a very hard tip and I had to change.

All I can say is that my bet is that you are one of those guys that chalks out of habit and never bothers looking at his tip while doing so.. Lots of players do this while they are looking at the table....

The Kamui sticks so well that between shots I may just barely chalk to even it out across the tip... My hands and cue are staying much cleaner because the Kamui doesn't just get ground out of the hole in the chalk and end up all over everything.....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
i do the same thing and it works great i was using kamui and i had a cube of masters on the table for the guy i was playing and i used it over my kamui by mistake and like the way it plays been doing it since

I do the leaving the masters on the table thing for my opponent now but I spit in it and leave it out there... I hope I don't make the mistake of accidentally picking up the wrong chalk.... :thumbup: