Bushka?

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-pool-cue-/150924165510?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=8TtjoIUDXTQxKYAJYQn2wYdbM0c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I waited until the auction was over to post this. I didn't want to knock anyone's action. :) I'm just looking to learn something here. I know just enough to get myself into trouble as it is. This cue had some things that made me think it could be a Balabushka but some that made me wonder.

- I've never seen one without veneers that wasn't a "sneaky".
- It has a black bumper.
- Brass joint with a stainless pin.

Anyone want to educate me? Thanks!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-pool-cue-/150924165510?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=8TtjoIUDXTQxKYAJYQn2wYdbM0c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I waited until the auction was over to post this. I didn't want to knock anyone's action. :) I'm just looking to learn something here. I know just enough to get myself into trouble as it is. This cue had some things that made me think it could be a Balabushka but some that made me wonder.

- I've never seen one without veneers that wasn't a "sneaky".
- It has a black bumper.
- Brass joint with a stainless pin.

Anyone want to educate me? Thanks!

One issue with the cue was the newer slotted diamonds in the cue. They were of the wrong style for a Bushka.

JV

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Although it has elements reminiscent of a Balabushka, I would say no. From tip to butt, here are my obervations:
1. The ferrule is too bright white to be a Bushka, as he used ivory ferrules. This one almost matches the delrin butt plate. Not that it couldn't have been replaced at some point, but I doubt it.
2. George Balabushka always used stainless steel for the joint when he employed the nickel trim rings in the joint collars. This one has a brass joint, which I've never seen with the nickel trim rings. When he used a brass joint, it was usually without trim rings.
3. The lack of veneers with the points is inconsistent with genuine Balabushka cues, when he employed other fancy design, such as inlays and joint collar trim rings.
4. The wrap has somewhat darker green specks than the typical Cortland linen he mostly used. Not a complete disqualifier; could have been replaced.
5. The trim rings above the wrap on this cue appear to be brass. All Bushkas I've seen with those rings have been nickel or steel.
6. The biggest give-away of all - the butt sleeve is too long to be consistent with most Bushkas. His were generally between 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches. This one looks longer, at least 3 inches.
7. A little hard to tell, but some of those mother of pearl dots appear to be 2 millimeters in diameter, a little smaller than the 3 millimeter and larger that he tended to use, not that that is a complete disqualifier.
8. To my knowledge, he always used the Brunswick brown bumpers, not a black one. Again, could have been replaced, but I doubt it.

I'm sure others will weigh in, but my opinion is not a Balabushka.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching it. Didn't do anything as it had no veneers, the notched diamonds looked off to me and the weight bolt looked weird. Looked like it had a hex bolt in it. But I am no expert. Once it starting going up I said not worth the risk. Interesting cue for sure. Hope it works out for the buyer.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback! I just looked at the diamonds on examples posted here. I didn't realize there was a difference until now. Great info. on butt sleeve length too.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
In the Blue Book it says GB also purchased some ebony point blanks without veneers from Gus Szamboti? It's old looking, and has some obvious wear that looks like it dates to the 1970's.... Who do y'all think made it?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I understand your perspectives and I'm not knocking you at all but would like to provide details. I'm very curious.

I owned a Paradise cue with similar points--and it was about as clean even though it was older than this cue had claimed to be. This eBay cue has knicks (best seen on the black part of the butt and the points) that look like it's seen a lot of years also. The wrap appearance is fairly convincing also.... that it's old, not that I say its a GB cue...

Who do you think might have made it? It was sold to someone as a "vintage cue" with a small opening eBay bid--doesn't look like a scam...

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I understand your perspectives and I'm not knocking you at all but would like to provide details. I'm very curious.

I owned a Paradise cue with similar points--and it was about as clean even though it was older than this cue had claimed to be. This eBay cue has knicks (best seen on the black part of the butt and the points) that look like it's seen a lot of years also. The wrap appearance is fairly convincing also.... that it's old, not that I say its a GB cue...

Who do you think might have made it? It was sold to someone as a "vintage cue" with a small opening eBay bid--doesn't look like a scam...

It's possible, in fact pretty easy, to make new wraps appear older than they are. Look at that brass joint collar, insert and pin......dead giveaway that this is a newer cue. The only way that cue is that old is if they polished the inner threads of the brass insert....lol.

On the ebony parts, I don't really see 'nicks' but rather a newer satin/oil finish that hasn't been built up very much. As to who made it ???? There are lots and lots of cuemakers and dabblers these days. Somebody took a classic Bushka style and tried to recreate it. I'm a little shocked that somebody would pay a dime for this. Maybe they were shilling it up.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
It's old looking, and has some obvious wear that looks like it dates to the 1970's.... Who do y'all think made it?

I actually thought the exact opposite. I don't see any signs of wear at all, let alone what you are calling obvious. The brass joint looks brand new, as well as the ferrule. Also both the female and male ends of the joint are not showing any wear that would be expected of a cue from that era. I got 1 year old cues that show more wear and I take pretty good care of mine.

Almost everything about this cue screams fake to me, I can't believe some paid a grand for it. I guess Barnum was right.

FWIW I think this cue is only a year or 2 at the most.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Not disagreeing with y'all, I can definitely see the newness in a lot of components. It's so hard to tell on eBay with the photos almost always showing more mars in an item than it has to the naked eye in bare light.

The wrap looks old and has discoloration in patches, yellow on the green. The magnified view of the photos shows tiny mars in the points and butt... it looks quite like a Paradise cue I had that was from the 60's yet with that strange GB colored joint ring set... hopefully the two bidders who went to a thou each didn't get scammed.

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member
pic

Found this interesting pic of the cue that was sold on Ebay a while back. I guess the new owner decided to have it x-rayed.

source:
(scroll to bottom of page and click that image for a super sized version)
https://sites.google.com/site/donnylutzpool/services

3BAILEY.JPG

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. Interesting. No metal screw in the A joint, but a big fat void in front of it as well as behind the pin.

You cue makers like leaving lots of voids in there?

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue

Kudos to that guy for making fancy house cue conversions that look old for $1000. Seems that way from his ebay history as someone pointed out.