Advice on a gambling situation...

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I played a guy in my home room about 2 months ago. We played a race 8 one pocket for $1K a man. We posted the money with the owner. We started about 9:00 PM and finished about 3:00 AM. The place usually closes at 2:00 AM but they had a big poker game going in the back and there were quite a few people still in the place. I won. The owner came over and paid me the $2K. I immediately handed him $100 just for holding the money and staying open an hour late; even though he would have been there anyway for the poker.

So I play the same guy again the same way about 3 weeks ago but this time only for $800 a man. We start and finish around the same times and I win again. This time, the poker game is not going on and he is staying open an extra hour for us. I have full intentions on giving him $100 again. But this time, he walks up to the table and hands me the money. I say, "Is this $1,600"? He says, "No. It's $1,500. I'm keeping a $100 for my time". I immediately said "OK, I planned on doing that anyway". But, it really rubbed me the wrong way that he would just take it without asking or having an upfront agreement. He enjoys watching the action and sat there all night sweating it.

The reason I bring this up is that I may play the same guy again tonight and he will want to post with the owner again. I don't mind giving him a jelly roll if he stays open but I still harbor a little resentment over the way he acted last time. What to do???

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Check with the dude [opponent] ahead of time to see if you can post on the light, then.

See what kind of cut the owner needs to stay open. Him getting a cut precludes a tip.

A shame he would get snatchy about it last time, but I would be annoyed if I had to stay way past my bedtime for a game with no agreement upfront.

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not right

Not right for him to do...Start earlier next time and finish before closing...

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Hmm, the first thing that ran through my mind (as a prior room owner) was, did you ask him ahead of time if he minded staying late if the game ran over time?

Who knows, maybe he had a promise that night. :wink:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would (in a nice way) ask the owner ahead of time, what is his "hourly rate" for staying open past 2am?

I think he would get the hint......

blah blah

Shoebat
It feels nicer when it's a thing of generosity and respect, than when it's a charge.

It sounds like he really liked that first 100 and he wants to make it his regular commission- no matter how much you guys play for, or who wins.

You could either have someone else hold the money or play somewhere else.

OR you can pointedly decide up front, with the owner and the other player, how much this "holding fee" should be.

Once the fee is all clear and settled, it won't feel like you had your wallet gone through at the end of the night.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he also charge you table time on top of the cut? Did that include table time?

We have a place that stayed open after league on Tuesdays, she wouldn't charge us a cent in table time but we always had a fair bar table. I've left there at noon many times.

Seems unreasonable for him to assume that 100 is his. You could always say the winner pays the man 100 as a stipulation on the bet. Then he is kind of obligated to let you finish.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice, guys. I do appreciate it. It seems like this is like most things in life, communication is essential.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't polish a turd.
What happens the next time when he decides his end should be 400?
I would go somewhere else if that option is available.
If you hang around stupid people, stupid things happen.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Did he also charge you table time on top of the cut? Did that include table time?

We have a place that stayed open after league on Tuesdays, she wouldn't charge us a cent in table time but we always had a fair bar table. I've left there at noon many times.

Seems unreasonable for him to assume that 100 is his. You could always say the winner pays the man 100 as a stipulation on the bet. Then he is kind of obligated to let you finish.

Good point, D. It didn't include table time. However, it was only $10/man, which I paid of course. He has a great deal where it's $10 per person play as long as you want.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated above...how much on top of the $100 was the table time? Five percent (5%) seems reasonable for stake holding, especially if the house-guy is letting you play after hours. One pocket matches (as we all know) can go on forever. If your playing by the game OR play multiple races....the "players" can be dead EVEN (as the sun comes up). Now, if you started playing in the early evening hours...standardized table time can be $100 (both players paying $50)....Now, nobody wants to take care of the "House Guy", because nobody made any money. The only thing I would of done different than your "Houseman" is...I would of handed YOU all the stakes and let you be generous. "IF", you didn't do "right"....No more after hours action for you. Assuming your table time is somewhere around $10 an hour....you can't RENT a pool room AND an employee for $10 an hour. Also...let's face it....most pool players throw nickles around like sewer covers (LOL).

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
My question is this, if you got 8 ahead in six hours twice and the guy wants to play again, can I please have said opponents name? That sounds like my kind of action LOL.

Woody

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It feels nicer when it's a thing of generosity and respect, than when it's a charge.

This is true in all aspects of life.

If I go to a restaurant where it states "Parties of 8 or more will be charged a 15% gratuity fee".

I immediately tell the server if they waive that policy, it will be to his/her best interests for this service if they are a good server.

Some do it, some say it's company policy and they have no control.

If they waive it, they'd have to completely fail in the service to not make more than the 15%. If they are great, they will be very happy they had the confidence to waive it.

I know it's their to protect them from getting stiffed. But I hate being told I am being charged to protect them.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
As stated above...how much on top of the $100 was the table time? Five percent (5%) seems reasonable for stake holding, especially if the house-guy is letting you play after hours. One pocket matches (as we all know) can go on forever. If your playing by the game OR play multiple races....the "players" can be dead EVEN (as the sun comes up). Now, if you started playing in the early evening hours...standardized table time can be $100 (both players paying $50)....Now, nobody wants to take care of the "House Guy", because nobody made any money. The only thing I would of done different than your "Houseman" is...I would of handed YOU all the stakes and let you be generous. "IF", you didn't do "right"....No more after hours action for you. Assuming your table time is somewhere around $10 an hour....you can't RENT a pool room AND an employee for $10 an hour. Also...let's face it....most pool players throw nickles around like sewer covers (LOL).

All very true and I agree that he needs to make something. Especially given how cheap the time is. Like you say though, I just wish he had let me give it to him. He had to know I would based on the previous session.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
My question is this, if you got 8 ahead in six hours twice and the guy wants to play again, can I please have said opponents name? That sounds like my kind of action LOL.

Woody

:grin: It was a race to 8. It was pretty tight both times and we were both sweating bullets toward the end.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That wont work for me

I have been there a number of times..., I would asked for all the cash and then I would have given him $75. I would have told him that I am not making the full nut on this game, that there is someone else in with me and that I could only give him $75 this time.

If he get stupid about it, I now know who I'm dealing with, if he works with me then we can do business in the future..., nice of him to stay open, but you have to work with me.

I don't let anyone else cut my money

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Damn you making more money than BB players!

I'm with Woody...what town is this located? Poolroom? :cool:

:thumbup: I don't want to put the owner out there. He seems to be a nice enough guy; I think he just had a lapse in judgement. If you really want to know, PM me. There are only a couple of folks that will bet like that here that aren't "pros". Most are $20 player, and there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy playing for $20 too!