Earl vs. Archer.........?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl might take this down, only because he's been in more competitions the past 5 years. I think Archer is pretty much semi-retired.

I believe the last time they played a bunch 5-10 years ago, maybe on the road tour they had together, I think with member Mark Cantrel? I forgot the name. Anyway I believe Archer won those sessions convincingnly. But now, Strickland I'd say is the favorite.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They weren't really playing matches. The "Legends" tour was more about the two pros spending a couple of hours each with a group of 6-12 students. Sometimes they played a match, sometimes they didn't. Cantrell did these "tours" with Earl, Archer, Varner, and John Schmidt. I agree that Earl might win this match against Archer.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I think Earl might take this down, only because he's been in more competitions the past 5 years. I think Archer is pretty much semi-retired.

I believe the last time they played a bunch 5-10 years ago, maybe on the road tour they had together, I think with member Mark Cantrel? I forgot the name. Anyway I believe Archer won those sessions convincingnly. But now, Strickland I'd say is the favorite.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious....was Earl talkin' shit? :thumbup:...
Is a wild bear Catholic? :grin:

Although it is true that many of Earl's comments were true. The way he says them makes people want to disbelieve him.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It never gives me the option!
Hope to get the answer...
I had the option. I noticed that with full screen there was no chat so you have to be partial screen. You don't say, but I assume you are members of Facebook. Maybe Al limits chat to room followers or friends or some such.

Softail Rider

Registered
I had the option. I noticed that with full screen there was no chat so you have to be partial screen. You don't say, but I assume you are members of Facebook. Maybe Al limits chat to room followers or friends or some such.

Thats what so weird about it I follow Al & I can see the chat but it don't give the option to post. I watched the whole match today and watched yesterday as well.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was a total disgrace. He called Johnny crybaby with an expletive in it-I forget the exact words when it was Earl that cried from the moment the match got close until the end. He complained about how long it took Johnny to rack and about how long johnny was taking on a difficult combo with the Bridge. Neither time was was the time out of line at all. . He raked the balls in the final rack when he missed the 2? I believe. There were at least 7 balls left.

The 2nd day 30% of his losses were caused by the crowd moving, talking, potato chip bags and 20% due to luck or the table ( a beautiful dead level Diamond). This was in a CHARITY EXHIBITION and it was "poor me. poor me" for Earl over and over much of the 2nd day.

Im sure, as usual, he lost many fans who had no idea, he could be truly such an ass.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
That's sad, since it WAS a benefit for a fellow player, great man with a great attitude in life.

Oh wellllllllllll, that's how he rolls, too bad he had to solidify his acting out behavior, ESPECIALLY, within this moment in time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's sad, since it WAS a benefit for a fellow player, great man with a great attitude in life.

Oh wellllllllllll, that's how he rolls, too bad he had to solidify his acting out behavior, ESPECIALLY, within this moment in time.
Too late for this leopard to ever change his spots. Earl's been like this for a LONGGGGG time. Expecting him to do anything but his usual whiny baby act is shortsighted on any promoter's part. Really bad in a fundraiser.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
underlying medical problem

I think there can be little doubt that Earl has an underlying medical problem. The catch is the medications to control the behavior make it pretty much impossible to play pool at a high level. He is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't medicate. Leaves him trying to fight his demons alone and it often doesn't work out.

Earl doesn't deal well with stress. When your life is competition that leaves you between a rock and a hard place. Didn't watch this match but in the past "fans" have sometimes goaded Earl to bring out this behavior either to win a bet or for their personal amusement.

It has gotten very hard for me to compete on medications I have to take to stay alive so I appreciate the difficulty trying to compete on medications. The other choice is trying to control what I truly believe is a chemical imbalance without medications. Earl's behavior is sometimes intolerable and in some settings he deserves a DQ. Not something he can control but not acceptable either. This match it would seem he should have been able to maintain his composure. Apparently he came unraveled. That is sad!

Hu

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was a total disgrace. He called Johnny crybaby with an expletive in it-I forget the exact words when it was Earl that cried from the moment the match got close until the end. He complained about how long it took Johnny to rack and about how long johnny was taking on a difficult combo with the Bridge. Neither time was was the time out of line at all. . He raked the balls in the final rack when he missed the 2? I believe. There were at least 7 balls left.

The 2nd day 30% of his losses were caused by the crowd moving, talking, potato chip bags and 20% due to luck or the table ( a beautiful dead level Diamond). This was in a CHARITY EXHIBITION and it was "poor me. poor me" for Earl over and over much of the 2nd day.

Im sure, as usual, he lost many fans who had no idea, he could be truly such an ass.

yea i've seen him do the raking thing in a tourney here against a semi-pro young kid. travelled to europe, played one tournament, lost, whined and cussed, travelled home.. but i doubt there are pool fans who have no idea about his behavior. maybe children who are watching their first pool match. otherwise pretty much everyone knows the deal

no doubt he has some kind of diagnosis, and it seems to be getting worse with age, but either way; when he shines it's pure poetry and noone can deny that. just look at turning stone last year. to me he is the best 9-ball player ever. maybe he should have quit ten years ago instead of soiling his legacy, but he is still a legend imo

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
yea i've seen him do the raking thing in a tourney here against a semi-pro young kid.

I got to see Earl in possibly one of his all-time greatest meltdowns ever.

It was during 9-ball at the Galveston World Classic back in 2009. He was playing some not-so-well-known Asian kid during the middle rounds. Every time Earl missed a shot he would rake the balls. Once, the kid played a lock-up safe on him and when he kicked and missed...he raked the balls.

In my estimation, out of the 14 or 15 racks that were played, Earl raked at least half of them. He lost of course.

Weird thing was, he wasn't talking his crap to anyone other than the audience sitting in the bleachers. Made eye contact with me one time and started mumbling something incoherent while he locked his gaze on me.
I just sat there like a statue until he stopped looking at me with the hope that maybe my silence would dissuade him from targeting me again (it worked).

Wish I could remember the name of the Asian young man.

Maniac (and they call ME a maniac???)

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl's behavior isn't acceptable to me, but there is clearly a market for it. People continue to book him for lessons, exhibitions, and other events. It is obvious they know how he will act since he has established a very consistent track record, so they are asking for it.

So let's look at the chain of demand here. Promoters are calling him up and asking him to melt down on camera for a fee. It's his gig. I find it interesting that people want to book that gig but apparently they do.

That comes down to the audience. Who is tuning in to watch this match? Who is showing up to those exhibitions? It's those people driving the market.

In the end it is us who drives this behavior by providing the market. So rather than act surprised that Earl behaves this way, we should be surprised that there are mass audiences supporting and enabling this. I do not. Others can, it's just not my cup of tea. But it's the audience's continued support, not Earl, that is the real issue. If he was banned and not enabled maybe he would've learned to control his demons. He's not a stupid man.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a lesson from him once.
He's really full of himself.
I don't play that badly.
Last I looked I was a 570 Fargo.

He thinks everyone is a "D" player.
Condescending.
$75 for an hour lesson, minimum two hours.
At least he was there early.
Maybe caught him on a bad day.