The Strange Realities Of Hustling Pool For A Living July 22, 2017

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. Got some chuckles.

My experience after playing 51 years:
99% of pool hall stories are ‘fantasy’. I believe ‘none’ of them. Mostly told by older guys long past their prime suffering from the effects of dead brain cells from too much alcohol.

‘’I remember when... ..,’A friend told me....’ ‘I met (insert name here) and ...’

Pool Halls for the most part we’re like barbershops. A bunch of regular decent guys getting together to pass time While talking about baseball, fishing or how their boss was crazy. Nobody was trying to hustle anybody.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. Got some chuckles.

My experience after playing 51 years:
99% of pool hall stories are ‘fantasy’. I believe ‘none’ of them. Mostly told by older guys long past their prime suffering from the effects of dead brain cells from too much alcohol.

‘’I remember when... ..,’A friend told me....’ ‘I met (insert name here) and ...’

Pool Halls for the most part we’re like barbershops. A bunch of regular decent guys getting together to pass time While talking about baseball, fishing or how their boss was crazy. Nobody was trying to hustle anybody.

Agreed. Oh, I've seen money matchups...with both players knowing who they're playing. But a true hustle? If I saw one, they must have been really good at it...because I don't think I've seen one.

Oregon is a pretty small area pool wise...everybody knows everybody and their speed. Pretty hard to fly under the radar these days.

That said..it was a fun read.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bars

This type of hustling was much more common in bars than poolrooms from what I saw. Some of his claims seemed a bit dubious even for bars. However an entertaining read and brought back fond memories!

After I grew a conscious I made it a rule to never raise the bet myself. Thataway I didn't hit casual players for enough to hurt them as the bet in bars was usually three or five dollars to start. Funny, even if both planned for the bet to go much higher there was a certain ritual to be followed. The other man may have every intention of maneuvering you into twenty or fifty a game action but he would run like a rabbit if you suggested playing for that to begin with! Most didn't do something as transparent as trying to raise the bet every game while laying down so it was more like a few games at each level, maybe a few more if the mark balked a little.

When the bet got where the Russ wanted it, usually twenty a game occasionally fifty, there would be a subtle change in their demeanor. Now they were ready to strut! Even at this new level he is usually several bets in the hole. While he can show a little more speed since his chump has usually been downing a few beers during play, he still can't jump two or three speeds at once. He tightens up a little, he still gets beat. Tightens up more, a few lucky shots or accidental safeties and the mark is still winning. Balls to the wall, now things are in earnest. The mark wasn't a chump after all. Now play is much more even and the Russ gave the other player fifty to a hundred dollars or so on the money so he is climbing uphill.

Just for entertainment I farmed a "Russ" for about six months once. He was always broke so he could beat me early in the evening, enough to give him a running start in the bar with a handful of tables a friend managed. If he didn't go anywhere, I was out about ten bucks. However several nights a week when he was having a good night I would play him again late night, catching up my early evening donations for all nights and making a profit.

One thing that the Russ in the article didn't touch on, the brutal reality of small time hustling. It isn't fun! If you are struggling to win and in fierce competition you are doing it wrong. Mostly it is just chopping wood, table management and money management to come out right at the end of the night.

Hu

Last edited: