ok az police- gus?

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
that looks like the gus on the cover of snap magazine form may/june 1991. i think fast n loose is making a tribute cue about this cue. there is a matching fellini case that goes with this cue. i had believed it was in the glenn family collection. maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

guy

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I emailed the seller and haven't heard back yet. It looks like they sell a lot of china and silverware so I am afraid it might be a hijacked account. It also says in their description that they charge California sales tax, but ebay lists their location as Louisianna.

My guess is that it is a fake auction, but who knows maybe it is real. I asked if I can inspect the cue before the auction is over and if they would use an escrow service. Their response to these two questions will probably tell me what I need to know.

If anyone has any additional information please let us know.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
they are a company that sells stuff that ppl drop off at their store. so the fact that they sell china and silverware has nothing to do with whether this cue is authentic or not. they just sell what people ask them to sell.

as for the sales tax, it doesnt matter where they are, everything going into california gets taxed. many other listings say the same thing too. it's at 8.25% i believe and it is quite common to find that stated in many auctions.

neither of those things should have an affect on whether u think the auction is fake or not. if anything u would think that its fake cuz of it's low current price.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's The Same Except for The DOTS

guycrunch said:
that looks like the gus on the cover of snap magazine form may/june 1991. i think fast n loose is making a tribute cue about this cue. there is a matching fellini case that goes with this cue. i had believed it was in the glenn family collection. maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

guy

This cue looks very similar to the Gus pictured on the May/June '91 cover of SNAP Magazine, but it's not the same one. The one on the cover has small white dots on each side of the diamonds on the forearm and butt.
Doug

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
TheMarsMan said:
It also says in their description that they charge California sales tax, but ebay lists their location as Louisianna.
The location says "Stuck on the freeway in LA".

"LA" meaning Las Angeles, not Louisiana.

Close but no cigar.:D

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
guycrunch said:

guy

The cue you are speaking of is not the same cue listed on eBay. The cue you are talking about with the matching case is like it but different, and is pictured on page 333 of the Billiard Encyclopedia, second edition.

Hope this helps!!!

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
TheMarsMan said:
I emailed the seller and haven't heard back yet. It looks like they sell a lot of china and silverware so I am afraid it might be a hijacked account. It also says in their description that they charge California sales tax, but ebay lists their location as Louisianna.

My guess is that it is a fake auction, but who knows maybe it is real. I asked if I can inspect the cue before the auction is over and if they would use an escrow service. Their response to these two questions will probably tell me what I need to know.

If anyone has any additional information please let us know.

He refuses to send to Barry for authentication... Said he will get paid first, and won't end auction..
Ken

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
162   0   0

CueJunkiee

Shoot with the Best TOOLS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
looking at the pics is what got me.... look at the inlay edges, glue lines, etc.... maybe cause of age? Maybe a fake??

Auction guy looks legit enough...
Cue over 4k...

CueJunkiee

Shoot with the Best TOOLS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
ohhhh and the phenolic or linen ringwork looks funny? not a Gus expert, matter of fact only seen 2 real mccoys... so just throwing stuff out there..

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Gus ever use brown bumpers??

Attachments

• gus11 (Medium).jpg
    gus11 (Medium).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,680

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
northstar said:
If it is legit, what is its value? ~$30k?

yeah....at least that. the cue screams gus imo, but whether the auction is legitimate is an entirely different question/issue.

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.5%
209   1   0
cueaddicts said:
yeah....at least that. the cue screams gus imo, but whether the auction is legitimate is an entirely different question/issue.

Yeah, I agree, cue looks 100% genuine but the auction looks iffy. That is one hell of a cue. I mean, has anyone ever faked shrinkage around the inlays? If yes...that person is an evil genious. I have a Szam with a brown bumper by the way (see below).

...and where have those pics come from? I have never seen this cue before.

Has anyone come across this window Gus in their past?

Pic of brown bumper on my Szam....
B_Szamboti_93_Feb_2Small.jpg

Last edited:

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wondered about the linen rings also, but have no idea if Gus used that type. I also thought the box veneers were mitered on the Snap cue... at least I envisioned it done that way... the veneers on this cue are not mitered.

Can anybody enlighten us regarding these two questions?

If I had the cash, I would gamble on this one.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
Mark has a rosewood box cue type Szamboti on his site for 75k. What would a refinish do for this cue? Add to the value or detract? I think, if this is indeed a Szamboti, that the real players will be out in force and on their doorstep at the end of the auction.It should be very entertaining to watch the final few minutes.Mr. mtpocketsforu, do you have your finger on the trigger? Papa Pete would surley want to add this to his stack of Szambotis. The seller is gonna have a heck of a final value fee if it is authenic. The lack of comments by the experts here also speaks volumes.I am not a Szamboti expert,but there are several aspects of this cue that are unmistakeably Szamboti.

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
hangemhigh said:
Mark has a rosewood box cue type Szamboti on his site for 75k. What would a refinish do for this cue? Add to the value or detract? I think, if this is indeed a Szamboti, that the real players will be out in force and on their doorstep at the end of the auction.It should be very entertaining to watch the final few minutes.Mr. mtpocketsforu, do you have your finger on the trigger? Papa Pete would surley want to add this to his stack of Szambotis. The seller is gonna have a heck of a final value fee if it is authenic. The lack of comments by the experts here also speaks volumes.

refinish would detract from the value (that's because it doesn't need it).

the lack of comments probably means everyone is tripping over their feet hustling to get a shot at this cue !! :)

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
Yup

There is one awesome counterfitter in the south that can do just that and when I saw the pictures I said to myself man this looks familiar.
But I think for the money I would call and see if he did it. I would not buy anything like that until Mr. Barry looked in his fathers order book authinticating the order and the cue by personally inspecting the cue.
Investments should be done with as little speculation as possable!
Nick :)

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
nick serdula said:
There is one awesome counterfitter in the south that can do just that and when I saw the pictures I said to myself man this looks familiar.
But I think for the money I would call and see if he did it. I would not buy anything like that until Mr. Barry looked in his fathers order book authinticating the order and the cue by personally inspecting the cue.
Investments should be done with as little speculation as possable!
Nick :)

Being so enamored with this "awesome counterfitter" and obviously intimately familiar with his "work" begs the question- How many cues by this person have you sold to unsuspecting buyers? If I read this wrong then I am sure you will have no problem alerting all of those here as to the identity of the scoundrel.