Tip install help

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoping for some help here. On installing super soft or soft layered tips, I notice one side of tip hits "soft" while the other side hits more like a hard tip. Some background; I use a Hightower lathe, I sand install side of tip smooth, I seal that side with CA glue and make sure ferrule is flat too. I use CA glue (Loctite Pro) to install and then lock the tailstock to the tip for about 10 mins. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Some glue squeeze out at edge of tip on install, but when I trim tip to ferrule diameter, I thought that would take care of glue there. Thanks again.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Some questions,
Is this on your cue or a customer's? Have you felt this yourself or is it a customer's complaint? Is this just on one tip it happened to, or multiples of the same brand or different brands? Is it noticed right away or after a few days of play into the tip?
Dave

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrap ptfe thread tape over the ferrule to keep the ferrule clean from glue. I face across the tape and end of the ferrule. I have also been taping the outside of the tips with the tape as well. Then face across the bottom of the tip and that takes away any of the tape that is over the edge. Keeps the glue where it should be. After time you will get to know how little glue is actually required to glue a tip with. This way, people who have ferrules that they want to keep the ferrules patina, I can do so. The tape works with super glues or epoxies.
Neil

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. The cues are mine and I notice this right away. Doesn't matter which tip (Kamui, Ultraskin, etc.). I may be using just a little too much glue. Thanks for all the help!

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Here is my opinion, Being multiple tips, that would rule out a bad tip. Now, layered tips have a layer of glue between leather layers. This effectively seals each layer from the other. The glue you use to seal and or glue the tip onto the ferrule cannot go past that first layer, due to this barrier, so unless you use about half a tube of CA to seal it and most ends up loading to one side of the base, I can't see 'too much glue' being the cause. If you get excess glue on the sides, that would get cut off during the trimming process as these tips are 14mm, and most cues are 13mm or less. Cutting down and Shaping would also eliminate any glue on the playing side of the tip.
More questions: What type of ferrule material? Is this a pie laminated, or flat laminated shaft or a regular maple shaft? If flat lam or regular maple, I can see it hitting a slight bit different due to grain alignment, i.e. the 'spine' of the shaft feeling stiffer than 90 degrees left or right. A flat laminated shaft will be even more noticeable, One way to tell if it's the shaft/ferrule verses the tips would be to put a crayon mark where it hits firmer, and change tip and see if it still hits firmer in the same spot.
Again, this is just my thoughts and opinion, hard to say much more without holding and testing the shaft in person.
HTHs,
Dave

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again Dave,
The shafts are all hard maple, except the R360 shaft. I just installed 3 new tips on 3 different cues using a small dab of glue on each. There was no squeeze out. I'll try your tip on marking the hard hitting edge (if there is one) and then trying a new tip. The ferrules are all Juma. Thanks again.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What glue? What tip?

What super glue are you using? Some sort of jell, I hope.
It sounds to me like the glue is wicking into the tip. Some glues are more prone to doing this and can result in what you are describing. Some tips are more susceptible to this too.

Robin Snyder

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. I use Loctite Super Glue Gel and Professional liquid. Does not seem to matter which glue. Just installed 3 Very Soft Ultraskin tips on 3 different cues (Viking, Cuetec and Schmelke). ALL, and I mean ALL 3 tips had hard side and soft side. Just used a small dot of Loctite glue, spread it around and used tailstock to lockdown the tips on cues. I made sure the ferrule was flat (as most of you know, Hightower lathes are very accurate). I sharpen the tool bits and use Lenox titanium razors to trim the tip to ferrule size. The ferrules are Juma. I even store the tips in a humidor to make sure they don't dry out. I'll post a pix or two ASAP. At this point, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong! Thanks.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom, here is a YouTube of an install that is 3 years old and yes the installer is still installing them.

You mentioned you were having the same trouble with Kamui.

I would like to help any way I can as I have over 1,300 Tip installers and want to keep you rather than go to 1,299. Please look at this video and feel free to input.

Like Jerry Mcguire, help me help you. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElB9LhdjX8A

Oh, and UltraSkins don't dry out, have had some on a window sill for over 5 years. They don't seem to wick either, drop one in a glass of water and you will still see it floating on top the next day.

Thanks for the input. I use Loctite Super Glue Gel and Professional liquid. Does not seem to matter which glue. Just installed 3 Very Soft Ultraskin tips on 3 different cues (Viking, Cuetec and Schmelke). ALL, and I mean ALL 3 tips had hard side and soft side. Just used a small dot of Loctite glue, spread it around and used tailstock to lockdown the tips on cues. I made sure the ferrule was flat (as most of you know, Hightower lathes are very accurate). I sharpen the tool bits and use Lenox titanium razors to trim the tip to ferrule size. The ferrules are Juma. I even store the tips in a humidor to make sure they don't dry out. I'll post a pix or two ASAP. At this point, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong! Thanks.

Last edited: