Is this a normal attribute of Meucci shafts?

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I recently ordered this shaft and when it arrived, it had these markings on the cue near the collar...

It looks like the marks are where the taper starts, and they look like tool marks to me. They are finished and smooth, and almost look as if it was done on purpose but I find it odd.

Is this normal on a Meucci shaft?

This is an Ultimate Weapon Pro, custom made at 31"

Thank you in advance. I emailed the seller of the shaft and received no reply to this inquiry so I had to reach out to the billiards community as nobody I know has seen a Meucci shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_151018.jpg
    IMG_20180716_151018.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_20180716_151047.jpg
    IMG_20180716_151047.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend you post this in the main thread, and also consider posting in the cue maker forum.

I would recommend asking the maker directly about such a thing always.

Nobody wants to throw a cue maker under the bus. I have nothing against their cues or against Mr Meucci.

IMHO those are tool marks and that workmanship should not leave the shop of a reputable maker.

It is merely cosmetic, but it does make one wonder about the construction in general and the standards, practices, and tolerances of the maker.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is merely cosmetic, but it does make one wonder about the construction in general and the standards, practices, and tolerances of the maker.

It so happens this shaft does not thread fully onto any 3/8x10 butt because the pin bottoms out and leaves 1/8th of an inch gap too. I have to send it back to have that corrected, and I need to know just how much of this is a "dud".

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll let the moderators move it if they feel it's in the wrong place. If someone wanted to see information of a shaft along the good the bad, I think this would be the first place I'd look for information so I posted it here.

I know I'm asking a question but it's clearly about the quality and fit/finish of a particular product. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus either, but I did not make this shaft, pass it through QC, and ship it to me for a premium price either..

Thank you for your information.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It sure does look like machine marks. Until now I have not seen a finished shaft that looked like that. The funny thing is that after reading your post I saw the pictures in the very next post I went to that look like the same thing. they appear to have a slight angle like a screw thread.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=441844

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It certainly was machine marks.

I was able to send the shaft back and have it cleaned up - they turned it around quickly and I couldn't be happier. It's a custom 31" ultimate weapon shaft that I put one of my own milk-duds on (pressed hard).

It is unfortunate I had the experience I had, but I cannot sit here and say its great, because its closer to awesome.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone activated the powerfeed, forgetting it was set to thread cutting...
Pretty embarrasing that Meucci sent this shaft out!

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone activated the powerfeed, forgetting it was det to thread cutting...
Pretty embarrasing that Meucci sent this shaft out...

Right! Glad localredhead was able to get it fixed, but that shaft should have never left the facility.