Reload this Page Revo pros & cons from someone who knows how to play
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Revo pros & cons from someone who knows how to play
Old
  (#1)
Mustardeer
AzB Silver Member
Mustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Revo pros & cons from someone who knows how to play - 01-23-2019, 10:43 PM

I'll try to keep it short and hopefully useful to someone who's thinking about getting one.

The important and the obvious: imagine Michael Jordan in his prime playing Lebron James in his prime ( basketball 1-on-1 ). One of them is gonna win regardless of what pro basketball shoes he's wearing. Sure some shoes are more comfortable but not much of a factor in the outcome. Same thing with pool. The better player will win regardless of cue.

Why I got it. I'd go hey is that a revo? Yes. Can I check it out? Sure. I'd shoot a few balls with it hand it back. After a few months of that I realized I never missed a ball with a Revo. So I decided it was a magic stick and bought one. Quickly realized it's very possible to miss with a Revo.

The bad: yes it's true that it's so smooth you don't need a glove. But the feelings of that shaft against my skin felt uncomfortable. I prefer the feeling of wood. But doesn't matter to me since I always shoot with a glove.

The bad: if you aim using the shaft like SVB and not ball to ball like Efren it'll take time to adjust because the shaft is black. Especially true in darker rooms. First 2 days was a nightmare I couldn't aim using English ( I use the side of the shaft to aim when I spin ). After a few days it wasn't a factor my eyes/brain got used to it.

The bad: only comes in uniloc or radial so if your butts are different you'll have to change the insert which will void the warranty. I found this out when I broke my Revo. After about a month of dealing with their customer service ( nightmare ) they were kind enough to ship me a new one.

The bad: people will come up to you and ask if it's a Revo and ask to hold it. If you don't like that sort of attention it can be annoying. I don't mind.

The good. It's very low deflection. It makes me feel cool. I'm that guy with the Revo. I like the aesthetic. I like fashion and prefer nice things. I don't mind being seduced by the new shiny object. I like making money and I like spending money. Performance wise it feels good. But I'd say I'm just as dangerous with my mezz shafts. Love the wx900 for example. The mezz is 12mm the Revo is 12.4. To be honest I can play with any low deflection shaft but for now I prefer the Revo.

Note: The shaft is marketed as a 12.4, it's actually 12.5mm. Doesn't really matter but worth mentioning.

Mine came with a soft tip. I heard that it feels like a medium because it's on a carbon fiber shaft. Nope. It feels like a soft tip because it's a soft tip.

If you want it and you got the money get it. Think of it like buying a new jacket or a new pair of shoes. Don't think of it as buying a new computer. If it's better than other shafts on the market the difference is so tiny that it's not worth mentioning. It's all in the stroke, pattern play, speed control, mental game, etc etc.

Playing Cue: Schon
Shafts: Revo 12.4
Break: Mezz power break II
Jump: Alex Brick
Case: Castillo butterfly
Chalk: Master

Old
  (#2)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2019, 04:38 AM

This aligns 100% with my experience with mine. Iíve had it for about a year now. Very shiny shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#3)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustardeer View Post
I'll try to keep it short and hopefully useful to someone who's thinking about getting one.

The important and the obvious: imagine Michael Jordan in his prime playing Lebron James in his prime ( basketball 1-on-1 ). One of them is gonna win regardless of what pro basketball shoes he's wearing. Sure some shoes are more comfortable but not much of a factor in the outcome. Same thing with pool. The better player will win regardless of cue.

Why I got it. I'd go hey is that a revo? Yes. Can I check it out? Sure. I'd shoot a few balls with it hand it back. After a few months of that I realized I never missed a ball with a Revo. So I decided it was a magic stick and bought one. Quickly realized it's very possible to miss with a Revo.

The bad: yes it's true that it's so smooth you don't need a glove. But the feelings of that shaft against my skin felt uncomfortable. I prefer the feeling of wood. But doesn't matter to me since I always shoot with a glove.

The bad: if you aim using the shaft like SVB and not ball to ball like Efren it'll take time to adjust because the shaft is black. Especially true in darker rooms. First 2 days was a nightmare I couldn't aim using English ( I use the side of the shaft to aim when I spin ). After a few days it wasn't a factor my eyes/brain got used to it.

The bad: only comes in uniloc or radial so if your butts are different you'll have to change the insert which will void the warranty. I found this out when I broke my Revo. After about a month of dealing with their customer service ( nightmare ) they were kind enough to ship me a new one.

The bad: people will come up to you and ask if it's a Revo and ask to hold it. If you don't like that sort of attention it can be annoying. I don't mind.

The good. It's very low deflection. It makes me feel cool. I'm that guy with the Revo. I like the aesthetic. I like fashion and prefer nice things. I don't mind being seduced by the new shiny object. I like making money and I like spending money. Performance wise it feels good. But I'd say I'm just as dangerous with my mezz shafts. Love the wx900 for example. The mezz is 12mm the Revo is 12.4. To be honest I can play with any low deflection shaft but for now I prefer the Revo.

Note: The shaft is marketed as a 12.4, it's actually 12.5mm. Doesn't really matter but worth mentioning.

Mine came with a soft tip. I heard that it feels like a medium because it's on a carbon fiber shaft. Nope. It feels like a soft tip because it's a soft tip.

If you want it and you got the money get it. Think of it like buying a new jacket or a new pair of shoes. Don't think of it as buying a new computer. If it's better than other shafts on the market the difference is so tiny that it's not worth mentioning. It's all in the stroke, pattern play, speed control, mental game, etc etc.
I agree as well

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#4)
Sunchaser
Belgian Malinois
Sunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2019, 05:20 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write about this. I too agree, and still have no need for one. It's kinda sad to see a decent player miss, lose, struggle, and make excuses for their new 500 dollar shaft. But hey, to each their own. Great write up. Matt D.

Old
  (#5)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-24-2019, 05:34 AM

i bought a 12.9,tried it for a few minutes and decided to get a 12.4 to test

I like it but it doesn't fit my favorite cue of the present
I would like to sell for $450,just a few minutes old,looks new
dean
214 477 7323

Old
  (#6)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-24-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:

sent you a greenie
i agree 100%....its not the holy grail.......

Old
  (#7)
DWreckTheBoss
AzB Bronze Member
DWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond reputeDWreckTheBoss has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:

What did you do to break the revo??

Playing Cue: Players G-Series B/W no wrap
Breaking Cue: Predator BK-Rush no wrap 18 oz
Case: J&J 4x8 Black Vinyl Hard Case
Accessories:
Porper 4 Cue Clamp Holder
Magic Rack (Almost Retired)
Outsville Accu-Rack (Excellent Product!)
Poison Glove
Cuetec 3 in 1 Bowtie Tip Tool
Upgrading to a Revo playing shaft (Butt undetermined) and a Hanshew jump cue when they become available.

Old
  (#8)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

01-24-2019, 07:08 AM

How did you break it?

Old
  (#9)
Mustardeer
AzB Silver Member
Mustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond reputeMustardeer has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolhustler View Post
How did you break it?
I had to run to the bathroom at a tourney and heard my name table 7. A scetchy guy was standing next to my 3x6 hard case with my wallet inside and the revo sticking out. Instead of unscrewing and storing the shaft I threw the case over my shoulder and ran to the bathroom. The revo was sticking out above my head and it hit the door frame. Didnt think much of it since thought it was impossible to break it. Get to table 7. On my first shot the dent in the shaft cut my finger.

Good to see this review
Old
  (#10)
jackpot
AzB Silver Member
jackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see this review - 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Great review, good to see one from a great player. It's hard
to tell how the Revo plays when the guy testing it describes
himself as a banger or "not a very good player"
jack

Old
  (#11)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...
Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

01-25-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
On my first shot the dent in the shaft cut my finger.
Ouch...

Old
  (#12)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-25-2019, 05:58 AM

No mention of your coverage of the cons as to the unusual sound of the Revo when you hit it and the completely different feel feedback when you hit it? It certainly can't compare to a Mezz shaft in that regard, which are the main reasons I gave up the Revo after about 6 months.

Old
  (#13)
CuesDirectly
AzB Silver Member

CuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond repute

01-25-2019, 05:58 AM

As a believer in fine Maple shafts, here is one simple fact,

Carbon Fiber shafts will never be able to do what a Maple shaft can do.

Proof?

The front of Jay's book.

"Take the Revo challenge, bend it like Jays."

----------------------------------------------

David Brainard, custom Cuemaker
My website is CuesDirectly.com
Email, CuesDirectly@gmail.com
Facebook under both names
503 930-7776 5am -5pm West Coast time

Old
  (#14)
Mustardeer
AzB Silver Member

01-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
No mention of your coverage of the cons as to the unusual sound of the Revo when you hit it and the completely different feel feedback when you hit it? It certainly can't compare to a Mezz shaft in that regard, which are the main reasons I gave up the Revo after about 6 months.
The hit is very different but you get used to it after a few days. To be honest if Iím playing well Iím not really aware of the cue in my hands. Iím just solving a puzzle and the balls disappear themselves. Not to compare myself to Michael Jordan, but a pro basketball player is not thinking about the way his shoes feel while heís playing. Heís just trying to win the game. If heís thinking about the shoes heís in trouble.

Old
  (#15)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

01-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
All cues make some sort of "sound".

I prefer a "muted" sound, if you will. That is my personal preference and it may not appeal to others.

I hate playing with a cue that makes a "high pitched pinging sound", but some people love that sound and play with the hardest tip possible in order to hear it. A lot of cues that are set up to make this sound have very "harsh" hits, which do not appeal to me.

It is kind of like dribbling a basketball. If the ball doesn't have enough air, it will make a "thud" and not respond the way you like. If you overfill it, it will bounce too high and make a different sound. I like a basketball that is filled the way it feels best to "me" and allows me to "control" it best.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: