Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi
Reply
Page 30 of 30 « First 20282930
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#436)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 16,930
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
   
06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
... he stopped because he got tired and someone said they wanted to eat so Willie said ok Iím done . ....
No, Willie missed the 6 ball to end his run at 526. We have been over this recently. Did you miss the other posts?

And I don't think that's the way Thorsten spells his name.


Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#437)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cornerman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,057
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL
   
06-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
Mosconi set that record while doing an exhibition. He was just running balls and he stopped because he got tired and someone said they wanted to eat so Willie said ok Iím done .
That was not the 526 run that we're all talking about. I think you need to reread all the posts if you're willing respond with what is now been answered so many times.

Willie missed at shot 527 for his official BCA-recorded run.

Willie also shot an unofficial 609, which he reportedly stopped because he was tired and they had to get something to eat.

John Schmidt has the longest verifiable run at 626.

No other "how did he feel" question matters. It really doesn't.


--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#438)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute
 
WildWing's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2011
   
06-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post

Willie also shot an unofficial 609, which he reportedly stopped because he was tired and they had to get something to eat.
Not picking on you, but can you show us some evidence that Willie quit on the 609? We do have some documentation on the 589, but you're talking about the 609.

All the best,
WW
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#439)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cornerman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,057
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL
   
06-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
Not picking on you, but can you show us some evidence that Willie quit on the 609? We do have some documentation on the 589, but you're talking about the 609.

All the best,
WW
I can't. There are a few reports that Charlie Ursitti wrote an article that says both the 589 and the 609. My faulty memory says I remember reading the article, but that's all I can remember. I've said before that this was anecdotal and reportedly.


--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#440)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute
 
WildWing's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2011
   
06-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I can't. There are a few reports that Charlie Ursitti wrote an article that says both the 589 and the 609. My faulty memory says I remember reading the article, but that's all I can remember. I've said before that this was anecdotal and reportedly.
Charlie reported on the 589, not the 609.

All the best,
WW
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#441)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute
 
SpiderWebComm's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,777
vCash: 1275
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
   
06-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Well, I'm betting the other way. I, for one, believe John became a better 14.1 player during his quest for the record and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Stu, I will make you a small sweat bet of say $100 per match against any opponent John has the next time he participates in 14.1 tourney. I know you're down to your last few million and it might make you a bit anxious, but I'm offering you a chance to get a small taste of the presuure you feel when you have something on the line other than just your opinion. What do you say big guy?
After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.

Last edited by SpiderWebComm; 06-06-2019 at 08:14 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#442)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute
 
K2Kraze's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
   
06-06-2019, 09:09 PM

John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

Weíre seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, Iím really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#443)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cardigan Kid's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Syracuse, NY
   
06-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

Weíre seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, Iím really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.
Tap, tap, tap....

Great post, friend.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#444)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: At the table
   
06-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

Weíre seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, Iím really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.
I second the:

TAP TAP TAP!!!

Simple, straight to the point and Nondebatabley correct!

Great post sir!


I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?
  
Reply With Quote
Very Well Said
Old
  (#445)
JL in ATL
AzB Silver Member
JL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond reputeJL in ATL has a reputation beyond repute
 
JL in ATL's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas
   
Very Well Said - 06-07-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.
Best post yet.

Regards,

John
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#446)
4pointer
AzB Silver Member
4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2008
   
06-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.
steal your lines and post it wrong thread .
standing ovations to comment about 626 !
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#447)
Poolshootindon
Registered Pool Offender
Poolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond reputePoolshootindon has a reputation beyond repute
 
Poolshootindon's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 75
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland Oregon
   
06-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hits 'em Hard View Post
Mosconiís run was vs an actual human being opponent. Schmidtís was against who exactly? Nothing amazing to me. He still holds the highest run on video though.
And how many shots did Mosconi's opponent shoot during his record run? Maybe John should have had a friend hold a cue while running 626 so he could say he had an opponent.

Congrats to John..
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#448)
JoeJester
AzB Bronze Member
JoeJester is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
   
06-07-2019, 09:35 PM

Lots of differences between John Schmdt's achievements and Mosconi's.

The table ... well, how does a modern table compare to the one used in the exhibition match? We could use Dr Dave's Table Difficulty Factor for a comparison. Without going into all the measurements, Dr Dave's paper (https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_a...2013/nov13.pdf) has the 9 ft diamond cut pro as 1.07 difficulty and the gold crown as a 0.91 difficulty. So there runs on a Gold Crown should be higher about 110 (GC) to 93. (psst ... that valley bar box is a 0.77)

Mosconi was in an exhibition race to 200, and was at 200-3 when he continued the run to 525. Schmidt's run did not have an opponent, and I don't know how he started the run, but, never the less, it is quite the accomplishment.

I've heard of another player running 700 and Mosconi is reputed to run 1000 in practice. Naturally no affidavits or video exists of these two feats. The ancient Chinese proverb of the faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory, applies.

Now, however the record people decide, I hope this spurs an interest in 14.1

I know a venue with 4 inch pockets. That certainly is not conducive to big runs, but I think there could be some serious contests with straight pool runs, starting with ball in hand and a favorable break ball position to start the run. I'd say charge $10 per attempt and stoke the pot with $100 in a race to 100. The prize money becomes all the fees collected and the pot combined for the first to 100. Then incrementally increase the run and the initial pot. You could discriminate by doing a xxx fargo rate and lower plus an open with a larger initial pot and fee.

Don't forget to video the attempts.

John has my congratulations on an excellent run. I'm thinking he attempted it 1000 times since he started this quest. Long hard work paid off.

So, who is breaking the record next week? Good luck to all who try.

p.s. It won't be me.

Last edited by JoeJester; 06-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#449)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: May 2006
   
06-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantti View Post
Amazing! Congratulations to John for making history!
I agree this is amazing and good for pool. Look I wrote something that appeared to some as down playing what John has done. Look there is no down playing what he achieved, this record was considered the milestone that would never be broken. Well it was broken by 100 balls and John will probably set a new record. I don’t care or really know if Mosconi quit or missed people have said he did miss butthe record was set at 526 and John beat it. Now people can argue that Mosconi could have run more balls with a better cue, cloth or what ever. The same arguments can be made about shooters that shot before Mosconi. Sports or anything in general the equipment gets better in time but also John shot on a harder table and John broke a record in a game that is not played as often as it was played back then. What John has done is resurrect straight pool as the top game to play. Those of us that play this game know how hard it really is and love it. Look at all the great players that didn’t play much straight pool like Reyes and Hall because it just doesn’t pay that much, maybe that will changeThanks John for what you have done for pool.

Last edited by chas1022; 06-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 30 of 30 « First 20282930

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.