Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship
Page 23 of 36 « First 13212223 242533 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#331)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-23-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Thanks for the info Bob.

I was asking about the APA system. IMO, it sucks a55.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it or not but, what I do know is if they can't beat that, they should just remove all handicapping and let the chips fall where they may.

I had rather play the #1 player on the planet even, as to give someone 6/3 just because they refuse to do what it takes to get there.

I know lots don't agree with that but, thats why I don't and won't play league.

It seems to me, they are trying to always find an angle instead of stepping up and stepping out.

Anyways, thanks for the info sir.

Have a good one,

Jeff
hey jeff,
first I gotta say I was actually just thinking recently, "where are all the rake posts at?"
have you been mia or is it just my imagination?

second- personally, I'm not much for handicapping..I'd rather get my brains bashed in and learn something from it
(I know, you're thinking, how can you learn with bashed brains? well, you get used to it).
I can see value in handicapping, especially for betting types-
it's just a spice on the cue rack that doesn't jive with my tastebuds.

this said, I've done a few bca leagues and they didn't handicap.
sometimes I got smoked, sometimes I did the smokin', but I had a good time overall, and met some nice folks in the process.
one of the (many) things I like about pool is that you gotta be a one-person team out there, no room for a crowd..
but if I did a league again, I would be happy to do bca.

peace & love

Old
  (#332)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post
Probably won't happen, but this is what license agreements are for! Or with enough time, a FargoRate-based league could displace APA?
This is where I'm at with the whole thing.

The apa is the largest league here and they have a system that really doesn't work. They should step up and fix it or step away. Maybe I'll start a campaign

Old
  (#333)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post

The apa is the largest league here and they have a system that really doesn't work. They should step up and fix it or step away. Maybe I'll start a campaign
Their system works fine.. If your looking for anything from government to marriage to a pool league to be perfect your in for a lifetime of disappointment

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#334)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 07:11 AM

With all the users on AZBilliards making a custom AZBilliards tournament should be interesting.

If it was an AZBilliards tournament and AZ users supported it there may be enough vendors and players to make it worth everyone's time.

AZbilliards national championship could follow the old IPT qualifying format. And for those that don't make it, can enjoy minigames or shop for the newest aiming system, billiards gear and have actual convention style meetings to discuss the future of amateur pool.

Old
  (#335)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member
KissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post

If it is so terrible, ya have to wonder why it is the biggest.

Old
  (#336)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
Quantity does not imply quality.

Popular does not mean better
Old
  (#337)
Runnintable
AzB Silver Member

Runnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond reputeRunnintable has a reputation beyond repute

Popular does not mean better - 08-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Pop Music is mostly garbage but the masses love it.
APA has modeled a league for a large 'pool' of people (pun intended), and they are successful at it.

The better players in my region do not play APA, but they have other options.

Good Luck and Good Strokes,

RunninTable

Old
  (#338)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
That's an excellent question. The "23 rule" is likely a large part of the reason it expands in the areas where it is successful. The rule turns all the players into recruiters. The rule also has consequences that some consider bad.

Another factor is that the fee structure brings a lot of money to the national office that can be used for promotion and to the LOs. Since the amount the LOs get is proportional to how many teams are playing, they have a strong incentive to recruit and promote. Also, they are given exclusive rights within an area.

I think all that is separate from the particular handicap system they use. I think one very attractive (to some players) feature of the APA's Equalizer™ system is that the players can see that it is possible to "improve" or "maintain" their SL by simple bookkeeping techniques. If you take that approach, the system is beautiful rather than an outrage and travesty.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#339)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
It’s the biggest because they spot terrible players so much.
I just eatched a finals match where the “winner” needed to make 4 balls...4 balls to be a “world champion”.

Old
  (#340)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us820 View Post
I just eatched a finals match where the “winner” needed to make 4 balls...4 balls to be a “world champion”.
Dang......... no words but, dang.

Edit: on the other side of the coin, I can remember when I went to state finals about 5-6 years ago. Up in Columbus, GA {wasn't APA}.

The two teams in the finals of the team event played very well. They were so evenly matched, that every player had to play their hardest. We must've seen 4-5 break and runs in a row, followed by wicked safeties, followed by some tremendous outs even for pro standards.

The good 'ole days.....

Last edited by DelawareDogs; 08-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Old
  (#341)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us820 View Post
Do you understand how this works and why only 4 were needed???

Do some research.

Old
  (#342)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchultz View Post
Do you understand how this works and why only 4 were needed???

Do some research.
Yes,still so stupid.

Old
  (#343)
us820
AzB Silver Member

08-23-2019, 11:02 AM

It should be 3 wins of the 5 matches wins IMHO.

Also in 8 ball it kills me with the shortness of the race how 2s can easily get 3-0s in a “race” to 2.Lets the weakest players control too many points.

Old
  (#344)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
League results are included, and the mechanism to get them in is to manage your league with fargorate.com/LMS
Interesting. I was wondering you you rated players who never play in a tournament.

How far back do you go in leagues or tournaments to capture results?

Old
  (#345)
HarddTimezz
AzB Silver Member
HarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond reputeHarddTimezz has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 11:53 AM

To the DQ'd team, congrats on the deep run, you should be proud not angry. Looking at your text messages, you built the team to have fun, just play, and let the chips fall where they may, well this is the result. To hell with the trophy and a few bucks, the memories should be worth much more.

You gave it your all, just had too many players raised in the process. APA is not accusing you of cheating just unfortunately breaking a rule and the penalty is see you again in 2yrs, no big deal.

Also, one simple change to stop this from occuring is simply never lowering a handicap. If you played strong enough to reach a level, there you are, no reason to go down, practice harder or find something else to do. Simple really. It's ridiculous to see players with hundreds of matches remain a sl1/2 and be disqualified. Again, congrats!!

Page 23 of 36 « First 13212223 242533 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: