Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Guide to Finding your Vision Center
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old
  (#46)
tucson9ball
AzB Silver Member
tucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

10-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
If all these things like eye placement, aiming systems, perfect PSR, super dupa tips, $40 chalk, and custom cues were worth worrying about, no one would ever run a 100 balls. Wonder how all the greats, both male and female that are in the HOF made 3 balls in a row W/O all this special stuff. Johnnyt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
I'm sorry to say I have to agree with you. There are many more top players today for sure, but I believe it's because of books like Mark Wilson's and others that teach a good foundation so you can fit it to what's comfortable for their game. Almost every sport in the U.S that we were ahead in has been taken over from 3rd world countries and from poor areas of this country. Why? Because they are hungry and will train hard for a better life. Johnnyt
LOL, you sir I could probably enjoy an evening of pool playing and BS'ing.
Back to the OP.....OK we know which eye is dominant, is this info going to make us line up a shot different? I get over my cue and line up/aim where I want to hit, then I pull the trigger. Assuming I stroke through straight without twisting my wrist or arm and assuming I use the correct speed....I should pocket the ball and get position on the next one.
I purposely left out any use of English, that would open a whole new can of worms ie: adjusting to throw, squirt(backhand English/forehand English) and all that stuff.
Ah, if it were just that easy to know which eye is dominant and "voila" now I can't miss a ball? There is much more to it.
I will admit, it's nice knowing all these different things and working them out on the practice table. After a while they should become automatic. You can't worry about how your holding your cue or which eye is dominant while in the middle of a tournament or money match. Make these things automatic so you can relax and play your game.
And......remember to breathe through your eyelids

Chris

Old
  (#47)
JayKidd
Grammatically Challenged
JayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond reputeJayKidd has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Have you tried your experiment at different distances? Is the result exactly the same?
For me, the result is as expected, when the distance to the mirror is less than 6 inches, the vision are always left eye dominant(since my left eye is near sighted) and beyond that distance, the "alignment" switched to right eye. To my surprise, there was no middle ground, sort of a merged stereo-vision center in between. As I increase the distance to several feet, the center kind of back to the middle, or the difference was hard to tell.

The truth shall make you fret

Vision problem or discovery?
Old
  (#48)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

Vision problem or discovery? - 10-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Ok guys, so I noticed on videos of me playing that sometimes my cue is under the center of my chin and sometimes is under a point between my nose and my left eye..

So I remembered this thread and doing this test so I decided to do it again but with a little change - to approach the line, or part of the card that is pointing at me that I'm looking to align with its reflection, from the left and stop immediately as it aligns and also to approach it from the right and do the same, stop immediately as it aligns.

And I got the same results as seen in my video, when I approached the line from the left - vision center was center of my nose, when I approached the line from the right - vision center was a point between my left eye and nose.

Any oppionions about this? Anyone else discovered it? What does it mean for our game?

Here are also my pictures from two different approaches, coming from left and right.
Attached Images

Old
  (#49)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Where is your head when you approach from behind the line?
Are you left eye dominant?
My best guess is your left eye wants to be the boss slightly
So when you come from the right your left and right eye are equal
When You come from the right your left eye wants to be a little dominant
Also I can’t tell from you pics but is your nose pointed straight along the shot line
Or is your nose pointed off the line so that one eye is closer to the object ball giving you an “ angled” view?
Jmho

Old
  (#50)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
Ok guys, so I noticed on videos of me playing that sometimes my cue is under the center of my chin and sometimes is under a point between my nose and my left eye..

So I remembered this thread and doing this test so I decided to do it again but with a little change - to approach the line, or part of the card that is pointing at me that I'm looking to align with its reflection, from the left and stop immediately as it aligns and also to approach it from the right and do the same, stop immediately as it aligns.

And I got the same results as seen in my video, when I approached the line from the left - vision center was center of my nose, when I approached the line from the right - vision center was a point between my left eye and nose.

Any oppionions about this? Anyone else discovered it? What does it mean for our game?

Here are also my pictures from two different approaches, coming from left and right.
I'm not sure this technique gives you the best information for your pool-playing "vision center." Try instead the technique at the 10:51 point in the "Top 10 Pool and Billiard Myths Busted and Debunked" video.

That should give you more accurate and consistent results. Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#51)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Where is your head when you approach from behind the line?
Are you left eye dominant?
My best guess is your left eye wants to be the boss slightly
So when you come from the right your left and right eye are equal
When You come from the right your left eye wants to be a little dominant
Also I can’t tell from you pics but is your nose pointed straight along the shot line
Or is your nose pointed off the line so that one eye is closer to the object ball giving you an “ angled” view?
Jmho
My head is always square to the mirror, as is my body, and then I lean to my left if I approach the line from the right, and vice versa.

I have no idea what eye is dominant, most standard tests give me right eye dominant, this test only gives me left eye dominant: https://youtu.be/qsw8ZhvYJBE?t=286

If it looks I'm angled that is because maybe I angled my phone a little when taking the picture.

Old
  (#52)
ipoppa33
Shakedown Custom Rods
ipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
I have no idea what eye is dominant, most standard tests give me right eye dominant, this test only gives me left eye dominant: https://youtu.be/qsw8ZhvYJBE?t=286
This is kinda weird, I'm the same. All of the other eye dominance test show to me to be right eye dominant, but with Sargent Slaughters test i'm left eye dominant. Interesting!
Thanks

Playing Cue: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
J/B: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
Other cues: Some of old Palmers, Scruggs, Sugartree, Onley

Old
  (#53)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

10-09-2019, 05:51 AM

I hope someone like Geno will chime in to help us a bit with this subject.

Old
  (#54)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

10-09-2019, 05:53 AM

I forgot to write that I also had big problems while trying to aligne the edge of the taped card to its reflection, I start seeing to edges/lines of the card thats perpendicular to the mirror, anyone else had this problem with this experiment?

Old
  (#55)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2019, 06:20 AM

Question: doesn't all this VC stuff depend on a 100% consistent stance/alignment position? I mean, does anybody stand to the shot EXACTLY the same every time? I'm right-eye dom. and all i do is try to position my right eye over my shot line, drop down and shoot. I've never done that straight-in test. I'll try it but i don't see any big surprises coming.

Old
  (#56)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Question: doesn't all this VC stuff depend on a 100% consistent stance/alignment position? I mean, does anybody stand to the shot EXACTLY the same every time? I'm right-eye dom. and all i do is try to position my right eye over my shot line, drop down and shoot. I've never done that straight-in test. I'll try it but i don't see any big surprises coming.
Take some time to check your cues alignment. You may have your vision centered, it the cue could be shifted. Do you feel you can get more side spin one way or the other? One can be aligned center ball, but still be shifted through the axis of the ball. Center ball and center tip is aligned, most people do not align for center tip, just center ball.

Old
  (#57)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member
genomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 10:51 AM

This is so mixed up. First of all the pointing and circle eye dominance tests flat out don't work. I'm sorry. Yes they do. 50% of the time. So you have a 50% chance of being right when you do this test. I got sick and tired of wasting my time when I first started teaching Perfect Aim by identifying the wrong eye as dominant. The way I do it now and it is almost fool proof is I show a player how to make the right eye dominant in the preshot and then the left. Once they understand this then I have them get down on the shot and do the same thing. They will usually be able to tell me which eye is dominant because it looks better than the other way. As far as this center ball stuff goes, if you are left eye dominant / right handed you usually have trouble being to the left of center on the cue ball naturally. I help a player fix this once they get the dominant eye in the most dominant position. If you are opposite eye dominant you need help with the eyes. If your same eye dominant you need help with the eyes. It's just easier. Knowing which eye is dominant does you absolutely no good if you don't know what to do with it. This is what I teach. Dr Dave really did myself and pool players an injustice by trying to explain Perfect aim without having a clue how it actually works. GGRRRRR. Once a player knows how this really works they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is the only wat it really is. it's just the way the eyes work. I didn't create something because I thought this is how it is and I didn't copy something I read. I did the roadwork around the country doing 15 to 25 lessons a week learning and learning and learning as I went. The more I taught the more I learned. Today when a player does the Perfect Aim lesson I am sharing 10 years of sweat and blood to figure this out for everyone. Many teachers try to discredit what I teach or should I say they did try but the proof is just too strong. I'm heading to Beloit to the HOF, Hall of Fame, and I will probably be stuck there for a week before I get out of town. All I have to do is a few lessons and the rest is history. I get about 5 to 10 players line up the next day or so because of what the ones that did the lessons told them. All I got to say is ,,,,If they only knew....???????

Old
  (#58)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member
genomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 10:55 AM

This picture in the mirror does nothing to help. You might be and you might not be. That's what it tells you.

Old
  (#59)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomachino View Post
Dr Dave really did myself and pool players an injustice by trying to explain Perfect aim without having a clue how it actually works.
Gene,

The only information I have on my site concerning your system is here:

Perfect Aiming Sighting System

It mostly includes direct quotes from you, along with links to the posts from where they came.

It also includes an excerpt from a review of your DVD that Patrick Johnson posted. I have also watched your DVD, and I think Pat's description summarizes the main points of your DVD very well.

As I have always offered, if you want to provide a better description that accurately and concisely describes the gist of your system (and why PJ's description is incorrect), I would be happy to add it to the page.

Describing and posting your information in no way diminishes the value you offer to potential future students. If anything, the more people know about your approach, the more they might be willing to visit you for individualized help. Proper visual alignment is difficult to learn from a book or video, and it is much easier with the help of an instructor like you who has good understanding and a good eye to spot issues.

Also, if you have a website, Facebook page, or contact info you would like me to include on the page so people will know how to contact you for lessons and know where to purchase your DVD, please let me know and I'll add it.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 10-10-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: