Reload this Page Gold Crown 1 casting.
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Gold Crown 1 casting.
Old
  (#1)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

Gold Crown 1 casting. - 10-12-2019, 08:26 PM

Was just in Boise, ID a few days ago to deliver a 9ft Diamond ProAm and had a few days of down time before my next job in Pocatello, ID so I had a customer by the name of Mike who'd been trying for quite some time to get me to recover and level his GC1. Well, I was at Pockets billiards and as soon as someone recognized who I was, they called Mike to let him know i was in town. Next thing i know, I'm talking with Mike in person. So, went out to his house to take a look at his table, besides the horrible cloth work done to it, it was out of level, the rails didn't line up with the pocket shelfs, NONE OF THE GC1S DO, and his pocket casting were sticking way up above the formica of the rails, but I agreed to work on his table.

Took the table apart, remounted the slates CENTERED on the frame, marked out where the rail bolt holes through the Brunstone were suppose to be, then drilled the bolt holes to 7/8"ths and centered. Leveled the slates, recovered them with his new Simonis 860HR Tour Blue cloth he's had waiting for the day I'd work on his table, with fingers crossed...LOL

Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets, then recovered the rails and put the table back together again, but in reassembling the ball box, I also converted the mounting of the ball box from wood screws to 1/4"◊20◊3" machine screws and threaded inserts mounted into the frame.

I didn't take pictures as it's pretty much old news to me, but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.

Name:  img20191012_210428.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  img20191012_210355.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  img20191012_210314.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  img20191012_210240.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  37.3 KB

Old
  (#2)
dlvh
AzB Bronze Member
dlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond reputedlvh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-12-2019, 08:38 PM

^ Looks very nice indeed. I wasn't aware the castings are usually too high on GC1's, but I'm new to all this. I will have to make sure when time comes, to mention this and make certain my mechanic gets them looking like how you got them on this table.

Old
  (#3)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 10:22 PM

When RKC comes to town, the Frankentables get nervous.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
I Got Lucky
AzB Silver Member
I Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond reputeI Got Lucky has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 12:10 AM

I would bet Mike is one happy camper!!!!!

Efren..."I got lucky"..............

Me...."I got lucky too". From running away to running out on The Magician....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2BIIl5...ture=youtu.be#

Table
Old
  (#5)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Table - 10-13-2019, 12:58 AM

SWEET, nothing like some extra money for fried chickení

Rob.M

Couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie'

Old
  (#6)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 02:33 AM

Sometimes you jump on your high horse.
Sometimes I find myself disagreeing with you.
But the work you post on the Internet
that will stay forever and the knowledge you
leave for the rest of the world is truly priceless.
Next table I have installed I will wait for it
to be done correctly by the guy who shares
so much and then die in that place rather than move.
Mike is a lucky guy.

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 05:26 AM

Folks the cobra truly knows his s^*t. Really nice work there. I really hope he makes a book/dvd set someday. Lot of knowledge and experience to pass on.

Old
  (#8)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 05:33 AM

Those are really nice castings.

Are they available to purchase?

Ken

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly, Rick Howard Sneaky Pete and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#9)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Was just in Boise, ID a few days ago to deliver a 9ft Diamond ProAm and had a few days of down time before my next job in Pocatello, ID so I had a customer by the name of Mike who'd been trying for quite some time to get me to recover and level his GC1. Well, I was at Pockets billiards and as soon as someone recognized who I was, they called Mike to let him know i was in town. Next thing i know, I'm talking with Mike in person. So, went out to his house to take a look at his table, besides the horrible cloth work done to it, it was out of level, the rails didn't line up with the pocket shelfs, NONE OF THE GC1S DO, and his pocket casting were sticking way up above the formica of the rails, but I agreed to work on his table.

Took the table apart, remounted the slates CENTERED on the frame, marked out where the rail bolt holes through the Brunstone were suppose to be, then drilled the bolt holes to 7/8"ths and centered. Leveled the slates, recovered them with his new Simonis 860HR Tour Blue cloth he's had waiting for the day I'd work on his table, with fingers crossed...LOL

Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets, then recovered the rails and put the table back together again, but in reassembling the ball box, I also converted the mounting of the ball box from wood screws to 1/4"◊20◊3" machine screws and threaded inserts mounted into the frame.

I didn't take pictures as it's pretty much old news to me, but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.

Attachment 531913

Attachment 531914

Attachment 531915

Attachment 531916
Glad to see you're back working. Beautiful job by the way! I wouldn't expect any less from you. It's nice to see a craftsman who takes pride in his work.

Like I always say, "If you save one pool table, you save the world!"

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#10)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
Those are really nice castings.

Are they available to purchase?

Ken
Factory original, just buffed to a shine, then flush mounted with my system of casting adjustments.

Old
  (#11)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

10-13-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets,

but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.
Can you mount the castings flush like that without the "pocket casting leveling system"? I actually just learned that such a thing existed! ha! Mine stick up a bit, but over the many decades of playing on GC1/2's I never saw one that did have flush pocket castings - EXCEPT the one in this thread! holy smokes!

Thanks!

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#12)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
Can you mount the castings flush like that without the "pocket casting leveling system"? I actually just learned that such a thing existed! ha! Mine stick up a bit, but over the many decades of playing on GC1/2's I never saw one that did have flush pocket castings - EXCEPT the one in this thread! holy smokes!

Thanks!

-td
No, because you have to be able to adjust how the front and back of the castings sit in relation to the formica finish of the rails. The adjustment dont change even when you take the rails apart, recover them, then put the rails back together again. What other mechanics try and do if anything is shim the castings, which falls out everytime the rails are taken apart, then have to be shimmed again.

Old
  (#13)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

10-13-2019, 07:18 AM

Looking good!

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#14)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Factory original, just buffed to a shine, then flush mounted with my system of casting adjustments.
Damn, that is some fine work there!
Mike is a fortunate guy!

Will Prout

Old
  (#15)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
No, because you have to be able to adjust how the front and back of the castings sit in relation to the formica finish of the rails. The adjustment dont change even when you take the rails apart, recover them, then put the rails back together again. What other mechanics try and do if anything is shim the castings, which falls out everytime the rails are taken apart, then have to be shimmed again.
I have a GC II. I assume the correct fot is flush to the trim and consistently slightly over flush to the formica?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: