Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mystery Indianapolis Player?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-26-2019, 04:59 PM

He looks like 100 guys from that era , but I don't think he was a top player. I agree that it isn't Jimmy Reid or Toby Sweet,, my first thought was Matlock , same nose, but I don't think so .

Last edited by book collector; 10-26-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Old
  (#32)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 11:01 AM

Iím not giving up on this yet....somebody has to know him.

Name:  2E027F35-90E2-4A1C-92D0-EA3F0A22762D.jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  78.2 KB

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#33)
Thecoats
AzB Silver Member
Thecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

10-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by book collector View Post
He looks like 100 guys from that era , but I don't think he was a top player. I agree that it isn't Jimmy Reid or Toby Sweet,, my first thought was Matlock , same nose, but I don't think so .
David is left handed.

Old
  (#34)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I’m not giving up on this yet....somebody has to know him.

Attachment 532914
I swear he looks familiar to me, one of the local hustlers who used to be all over Ohio and Indiana back in the day. I never knew all their names. There must have been over a hundred shortstop level players running around the Midwest, gambling in bars and poolrooms back in the 60's and 70's. There was action everywhere back then! And a decent player could grind out a living if he was careful.

For all I know I may have played this guy myself. In a ten year period I gambled with hundreds of different guys, rarely ever turning down a game. I've had guys come up to me at tournaments years later and tell me about a game we played. They remembered where and when and how much we played for. Most of the time I didn't remember them or the game. I may have just remembered being in that town and playing a couple of people. I did remember the guys who beat me though!

P.S. I was nothing like Dean who posts on here. He would lay down and make sure he had a good game before showing any speed. He was much smarter than me! I wanted to play every day. And I'd just walk in, go right to the counter and ask if there was anyone who wanted to play. I got games quick that way!

P.P.S. He kind of reminds me of a guy who I used to see in the daily Ring game in Richmond, IN. They played $1 on the five and $2 on the nine. If you made one out of turn, it spotted back up and you kept on shooting. I had a job working nearby in the Leland hotel for a few months on the night shift (11PM to 7AM). I'd get up in the afternoon and go over to the poolroom and eat one of their Sloppy Joe beef sandwiches for lunch (so good!). Then I'd get in the game. I was maybe 21-22 then and had been playing for three or four years. I could play a little, good enough to beat that game for 20 or 30 bucks on most days. That is, until one day when someone stole my cue when I went to the bathroom. There were five or six guys there and no one saw anything! I knew that I was no longer welcome in that game and never went back, except to eat lunch.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 10-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Old
  (#35)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
10-27-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha View Post
he obviously won the tournament.
You'd think so but everyone out there believes he is a complete unknown who just made up A Frame for himself. It's the leading theory at the moment. If he was a champion, he would have been id'd long ago. JMHO;

Plus the word winner/champion is missing from the frame plaque.

Old
  (#36)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
You'd think so but everyone out there believes he is a complete unknown who just made up A Frame for himself. It's the leading theory at the moment. If he was a champion, he would have been id'd long ago. JMHO;

There were a lot of good players back then...a road player could go broke to an unknown.
I mentioned a few years ago about Dave Charette....he lost to Mike Carella in a finals at
Farhatís Velvet Rail in Lansing....beat a bunch of champions to get there.
When I asked what he was doing, nobody knew him.

I know Iíve seen this guy....itís the way he holds his head over the cue.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#37)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Complete unknown might not be accurate.
He could be a really great player , who never left his home base, there are a lot of them out there.
Lots of real good players came through Columbus Ohio and didn't know Kenny McCoy was, waiting for them to play some 5 dollar nine ball, and end their careers.
I watched half a dozen up and coming road players get beat so bad , they left town knowing they were in the wrong business.

Old
  (#38)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 01:59 AM

even world beaters like tom jennings. he looked like that pic but had more curly hair.
few around could identify him and he was one of the best in history straight pool players.

Old
  (#39)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
He could be a really great player , who never left his home base, there are a lot of them out there.
Lots of real good players came through Columbus Ohio and didn't know Kenny McCoy was, waiting for them to play some 5 dollar nine ball, and end their careers.
I watched half a dozen up and coming road players get beat so bad , they left town knowing they were in the wrong business.
First time Jim Rempe came through Ohio he played Kenny to a draw. He told me later that was the best player he had ever played.

Old
  (#40)
pt109
WO double hemlock

10-28-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
First time Jim Rempe came through Ohio he played Kenny to a draw. He told me later that was the best player he had ever played.
Call the man by his right name, youse guys...
...the word on the road was beware of THE TRUCKDRIVER in Columbus....

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#41)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

10-28-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Call the man by his right name, youse guys...
...the word on the road was beware of THE TRUCKDRIVER in Columbus....
Ha Ha, you're right. Kenny "The Trucker" McCoy.

Old
  (#42)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-28-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Justis View Post
I don't recognize the player but I recognize the watch. Its a Pulsar P-2. I still have mine and it keeps perfect time.
Attachment 532775

Attachment 532776
My dad had one of those - talk about nostalgia!

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#43)
Banger
AzB Silver Member
Banger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Ha Ha, you're right. Kenny "The Trucker" McCoy.
Wonder if he was related to Willie McCoy. The country boy out of south Alabama who everyone called "Slim".

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" -- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Banger; 10-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Old
  (#44)
$TAKE HOR$E
champagne - campaign
$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-28-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
anyone guess Tony Howard?
Good eye...thatís indeed one eyed Tony Howard from KY

Don't be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking, they will talk about you forever
~ unknown

The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain
~ Bruce Lee

Ya'll warned me, but I didnt listen.....
~ Death Ball

I'm not surprised motherf*%$#@'s
~ Nate Diaz

WWW.MACECUES.COM

DOOM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463005

Old
  (#45)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

10-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $TAKE HOR$E View Post
Good eye...that’s indeed one eyed Tony Howard from KY
I struggled over that one. I knew "One Eyed" Tony and he was a really good player. He looks younger there than when I remember him. I think he died at about age 40 or so in a car accident. The best one eyed pool player I'd ever known up to that point. Later on there was Andy Scott, Tom Brown and Niels (?). Tony could really cut those balls thin.

I know there was some other good one eyed players. Who remembers them?

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: