Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Switched to harder tip and started to play bad
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
9Ballr
AzB Silver Member
9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-24-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw98 View Post
Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?

Funny how it works, Sniper is my favorite tip by a long shot.
There's no other tip that I can get as much action on the cue ball or draw as easily as I do with the Sniper tips.
Not to mention it's the perfect hardness.
Another bonus, the are for me extremely low maintenance and never mushroom even after breaking with my play cue.
I used to shoot Triangle for years but have since moved to Sniper.
I would never describe Sniper as hard. Medium is closer to what I feel.
Just goes to show ya....lol

----------------------
Shall NOT be infringed. OK?

Last edited by 9Ballr; 10-24-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Old
  (#17)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
Switch back to what you were using and quit experimenting with your own cue.
Stick with what you know worked fine. If and when you encounter a cue you can
try that has a different tip than Kamui Black soft, and I recommend you actually
use Kamui Clear Black soft, then switch your cue’s tip. Just play what you know
you like until you find a cue with a tip you prefer more. Tip hardness is important.
Normally, that might be good advice, but I see two problems.

1. A tip the feels good to you on someone else's cue, may not feel close to the same on your cue. Even cues from the same manufacturer, same make, same model. What if the other guys cue uses a nickel radius, and you like a dime radius? What about the weight of the cue.... say for instance he likes 21 Oz and you like 18? There is no way you can get a good feel for that tip in those situations.

2. A person cannot judge a tip by banging around with it for 5 minutes. That only applies to your wife! It can take a week or more to mentally adjust to a new tip (again...same for the wife!) Some people more, some people less.

Back when I used to use LePro's, I discovered that they played best for me when they were very close to the end of their life. About the time I started liking them, they had to be changed. Then you had to readjust to the feel of a new tip. That's why I gave up on them. Not to mention the constant maintenance.

Then tried Everest. Took a while to get used to the feel. It was an adjustment, but after a while, it was playing good for me. But it also gets harder as it wears. Then after some feedback and reviews from other players, I started using the Onyx. It's a good tip. But it also is harder at the end of it life. Not as big of a difference as the other ones , but I consider the Onyx more of a medium hard tip , not a medium . The reason I gave up on them is they doubled the price to over $21 a tip. There's no reason any tip should cost $21. It seems to be a common theme among Tiger products (Kamui also) and their M.A.P. pricing , So I moved on. That's when I decided to play with a hard tip..... based on I liked the others better after they became compressed and harder.

Now enter Moori tips. The thing I like about the Morri is they play the same from start to finish. Then when I replace it, the new one feels very close to the old one I took off. That applies to the hard one anyway.... no idea about the soft or medium. Again, there was a learning curve, but after a month or two I seen no reason to ever try something else. They are around $10 bucks, but with this one I'm only replacing it every third year. The reason is I don't have to do constant maintenance to it. Shape it after install, then twice more in the first couple of months. then it's pretty much good for the rest of its life. I do occasionally burnish the sides. NEVER have to scuff it. Won't glaze. I have discussed my tip conditioning in a previous thread. You have to be careful where you buy the Moori's, as the are counterfeits out there.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft.Everest tip
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-25-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Old
  (#18)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?
Everyone knows how I feel about KAMUI.
Try a Milk Dud , az member pooldawg puts them out for sale all the time.

Old
  (#19)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I F D 1 View Post
Everyone knows how I feel about KAMUI.
Try a Milk Dud , az member pooldawg puts them out for sale all the time.
What hardness rating would you say this particular milk dud tip is?

Eddie

Old
  (#20)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeofLuck View Post
If your previous tip was played way down, like the thickness of a nickel or so, it might be more the height of the tip than the density. That's why a lot of people cut them back a ways during install. It feels strange for a while to have a thick tip when you're used to something shorter. Play with it for a bit, maybe have it trimmed down, before you give up on it.
I just installed an Ultraskin Medium black that came on my first WX900 about 5 mins ago, and it came out pretty good. But like you said, it might take a little adjustment because of how thick/tall the tip is in relation to the worn out original tan Kamui.

Left to Right: first WX900, Deep Impact II, EX-Pro, WX700

new 1st WX900 w/ fresh tip

Old
  (#21)
Jimbojim
AzB Silver Member
Jimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
Once it is in your head- which this obviously is now- I would go back to a tip you are most comfortable with already. I guarantee you, until you go back, you will blame every poor performance on that newer tip.
What he said!

" You can chalk that cue as much as you want, but if you don't chalk your mind you will still miscue" - Puncho

Playing cue : Mezz Axi-R with Expro shaft
Breaking cue : Mezz Power Break Kai
Jump Cue : Pitbull
Case : Cowboy Instroke 3B/7S

Old
  (#22)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post
If your only problem is overrunning position, try hitting a quarter tip lower on the cue ball. In my experience, all the shots that can be made with one tip can be made with another, unless you are trying to get some large bit of masse going on. I have 6 different tips on 6 different cues, all of them play about the same though, slight adjustments do have to be made, but they are almost unconscious after the first couple of balls.. The only tip I ever put on that I didn't like was a Kamui Hard. Was very hard indeed.

With respect, this is pretty bad advice. Tip position equals cueball path. If youíre not changing the cueball path, donít change the tip position. The only real difference going from tip to tip is the amount of force required for various shots.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#23)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:

It is sad that the price of tip replacement has become an "investment" topic". But everything has a "fleecing" factor involved.

Old
  (#24)
Rimfirejunkie
AzB Silver Member
Rimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeRimfirejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
What hardness rating would you say this particular milk dud tip is?

Eddie
If I remember correctly someone tested a bunch of different tips and his averaged 72-73

Old
  (#25)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfirejunkie View Post
If I remember correctly someone tested a bunch of different tips and his averaged 72-73
Thanks. I'm going to try a couple.

Eddie

Old
  (#26)
9ball5032
AzB Silver Member
9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 12:26 AM

Get back...Ö..get back to where you once belonged.....

Old
  (#27)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

10-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Iíve played with a Sniper tip for years and itís my favorite tip (personal preference of course). Iíve tried a lot of different tips especially since Iíve had my own cue lathe for many years and Iíve settled on the Sniper as my favorite.
What Iíve learned about it is it takes maybe 2 weeks (depending on how much you play) for it to break in. Mine start a little soft and go to what Iíd consider a medium hard after they break in.
It sounds like you were so used to your old tip itís going take a little time for you to adjust to the Sniper plus getting it broken in. Donít give up on it because I think youíll like it once you break it in and get used to it.

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Old
  (#28)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
Thanks. I'm going to try a couple.

Eddie
You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: