CTE PRO ONE: Tyler is a champion using it... now what? discredit CTE more?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your zeal to criticize me you failed to read what I wrote. Not knowing this individual, who said he just switched to CTE 2 years ago and still misses about 1 out of 10 shots, I said "If you are a beginner"... For the record, someone who misses 10% of his shots (assuming they are routine shots) is not far from a beginner.

Advanced players and pro's use a pre shot routine, which you continually conflate with an aiming system.

I consider myself an advanced player, and consider you one as well, from what little I could glean from your secretive Howard Hughes-esque presence in this forum.

You realize that the guy making 9 out of 10 shots can realistically run out from just about anywhere, yet you recommended a beginners book to him.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You realize that the guy making 9 out of 10 shots can realistically run out from just about anywhere, yet you recommended a beginners book to him.

I've realized over time that you don't get a lot of things and it is useless to try and make it clear to you. So I won't try.

Maybe BrianB will answer the questions he's been presented, but so far he's doing a disappearing act like all the others who are asked straight questions.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried CTE or any other aiming system? If so, what part would you say is not "reality"? For CTE or the 90/90 system, I can tell you that it works exactly as they say it does...as long as you can accurately comprehend what they are teaching

Dan White has never tried real CTE so he has no idea. He's only here to stir the pot.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've realized over time that you don't get a lot of things and it is useless to try and make it clear to you. So I won't try.

Maybe BrianB will answer the questions he's been presented, but so far he's doing a disappearing act like all the others who are asked straight questions.

I see you haven't answered any of his questions, but that's typical you.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The part where two sets of balls "present themselves differently" depending on where they are on the table even if the distance between them is exactly the same. Stan's YouTube channel used to have a video of Stevie Moore showing this on side pocket shots, but that video can't be found anymore. It was pretty unrealistic, especially since that theory is so easy disprove. But sometimes in life it doesn't matter what can be proven or disproven.... All that matters is the belief that something is possible, and from there we can often make it happen.

Well it's never been disproven and those of us that have really learned CTE know that video was correct

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well it's never been disproven and those of us that have really learned CTE know that video was correct

I can show one shot that disproves the whole thing about the balls presenting themselves differently depending on where they are on the table. But this proof is worthless for people who won't understand it or admit it.

It involves a shot that when set straight up into a side pocket, where a 15 outside is used, but also where a 15 inside or 30 outside will pocket the ball in the corner. Now if this same shot were moved back about 10 inches, still straight in for the side where a 15 outside pockets it, the corner shot will miss the pocket by 2 or 3 inches with a 15 inside/30 outside. So what perception and pivot would be able to "connect" to the corner without adjusting or changing the pivot or sweep or bridge distance to make it happen?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see you haven't answered any of his questions, but that's typical you.

Again, if you look up at the thread you'll see I was trying to start a conversation by asking what version of CTE he uses and exactly what he does. He did not say he uses Stan's version. Seemed like getting on the same page was a good idea, but maybe he didn't really want to discuss it, or maybe he suddenly got very busy.

I learned how to use CTE from Hal Houle (maybe even before you did) and then relearned it the way Stan does it. Of course, none of that matters. The question is whether CTE (I guess maybe Stan's version?) works exactly as described. Not sure how we got onto whether I am a CTE user or not.

Mohrt said he thinks the rails create a kind of optical illusion and that is why the balls "present themselves differently" depending on where they are on the table. Do you agree?

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Stan Shuffett.jpg
    Stan Shuffett.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 115

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member

I'm sorry, I work and have a life. I don't hang out here all day to reply when people "ring a bell".

And what was the question you want answered? Just a link to a video I saw? I see no other questions

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, I work and have a life. I don't hang out here all day to reply when people "ring a bell".

And what was the question you want answered? Just a link to a video I saw? I see no other questions

You're right. Sorry to be snippy. It's just that the normal pattern is that someone says something like what you did but then never defends it other than to say that we just don't understand it, which you've kind of done in advance. It doesn't help having cookie sniping at everything.

So let's start over. My post here was my initial question. You should quickly read all the threads since you made the comment that CTE works exactly as stated. There aren't that many.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6508885&postcount=75

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Well let's make sure we are talking apples to apples. There are about as many variations of CTE as there are players. In a nutshell, how do you use CTE?

I use as it is taught by Stan. I have not seen the type of CTE taught by Hal Houle except by a video I saw John Barton doing. I have hung a sheet over my table and practiced shooting without seeing the pocket the way Stan did. I can do it but the miss rate is a higher. I think back then I still needed a visual of the pocket just for peace of mind.
It's been a few years since I've tried that. Maybe I will set that up again after I get a table setup at the new place

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned how to use CTE from Hal Houle (maybe even before you did) and then relearned it the way Stan does it. Of course, none of that matters. The question is whether CTE (I guess maybe Stan's version?) works exactly as described.
Yes it matters!
Because I don't believe you.
If you "learned it" from Hal Houle, you wouldn't be spending most of your life trashing it.
And what Stan teaches works EXACTLY as described.
Now just let it go...let it go already.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro players have a great feel for pocketing balls. This fe was developed through practice and experience. So when Tyler or any pro says they are using CTE, they might be using the perceptions as part of the psr, but getting to the shot line is more than likely going to fall back on their developed feel/knowledge for aiming, which may or may not match up with a 1/2 tip offset pivot alignment. Of course, if the player spent years with the system, like Landon, then they are 100% "using" the system in accordance with their experience.

Pro endorsement of any product isn't proof that the product works or would be a benefit to everyone. There are always people that will agree with someone else's logic simply because they don't want to be seen as one who doesn't understand or get it. So they nod their head and say "yeah, I get it...I understand what you're talking about", but they really don't. I've seen it so many times when giving music lessons, or when tutoring a student in Calculus or Trigonometry. They nod their heads like they get it. They say "Ok, I get it." But as soon as they leave they are still scatching their head because they really don't get it, and they just couldn't admit it. The same happens with pool instruction also. Nobody wants to look like the one that doesn't get it.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the greatest things about CTE is that those who know it -- use it, and those that play really well and don't know they are using it -- are using it too!

Yes I'm trolling.

Have a good day everyone.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I use as it is taught by Stan. I have not seen the type of CTE taught by Hal Houle except by a video I saw John Barton doing. I have hung a sheet over my table and practiced shooting without seeing the pocket the way Stan did. I can do it but the miss rate is a higher. I think back then I still needed a visual of the pocket just for peace of mind.
It's been a few years since I've tried that. Maybe I will set that up again after I get a table setup at the new place

Your curtain shot miss rate would drop immediately if you stuck to 4 or 5 shot angles, not random shots. Stan's 15 ball curtain shot video utilizes about 5 or 6 shot angles, which makes it less of a mystery.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro players have a great feel for pocketing balls. This fe was developed through practice and experience. So when Tyler or any pro says they are using CTE, they might be using the perceptions as part of the psr, but getting to the shot line is more than likely going to fall back on their developed feel/knowledge for aiming, which may or may not match up with a 1/2 tip offset pivot alignment. Of course, if the player spent years with the system, like Landon, then they are 100% "using" the system in accordance with their experience.
ring ring goes the bell
Pavlov's Dog with captions.jpg

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your curtain shot miss rate would drop immediately if you stuck to 4 or 5 shot angles, not random shots. Stan's 15 ball curtain shot video utilizes about 5 or 6 shot angles, which makes it less of a mystery.
Wrong again.
Pavlov's Dog with captions.jpg

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member

Honestly, I use 2, maybe 3 angles (with a pivot) for everything now

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I use 2, maybe 3 angles (with a pivot) for everything now

Maybe this will be a shorter discussion than I thought. Do you change the amount of pivot or the bridge distance depending on the shot, while using those 2 or 3 "angles"?