Reload this Page 1940s Brunswick Wedge Cue ID??? Any info good
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
1940s Brunswick Wedge Cue ID??? Any info good
Old
  (#1)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member
atthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to atthecat  
1940s Brunswick Wedge Cue ID??? Any info good - 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM

I just picked this up and was hoping for more info. The person I bought it from said it was made in the 40's and that Tony Conte owned it from Chicago. Does this look like that time period? Any one know Tom? It's straight and in pretty good shape. Actually plays REALLY nice. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Playing Cues:
1974 Joss
Chuck Starkey Brunswick butterfly conversion
Table:
1963 Gold Crown I Tangerine w/ 4 inch pockets
Band video: Click Here

Last edited by atthecat; 11-07-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 05:32 PM

That's a lovely cue, don't know anything about it, except I'd like to possibly buy it, if you sell down the line that is.

Old
  (#3)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 06:01 PM

To me a couple things look incorrect but let the experts decide.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#4)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
To me a couple things look incorrect but let the experts decide.
Looks like after-market pin....and grip is covering part of the wedge.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 06:52 PM

It's certainly a nice cue I've seen the model but only in ebony butt and ebony spliced shaft , you can dig up the history and find a time line for the 26 1/2 cues ,,

Old
  (#6)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Looks like after-market pin....and grip is covering part of the wedge.
Yes I noticed that and also where the wrap ends up on the points which I love I'm wondering if that's a full splice converted cue , I'd love to cut that wrap off

Old
  (#7)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-06-2019, 07:06 PM

That looks to be a special cue for sure. I am no expert but I would guess it is older then the 40's.

Maybe the wrap was added later and many wraps would drop below the point of the wedge. The bumper is almost certainly not original to the cue. Very possible that a 26.5 was cut and the joint was added, that might explain the newish looking pin.

It is odd that the top of the wedge is so apparent under the wrap, maybe it had raised a bit. The shaft has a black collar but not one on the cue to match.

Ideologist....HELP!

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Last edited by Cuebuddy; 11-06-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Old
  (#8)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member
atthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond reputeatthecat has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2019, 09:02 PM

It was really common for the wedge to go under the wrap. I had 2 that did that. I guess with the leather you can see the indentation more.

Playing Cues:
1974 Joss
Table:

Last edited by atthecat; 11-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Old
  (#9)
9ballrob
AzB Silver Member
9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute9ballrob has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Definitely not 1940s.

The mother of pearl wedge option was gone from the catalogs before that and yes it was very common to see wraps go over the wedge, whether they were twine, leather, silk, etc.

A pin like that is also shown in the 1928 BBC catalog.

I would say it is most likely 1920s to early 30s.

Old
  (#10)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Early 1930s cue
Wraps commonly covered the wedge on these .
Pin is absolutely original. Pins were put in shafts and butts until 1940s when they stayed in the butt of the cues.
This is not a conversion cue.

Model 26.5 cue.
The black veneers at the outermost veneer is nice, defines the points well.

Titlists didn't come about to the mid 1940s.

This is a players cue...love to know the stories it could tell.

Here's one I had years ago with similar pin in butt though. Cue was 1910 to 1920. Custom cue made by European Craftsmen who immigrated to America. Brunswick had very advanced cuemskers in France in the late 1800/early 1900s.

Cues like this were pre industrialization of cuemaking.
Attached Images

Last edited by SBC; 11-07-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Old
  (#11)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Can I buy this one before you have it cut up?

I'm still physically ill about that cue with the celluloid joint

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#12)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Can I buy this one before you have it cut up?

I'm still physically ill about that cue with the celluloid joint
You're right and I'm not going to cut it.

Playing Cues:
1974 Joss
Table:

Old
  (#13)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Early 1930s cue
Wraps commonly covered the wedge on these .
Pin is absolutely original. Pins were put in shafts and butts until 1940s when they stayed in the butt of the cues.
This is not a conversion cue.

Model 26.5 cue.
The black veneers at the outermost veneer is nice, defines the points well.

Titlists didn't come about to the mid 1940s.

This is a players cue...love to know the stories it could tell.

Here's one I had years ago with similar pin in butt though. Cue was 1910 to 1920. Custom cue made by European Craftsmen who immigrated to America. Brunswick had very advanced cuemskers in France in the late 1800/early 1900s.

Cues like this were pre industrialization of cuemaking.
Wow fantastic cue! Thank you for all the great info. This cue plays great. The shaft is straight too. Was it common to have the ebony/maple shaft?

Playing Cues:
1974 Joss
Table:

Old
  (#14)
atthecat
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 11:09 AM

I'm not going to mess with this cue at all BUT I'd love to have another shaft made for it. Is this a pin cuemakers can find these days? Should I play with it?

Playing Cues:
1974 Joss
Table:

Old
  (#15)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthecat View Post
I'm not going to mess with this cue at all BUT I'd love to have another shaft made for it. Is this a pin cuemakers can find these days? Should I play with it?
Play with it? Certainly. I play with nearly all of my vintage cues, the Ebony shaft might deflect like a MOFO.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: