Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Ideas for my new basement pool room
Page 6 of 7 « First 456 7

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapus logan View Post
I will currently guess we will move in somewhere around July. Shopping for white oak flooring now. It has been proposed using #1 common white oak, but utilizing mixed size boards ranging from 3" to 5" for effect. I am liking that idea and feel that it is true to the spirit of this reimagined farmhouse. What do you guys think?
I like the idea. What made you go with white oak? I too prefer white oak for the lack of pink tones. I hear oak prices are variable between red and white, sometimes one is more than the other and vice versa. In my area white oak is more expensive.

I like the mixed board width. Decided on a stain color?

Old
  (#77)
jalapus logan
pool shooter
jalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

03-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianmacx View Post
I like the idea. What made you go with white oak? I too prefer white oak for the lack of pink tones. I hear oak prices are variable between red and white, sometimes one is more than the other and vice versa. In my area white oak is more expensive.

I like the mixed board width. Decided on a stain color?
It is my understanding that white oak is harder than red oak, though admittedly probably not too much. I'm not really drawn to the tones of the red oak personally, though many are. I'm in Lexington KY, which is bourbon country and white oak is being aquired en mass by the bourbon industry for barrels, this driving up the price. At least that is what I'm told. In any event, I like the idea of the #1 common, so it shows the more holes and other characteristics that make natural wood fun.

Oh yeah, I'm preferring no stain, allowing the wood to speak for itself. I will consult others on this though. What are the advantages of staining?

Last edited by jalapus logan; 03-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Old
  (#78)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

03-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that white oak is harder than red oak, though admittedly probably not too much. I'm not really drawn to the tones of the red oak personally, though many are. I'm in Lexington KY, which is bourbon country and white oak is being aquired en mass by the bourbon industry for barrels, this driving up the price. At least that is what I'm told. In any event, I like the idea of the #1 common, so it shows the more holes and other characteristics that make natural wood fun.
I heard the same thing about hardness. Interesting point about bourbon barrels and white oak. I am just up the street in Cincy, so prices are probably inline. Looking forward to more pics...

Ian

Old
  (#79)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member

06-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Hows the house coming?

Old
  (#80)
jalapus logan
pool shooter
jalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Hows the house coming?
Hmm...slower going now, but that's ok. White oak floors have been acclimating for the last month and the installer is scheduled to start in two weeks. I have been prepping the front entrance for me to install the natural limestone steps in the past few days. Going to install natural cleft dimensional bluestone as the surface behind the steps. Lotta work, considering I started a new job in the midst of all this. I'll post new pics as we are gearing up for the final push to get into this house. Thanks for your interest...it's been a challenge for sure!

Got stoned yesterday...
Old
  (#81)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

Got stoned yesterday... - 06-16-2019, 05:52 AM

Whew, these were heavy!
Attached Images

Old
  (#82)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

11-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Here's one coat of poly on the white oak floors as of Tuesday. Final coat goes on today.

Getting closer to the finish line fellas. I'm thinking about installing a floating cork floor in the basement for the pool room. Would be installed on concrete. Any thoughts about the cork?
Attached Images

Old
  (#83)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

11-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Here's some of the reclaimed white oak we repurposed from our barn for use as countertops/shelving etc. Gonna use one of the long 20' boards for a drink rail in the pool room...
Attached Images

Old
  (#84)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

11-07-2019, 07:58 AM

entry is moving along...laid the stones in may spare time with the missus. Still have to apply the polymer sand in the joints. Can't wait to hit some pool balls again one day...
Attached Images

Old
  (#85)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Less typing.
More working.

Hahaha. Looks really great.

Old
  (#86)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Looks great. Are those cabinets gray?

Old
  (#87)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

11-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Looks great. Are those cabinets gray?
Yessir. Two tone, light and dark gray. My wife selected colors that complimented natural woods and would not distract from our SkyView...we spent good money on some killer views

Old
  (#88)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yessir. Two tone, light and dark gray. My wife selected colors that complimented natural woods and would not distract from our SkyView...we spent good money on some killer views
They just finished construction on my house... also white oak, gray kitchen w white counters.

Old
  (#89)
jalapus logan
pool shooter

11-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
They just finished construction on my house... also white oak, gray kitchen w white counters.
Nice! Are we the start of a trend? Lol

Old
  (#90)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-09-2019, 03:51 PM

your entire house project is beautiful

your ideas so far should guarantee years of happiness
playing pool with the family

best wishes
dean

Page 6 of 7 « First 456 7

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: