Old
  (#1411)
Buzzo80
AzB Bronze Member
Buzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Gee, I am forgetful in my old age. Do I remember this right ? One guy was 300+ nights on the road, sometimes driving hundred of miles between exhibitions, giving 2 of 3 exhibitions almost daily, then one day walked into a pool room to discover the 41/2 X 9 tables were not Brunswick and had to play on a 4 x8 he had never even seen before and in front of an audience he proceeded to run 526 balls.
Then umpteen years later, some guy who slept in his own bed the night before, on a table he had previously played on hundred if not 1,00's of hours before attempting to break that record in front of a few friends, and now I am supposed to recognize him as the new record holder... REALLY
Gee next thing I know he will be claiming he hold the records of 15 world championships, held in a bar in the basement of a house on Ritchie Highway. Probably 14 in a row, instead of Willie's just 13 World Championships in a row.

Old
  (#1412)
troyboy30
Fish
troyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond reputetroyboy30 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 01:43 PM

some bitter people about a silly record

Old
  (#1413)
Buzzo80
AzB Bronze Member
Buzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzo80 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 01:46 PM

You confuse bitterness with satire.

Old
  (#1414)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Hard to tell if one is serious or not, without a or a or a .

So seriously, presuming the vid supports the claim 626 balls were pocketed. You give schmidty the record or not?

True/False js626
Old
  (#1415)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

True/False js626 - 11-08-2019, 02:06 PM

The illusory truth effect (also known as the validity effect, truth effect, or the reiteration effect) is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.[1] This phenomenon was first identified in a 1977 study at Villanova University and Temple University.[2][3] When truth is assessed, people rely on whether the information is in line with their understanding or if it feels familiar. The first condition is logical, as people compare new information with what they already know to be true. Repetition makes statements easier to process relative to new, unrepeated statements, leading people to believe that the repeated conclusion is more truthful. The illusory truth effect has also been linked to "hindsight bias", in which the recollection of confidence is skewed after the truth has been received.
In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively hearing that a certain fact is wrong can affect the hearer's beliefs.[4] Researchers attributed the illusory truth effect's impact on participants who knew the correct answer to begin with, but were persuaded to believe otherwise through the repetition of a falsehood, to "processing fluency".
The illusory truth effect plays a significant role in such fields as election campaigns, advertising, news media, and political propaganda.

Opinions are plentiful. To each his own. About twenty-five posts of the yeas/nays and 1385 repeats doesn't say much for the illusion of truth.

Old
  (#1416)
Buzzo80
AzB Bronze Member

11-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Sure , he did it , I believe him. SIDE BAR

1964, playing in a pool room in Laredo, Texas. Just got back from whorehouse in Nuevo Laredo, enroute back to San Antonio. Guy challenges me to straight pool, run to 100 for $20. Making $57 a month in USAF , so I am set to go. First rack he leaves himself straight in on the 15 th ball . I rack up 14, waiting for him to make 15th ball, then play a safe. He pockets ball. Then when cue stops he slams it into rack, then proceeds to shoot while I scream at him.
He says that's the way 14-1 is played. We get into an argument and owner comes over before we come to blows. Owner agrees with this guy and says he will prove it. Goes behind counter and brings out a book. NO, not a rule book but Guiness book of world records. Reads aloud Mosconi 526 balls, looks me dead in the eye and with a straight face says

"Are you gonna try and tell me he did it your way ? ".

No way! LOL Played by house rules and left $20 richer.

Last edited by Buzzo80; 11-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Old
  (#1417)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
The illusory truth effect (also known as the validity effect, truth effect, or the reiteration effect) is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.[1] This phenomenon was first identified in a 1977 study at Villanova University and Temple University.[2][3] When truth is assessed, people rely on whether the information is in line with their understanding or if it feels familiar. The first condition is logical, as people compare new information with what they already know to be true. Repetition makes statements easier to process relative to new, unrepeated statements, leading people to believe that the repeated conclusion is more truthful. The illusory truth effect has also been linked to "hindsight bias", in which the recollection of confidence is skewed after the truth has been received.
In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively hearing that a certain fact is wrong can affect the hearer's beliefs.[4] Researchers attributed the illusory truth effect's impact on participants who knew the correct answer to begin with, but were persuaded to believe otherwise through the repetition of a falsehood, to "processing fluency".
The illusory truth effect plays a significant role in such fields as election campaigns, advertising, news media, and political propaganda.

Opinions are plentiful. To each his own. About twenty-five posts of the yeas/nays and 1385 repeats doesn't say much for the illusion of truth.
No fair...to commit literary theft

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#1418)
Philthepockets
AzB Silver Member
Philthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond reputePhilthepockets has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I think he was just banging balls around waiting for his take out order to be ready.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Oh I though he just did not know the rules.

4.3 Opening Break Shot

The following rules apply to the opening break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail
after the cue ball contacts the rack or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.)
This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breakerís score. (See 4.10 Breaking
Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to
play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or
the non-shooting player accepts the table in position. (See 4.11 Serious Fouls)

" Reduce expectations to avoid disappointment"

Old
  (#1419)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

11-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Danny, do you ever get confused as to which account you're on or do the squirrel monkey hawks floating above the fields of your wrath or however you said it keep all in a row like moose?

Old
  (#1420)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
No fair...to commit literary theft
Sorta,kinda like js626 equating to legal 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous world record. Nahhhh!

Today
Old
  (#1421)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member

Today - 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
Danny, do you ever get confused as to which account you're on or do the squirrel monkey hawks floating above the fields of your wrath or however you said it keep all in a row like moose?
It's really very easy with these gullible pool playa's and it's ducks in a row, ducks in a row.

Old
  (#1422)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthepockets View Post

4.3 Opening Break Shot

(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail
after the cue ball contacts the rack or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.)
This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breakerís score. (See 4.10 Breaking
Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to
play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or
Hereís another DCC straight pool run...these are the same conditions JS ran 626...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY

...are you saying none of these runs have value?

I honor Darren Appletonís 200 run the most...he did it in a competitive match...
...a championship, no less.

Willieís 526 was done in an exhibition...
..Johnís run was done under DCC challenge conditions.

Seems to me some of you people have a ďglass is half emptyĒ problem.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#1423)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
Sorta,kinda like js626 equating to legal 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous world record. Nahhhh!
You had me at Sorta, kinda

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#1424)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Sidebar, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo80 View Post
Sure , he did it , I believe him. SIDE BAR

1964, playing in a pool room in Laredo, Texas. Just got back from whorehouse in Nuevo Laredo, enroute back to San Antonio. Guy challenges me to straight pool, run to 100 for $20. Making $57 a month in USAF , so I am set to go. First rack he leaves himself straight in on the 15 th ball . I rack up 14, waiting for him to make 15th ball, then play a safe. He pockets ball. Then when cue stops he slams it into rack, then proceeds to shoot while I scream at him.
He says that's the way 14-1 is played. We get into an argument and owner comes over before we come to blows. Owner agrees with this guy and says he will prove it. Goes behind counter and brings out a book. NO, not a rule book but Guiness book of world records. Reads aloud Mosconi 526 balls, looks me dead in the eye and with a straight face says

"Are you gonna try and tell me he did it your way ? ".

No way! LOL Played by house rules and left $20 richer.

Old
  (#1425)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthepockets View Post

4.3 Opening Break Shot

Mosconi 526 started mid-rack in an exhibition match and extended into some sort of hard to categorize "just kept shooting after the match was over" mode...but so what? 526 in a row or 626 in a row or 100 in a row involves multiple breaks. If your going to bring something up, pick something that is different about the runs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by logical; 11-08-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Page 95 of 97 « First 4585939495 9697

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: