Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page SOTD ~ Sound of the Day
Page 57 of 57 « First 747555657

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#841)
Non Smoker
AzB Silver Member
Non Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
Over the years there has been a number of songs that just blew my mind in one way or another......

Mozart Requiem - such a beautiful music from a troubled mind written on his deathbed and finished by others as he was unceremoniously dumped in an unmarked grave for poor people

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - This was around mid 80's and in my school we had a pretty cool teacher. We had a double-class of music and every 2 weeks or so some 5 students were chosen to bring a single song of their liking to the class on tape...they would get played and then the class got to give them points and short reasoning why. This one girl brought this and I heard for the first time in my life something that was just sooo off the wall and genius. Still one of my favourite songs of all time

Last but not least.....there's this band from Finland that not many people know but sold some 9m records by now so in their own circles they are pretty well known

Nightwish - they basically launched a completely new genre that might be described as Symphonic Metal. With their original lead-singer Tarja Turunen, who was a classically trained opera singer, they broke through around 96 or 97 and caused quite a stir. Somewhere around 2004 or so there was a rift between the band, brainchild of the keyboard player Tuomas Holopainen, and their lead-singer. Some say it was caused largely by her husband/manager but in the end they parted ways. Nightwish then went for a brief period with a swedish singer Annette Olson until landing jackpot with a dutch singer Floor Jansen. Well versed with operatic style but rough enough to belt out the rocky parts with such strength it has left people dropping their jaws for years now.

Now I have three songs from Nightwish that are my favorites....each have their backstories and progress in complexity...so I put them up here in order that are probably the easiest to listen to.....beware...they are long...but trust me, you won't be bored! So here comes....the "easiest" first and if you make it to the end, kudos to you. So kick back....put your favorite headphones on and crank it up to 11 and let it rip!

Ghost Love Score - This song is the one of the three that is closest to "standard rock" that you probably will get from them...but it is still a far cry from being a standard. This is a recording from Wacken (Heavy Metal Rock Festival in Germany) with some 80,000 people in the audience and they belt it out with such precision and with killer-sound it is just mind-boggling.

Greatest Show on Earth - This is already a lot more complex song. Basically it is a complete history of our universe and mankind in one song. They paint such a magnificent soundscape around it all and mix it with texts read by Richard Dawkins. Synchronized with fireworks as well as it is a live recording from a festival in Tampere Finland.

Poet and the Pendulum - Last but not least.....well this is the song that inspired me to think about all of these songs and to write about them here. This is some heavy shit and I do not blame you if you do not make it this far. Written around the time when the first singer left the band, well was basically fired by Tuomas....and he was quite depressed and in a very dark place. In one interview he states "I kill myself in this song so I would not have to in real life". I've seen people reduced to tears when listening to this and I have to admit it still gives me goosepumps listening to it.

I'd love to know what you guys think of all of these? I will be actually attending Nightwish concert live next year so I am already now quite excited about it!

Cheers,
Kimmo

I couldn't agree more. I stumbled across nightwish around 2010 and have been a fan since. Poet and the Pendulum is great but one of my favorites is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjmjkKjXo8

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.

You don't need drugs to enjoy Pink Floyd, you need Pink Floyd to enjoy drugs

Every once in a while, I need to be serenaded by a 7 foot clown.

Old
  (#842)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
11-11-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Smoker View Post
I couldn't agree more. I stumbled across nightwish around 2010 and have been a fan since. Poet and the Pendulum is great but one of my favorites is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjmjkKjXo8
that is the original singer Tarja Turunen....with the classical training....
to be totally honest, I like the new Floor Jansen better....she is perhaps not as strong as Tarja with operatic voice but she just kicks as with the rock-voice....and her range is just amazing..

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Underworld - BIRD 1 ( 10/2010 )
Old
  (#843)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Arrow Underworld - BIRD 1 ( 10/2010 ) - 11-15-2019, 06:40 PM

https://youtu.be/RR98qq9iHmw

Old
  (#844)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 03:39 AM

Jack White, Ricky Scaggs, and Ashley Monroe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qahZ-whM6o

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Old
  (#845)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Mantra - Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, Trent Reznor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kGNdE0b5Q

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Old
  (#846)
Non Smoker
AzB Silver Member
Non Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond reputeNon Smoker has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2019, 06:05 AM

Stairway to Heaven in a Church?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ua...U9SP8&index=12

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.

Old
  (#847)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Stumbled upon this gentleman in my YouTube recommended views.

Clicked on this link and was hooked. Even the description on the clip made me chuckle.

"In a quiet room at a loud party"

Enjoy - When I did some digging into who it was later I was blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFEZOjtrwls

Old
  (#848)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Figured we have a funny pic thread, a joke thread and a million and one aiming threads but no real music threads.

I'm proposing SOTD, where a person can post * one * youtube link a day and share music they think others might not have been exposed to yet.

I'll start the ball rolling..
This is Black Country Communion. ~ Song of Yesterday ~ I can't get enough of these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZkyFDqlW8
No music today. Only noxious narrative and head banging.

Old
  (#849)
rramsey0011
AzB Silver Member
rramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond reputerramsey0011 has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Great collaboration!
Sound City Soundtrack (feat. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, et al) - From Can to Can't

https://youtu.be/n75NvVHQV4M

Old
  (#850)
softshot
Simplify

12-03-2019, 10:21 PM

the Raconteurs.... now that you're gone....++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQB1-VUmDM

Old
  (#851)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

Wink 12-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareDogs View Post
Stumbled upon this gentleman in my YouTube recommended views.

Clicked on this link and was hooked. Even the description on the clip made me chuckle.

"In a quiet room at a loud party"

Enjoy - When I did some digging into who it was later I was blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFEZOjtrwls
He does alright for a kid. Great video.

Old
  (#852)
softshot
Simplify

12-04-2019, 12:38 AM

o'course there's Kentucky....and gold..... and banded clovis... you can't hold a girl with a fistfull of shovel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwmbI4_rmgg

Old
  (#853)
softshot
Simplify

12-04-2019, 02:27 AM

I don't care about the rules Josh Homme wins.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2I2Asx8lqs

Old
  (#854)
Non Smoker
AzB Silver Member

12-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Small Town Titans. Crank it up and watch the rocking world go round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1oVqfmq34

Steve Winwood , Eric Clapton - COCAINE
Old
  (#855)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Arrow Steve Winwood , Eric Clapton - COCAINE - Yesterday, 05:14 PM

https://youtu.be/DVl-oXi-TpY

I'm sure I played this link several pages back, but ..

Page 57 of 57 « First 747555657

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: