Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page International 9-Ball Open for 2020
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
lou the greek
AzB Silver Member
lou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Pat,I like the changes a lot especially the Eurotour format which has been very successful,I.M.O the lower entry should fill the field, well done.

Old
  (#17)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

11-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
Missing 2020 too. Not missing Halloween with my kids. I was hoping this event would be a yearly event for me that replaced the USOpen. Family first. Hoping for 2021.
Amen, brother. I'll be skipping the Mosconi Cup this year because giving up Thanksgiving with my family is too big a price to pay to attend. Family first indeed.

Old
  (#18)
patscue
AzB Bronze Member
patscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond reputepatscue has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAtHeart View Post
Hopefully no 2ball at the back.

Let's have 7 randomly racked balls instead of 6.

This event attracts the elite players. Let's make them work harder for their 'break and run outs'

Look at this years event. As they knew the 2ball was being racked at the back every time, they were trying to make the 1ball and control the 2ball near the side pocket.
And alot were very successful!

I've never understood why the 2ball is racked at the back.

Would someone care to enlighten me.

Rant over.
Thanks
The 2-ball will not be racked in the back. It will be placed in the row behind the 9-ball.

Pat Fleming

Old
  (#19)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Why don't you just make it Ten Ball and be done with it. We could use a good Ten Ball event in this country with some decent added money. It would also make it more attractive to the better players. Just shorten the Races to Nine and the scheduling can remain the same.

160 players at 500 each is $80,000. Add $50,000 and you have a $130,000 purse. You could pay 48 spots and still keep 30K on top.
With neutral rackers, nine on the spot, and alternate break, nine ball isn't broken at all, and that's just what we get at the International. As we just saw a few weeks ago in an electrifying display of world championship level pool, four of the WPA top seven ranked players finished tied for 5th or better. As a professional pool product, the International is, in my view, making the grade.

Old
  (#20)
Mich
AzB Silver Member
Mich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond reputeMich has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Amen, brother. I'll be skipping the Mosconi Cup this year because giving up Thanksgiving with my family is too big a price to pay to attend. Family first indeed.
Amen Brother! The International is fantastic! Kudos to Pat and Team Accu-Stats for putting on a world class tournament every year.

Old
  (#21)
Danimal
AzB Silver Member
Danimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
With neutral rackers, nine on the spot, and alternate break, nine ball isn't broken at all, and that's just what we get at the International. As we just saw a few weeks ago in an electrifying display of world championship level pool, four of the WPA top seven ranked players finished tied for 5th or better. As a professional pool product, the International is, in my view, making the grade.
Stu you are spot on as usual, except for the fact that the International is a winner beak format. We would have missed out on some of those marvelous comebacks last month had it have been alternate break!

Old
  (#22)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 10:25 AM

After the Turning Stone, this is the best 9 ball tournament in the country right now. Hopefully the $500 entry gets even more players in.

Will there be a break box?

Old
  (#23)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

11-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Stu you are spot on as usual, except for the fact that the International is a winner beak format. We would have missed out on some of those marvelous comebacks last month had it have been alternate break!
Yes, you are correct, but in Post #1, Pat Fleming announced a switch to alternate break for 2020, and I was incorporating that change in to my comments.

Old
  (#24)
BryanB
Huge Balls
BryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-18-2019, 10:49 AM

I'm in ...sign me up...

Bryan
USAF Retired 1988-2009

Playing cue: Doug Patrick
Jump: Caveman Cues (Ruben Silva) https://m.facebook.com/Caveman-Custo...7541689443979/

ACS Level 2 Instructor
OB Cues - Dealer & Player representative
Magic Chalk Dealer

Old
  (#25)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
CSI and Predator do have the World 10-ball now, to coincide with BCA league championships in Vegas. It will be in March next year, so in 4 months.
I know very well about that event. It's a good event but small money compared to the International. There is no reason it couldn't be the International Ten Ball Open!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#26)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:03 AM

Gonna miss ‘winner break’....I like everything else about this contest.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Stu, I agree that the International is a great addition to the roster of pro tournaments held in this country, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! What's wrong with a field of 100 of the best players in the world, unless you are just trying to get more players to fill more hotel rooms. The purse of nearly $150K isn't too shabby either.

Lastly, spectators like seeing players string racks. That's exciting! Switching to alternate breaks is a mistake imo. If one player puts together a four or five pack that pressures his opponent to do the same, or better. That's when you see the best pool being played. Note that this year playing winner breaks the top players excelled, with the cream rising to the top near the end. Alternate break will change nothing, except to give lesser players a chance to win more games. Boring! Or did I say that already.

JMHO as always. It's not my show, so Pat can do it anyway he wants. I know from experience what it takes to put on events like this and it's no easy task. I hate to see him feel like he has to keep fiddling with the rules. People like to watch great pool being played regardless of the rules at any particular event. Just look at the MC with it's super short races and alternate break (that's probably a good thing there). It can be crazy exciting at that event, with every game being so important to the final outcome.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#28)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

11-18-2019, 11:31 AM

I see nothing wrong with some rule tweeking. If anything, this might help the Int'l Open differentiate itself more, as the new major on US soil.

Pat's been at this stuff for a while, I'm sure this was not a snap decision to make changes.

Eric

Old
  (#29)
Danimal
AzB Silver Member
Danimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Stu, I agree that the International is a great addition to the roster of pro tournaments held in this country, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! What's wrong with a field of 100 of the best players in the world, unless you are just trying to get more players to fill more hotel rooms. The purse of nearly $150K isn't too shabby either.

Lastly, spectators like seeing players string racks. That's exciting! Switching to alternate breaks is a mistake imo. If one player puts together a four or five pack that pressures his opponent to do the same, or better. That's when you see the best pool being played. Note that this year playing winner breaks the top players excelled, with the cream rising to the top near the end. Alternate break will change nothing, except to give lesser players a chance to win more games. Boring! Or did I say that already.

JMHO as always. It's not my show, so Pat can do it anyway he wants. I know from experience what it takes to put on events like this and it's no easy task. I hate to see him feel like he has to keep fiddling with the rules. People like to watch great pool being played regardless of the rules at any particular event. Just look at the MC with it's super short races and alternate break (that's probably a good thing there). It can be crazy exciting at that event, with every game being so important to the final outcome.
So true.

The most scintillating match from the 2019 International was Shane and Lechner's match on the winner's side, when Max opened the match with a huge package and accrued a 9-0 lead, only to see SVB fight and claw back to 9-9.

The match eventually went hill-hill, and the whole arena was completely enraptured in watching the epic comeback! Even the TV table was overshadowed as everyone wanted to see the outcome. At the end of the match, Max Lechner single-handedly went from a nobody to a household name. A classic match that would have been forgone had it been alternate break.

In recent years, there have been great comebacks on the TV table such as Shaw beating Big Ko after being down 10-4. He did it twice, in 2017 and 2018, each time coming from behind in epic fashion. The crowd in those matches was completely electric, stomping their feet and cheering! Another great TV match from a few years ago was when Sky was down 10-6 to Imran Majid, and proceeded to run 5 and out to take the set. All of these memorable matches couldn't have happened without winner breaks.

I've remembered all these moments over the years, and they only could've occurred with a winner break format. I understand alternate break is "fairer" for the players, and maybe more "worth it" for players that have to travel and pay expenses to play in the International. However, concerning all the international and overseas events utilizing the equitable alternate break format, as a spectator of those events I have found those matches to be forgettable and ultimately boring.

Old
  (#30)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it but as usual I will get the stream,
This years streamed matches were great and I spent the whole week watching pool and following action on AZ.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: