Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Hubert L. "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes in jail 1964 newspaper clipping
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old
  (#31)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-15-2019, 05:45 PM

I like those Swagger novels by Hunter including this one

there used to be a little more colorful characters than we see today

then again i used to get out of the house

Old
  (#32)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
I like those Swagger novels by Hunter including this one

there used to be a little more colorful characters than we see today

then again i used to get out of the house
I read all the Hunter novels....today we got Jack Reacher

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

beautiful place!
Old
  (#33)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

beautiful place! - 11-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephawk View Post
Not pool related, but pretty damn good novel called Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter is set in post-WWII Hot Springs - pretty entertaining read (precursor to the one about the sniper they later made a movie about) and made me more interested in learning about that place/era when I read the book on a vacation many years ago.

Hot Springs and the surrounding area is beautiful! The mountains are more like tree covered hills and tend to be softly rounded, much older than the comparatively "new" mountains out west. Lake Ouachita offers 40,000 acres of clear, clean water surrounded by the scenic Ouachita National Forest forty-five minutes away. The land around it being national forest means there is very little build-up on the shores and you can enjoy the unspoiled scenery. The water near the dam stays at about thirty-five degrees year around. A dip will cool you off in a hurry!

I first visited Hot Springs on a family vacation when my age was still in single digits I believe. Dad's friend was a guide on the lake and had a fourteen foot very narrow Skeeter bass boat with a huge forty horse engine on it. About the size of a bathtub to hold two men and a boy. A forty thousand acre lake can get very choppy sometimes but we caught lots of bass, including schooling bass in the afternoons.

The tourism seems to have died down in Hot Springs which is all to the good. The springs are still there, as are some bath houses. Some bath houses are family oriented now, some I am not too sure about. Prostitution was one of the "features" of Hot Springs in the not too distant past.

I once dreamed of living in or near Hot Springs. Never happened but I have made a half-dozen or so trips there. Genuinely nice people for the most part and a nice climate.

Apologies for the slight thread detour. I have to talk up Hot Springs when I get a chance. Catman and Country Calvin live in or near Arkadelphia, in maybe even more beautiful country than Hot Springs but without the springs or tourism in bygone days. An hour or two away from Hot Springs best I recall. It has been twenty to thirty years since I have been that way. The four corners area and the nation's backbone have got my attention now. When I need some fresh air the southwest and west have extremely powerful pulls too!

Hu

Old
  (#34)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 07:36 PM

If I recall correctly, I was told that Cokes played a big role in the up and coming career of a young guy from the Owensboro area by the name of Nick Varner.

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Old
  (#35)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Started to post earlier but wasn't absolutely sure it was Cokes. The police shook everybody down in a place and collected a lot of hardware. They were surprised to find three pistols on Cokes. He explained he carried lots of cash in bad places! Best I recall they gave him the pistols back.

Hu
Happened at Johnston City once but it was the FBI and I doubt they have anybody's gun back although they did collect quite a few which had been discarded as soon as the FBI walked in.

Old
  (#36)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-15-2019, 07:59 PM

what a beautiful description of hot springs

makes me want to buy some beautiful land with forest and running water

Louie Harper and I made a trip that took us through there back in 1973

we returned in a 2002 model bmw car and very little cash

but we were young and still having fun just being out on the road
and free

we didn't find the area to be wide open like the stories and we
came home without any stories,but as i say we were young and we were free

Old
  (#37)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 05:01 AM

I seem to recall Billy Incardona saying on one of the Accu-stats tapes that Buddy Hall learned one pocket from Cokes or was it Nick Varner. I have to find that tape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#38)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamon View Post
I seem to recall Billy Incardona saying on one of the Accu-stats tapes that Buddy Hall learned one pocket from Cokes or was it Nick Varner. I have to find that tape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was Nick Varner. He spent a lot of time with Hubert as a young man. Nick's father and Cokes were old friends.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#39)
Baby Huey
AzB Silver Member
Baby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond reputeBaby Huey has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:11 AM

I went to and All Around Event in Long Beach at the old Lafayette Hotel promoted by Charlie (Tennessee) Miliken. This was around 1967 and saw Daddy Warbucks for the first time. He was immaculately dressed and had that cigar in his mouth constantly. Everybody was around him trying to get him down in a pool match. But he just waited them out and I only saw him play one time and his game was good but not great. Those Sharkskin Suits with Silk Shirts and a Bowtie sure looked good on Mr. Cokes. He reeked of money and swagger. A nice combination back then.........maybe even today.

Old
  (#40)
billiardshot
AzB Silver Member
billiardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:37 AM

With H.L. Cokes history, you wonder why no one have wrote a book on him?

You Wonder what connection Ray Ryan, a flamboyant businessman who made millions off oil right here in the tri-state, and Cokes Have?

https://44news.wevv.com/cold-case-mo...e-car-bombing/

Mob Murder of America's Greatest Gambler (Paperback)
by Herbert Marynell, Steve Bagbey

https://www.amazon.com/Mob-Murder-Am...der_1479336149

Just Let It Go!!

Old
  (#41)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
I went to and All Around Event in Long Beach at the old Lafayette Hotel promoted by Charlie (Tennessee) Miliken. This was around 1967 and saw Daddy Warbucks for the first time. He was immaculately dressed and had that cigar in his mouth constantly. Everybody was around him trying to get him down in a pool match. But he just waited them out and I only saw him play one time and his game was good but not great. Those Sharkskin Suits with Silk Shirts and a Bowtie sure looked good on Mr. Cokes. He reeked of money and swagger. A nice combination back then.........maybe even today.
I watched Ronnie give Grady 9-6 there and torture him. And when the Jockey got beat by Danny Jones he cried like a baby. Don Watson sat on his butt for days and never picked up a cue. Then they called him to play some 9-Ball with a straight shooting young Eddie "The Hat" Burton. Don just grabbed a cue and stuffed his racing form in his back pocket and mowed poor Eddie down. It was like he never missed a beat and pool was the easiest thing in the world for him. Some things you never forget.

Old
  (#42)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

11-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardshot View Post
With H.L. Cokes history, you wonder why no one have wrote a book on him?

You Wonder what connection Ray Ryan, a flamboyant businessman who made millions off oil right here in the tri-state, and Cokes Have?

https://44news.wevv.com/cold-case-mo...e-car-bombing/

Mob Murder of America's Greatest Gambler (Paperback)
by Herbert Marynell, Steve Bagbey

https://www.amazon.com/Mob-Murder-Am...der_1479336149
My dad knew Ray Ryan, possibly from New York. I remember him stopping to visit us in Dayton on his way back and forth to New York. He would come in for a day or two and take us all out to dinner. Probably the only person I ever saw buy dinner for us instead of my dad. He was obviously wealthy, at least to my uneducated eyes as a young boy. He was always very nice to me and my siblings. I liked him and he only came by a few times over the years.

After I moved away from Dayton my father never mentioned Ray Ryan again. Now I know why. He was dead! Killed in a very nasty way. My father also liked to gamble and made more than one excursion to Vegas with his buddies. Seems like they did that on an annual basis, the long trek from Dayton to Nevada. I do know he also gambled at the famous Beverly Hills Club across the river from Cincinnati (it burned down decades ago, many people losing their lives in the blaze). I only saw my father play Poker at our house in a weekly game that rotated from house to house and attracted some of the more wealthy business people in Dayton. My dad was a doctor but he was a good Seven Card Stud player as well! I watched him rake in a few big pots full of tens and twenties.

Last edited by jay helfert; 11-18-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Old
  (#43)
billiardshot
AzB Silver Member
billiardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Some more insight on Ray

http://www.evansvilleliving.com/arti...cheating-heart

Just Let It Go!!

I remember those bills,Billy
Old
  (#44)
jackpot
AzB Silver Member
jackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those bills,Billy - 11-18-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Dean,

As you know I spent a lot of time around Ty. I learned a lot talking with him and watching him work on suckers. He was a master.

Speaking of money: I remember walking into the Cotton Palace with a $10,000.00 bill, a $5000.00 bill and numerous $1000.00 and $500.00 bills in my pocket.

Had to go to the bank to get the big bills in those days. No questions asked.

Bill Stroud
I remember when you had those big bills at the Cotton Bowling Palace. So many
people have the image of a pool player (aka Pool Hustler) totally wrong. They weren't
sleazy guys trying to steal your last dime to get a fix. That's all TV Bull S---..They
dressed sharp, drove nice cars (Billy Stroud had a Corvette and XKE at the SAME TIME) tipped 40% at the least and were very generous. I went to Johnston City
when was 16 and saw all those guys I had heard about. If you went there a young
kid and left not wanting to be a pool player, you needed to have your head
examined.
jack

Old
  (#45)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpot View Post

If you went there a young kid and left not wanting to be a pool player, you needed to have your head examined.
jack
Jackpot,

Did you know Jack Taylor, Alfie's brother?

If so, I want to hear some storied about him.

I ran across him as a teen while I was working in a pool hall.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: