Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Frozen to the Cushion or not?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Frozen to the Cushion or not?
Old
  (#1)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Frozen to the Cushion or not? - 11-18-2019, 01:24 PM

By the rules, is an object ball deemed to be frozen to a cushion if it is so close that it appears it might possibly be deemed to be in contact with the outer fuzz/nap of the cloth textures, even if itís not fully and clearly frozen on the rail? This came up yesterday in one of our big tournaments, where I was called in to make a ruling, and as hard and close as I looked, it was still very hard to determine. I ruled it was frozen, since it looked to me like it might have been barely touching some of the outer fibers of the rail cloth.

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Fibers touching = frozen.

Old
  (#3)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-18-2019, 01:37 PM

I think it's probably a total judgement call. For me when I make that call I look to see if I
can see light between the ball and the cushion Like I'm sure most people do.
Touching a fiber or two isn't always definitive because the fibers aren't uniform, but I believe
it's a judgement call. Sometimes you might meet with some disagreement

Old
  (#4)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
I think it's probably a total judgement call. For me when I make that call I look to see if I
can see light between the ball and the cushion Like I'm sure most people do.
Touching a fiber or two isn't always definitive because the fibers aren't uniform, but I believe
it's a judgement call. Sometimes you might meet with some disagreement
No judgement in effective gameplay rules.

Fibers touching? Frozed!

Old
  (#5)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 01:46 PM

My call.....if you could move the ball closer to the cushion....itís not froze.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

11-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
My call.....if you could move the ball closer to the cushion....itís not froze.
Foul!!!!

The cushion surface is comprised of cloth.

The cloth is comprised of fibers.

No moving balls. Foul!!!

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
By the rules, is an object ball deemed to be frozen to a cushion if it is so close that it appears it might possibly be deemed to be in contact with the outer fuzz/nap of the cloth textures, even if it’s not fully and clearly frozen on the rail? This came up yesterday in one of our big tournaments, where I was called in to make a ruling, and as hard and close as I looked, it was still very hard to determine. I ruled it was frozen, since it looked to me like it might have been barely touching some of the outer fibers of the rail cloth.
There was a post about this before, the general agreement was that it's not frozen if some fibers are touching the ball but there is still a gap between the edge and the actual rail. If a bullet hits your hair but does not actually hit the skin, you are not shot, you were "almost shot". The ball is "almost" frozen.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#8)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
There was a post about this before, the general agreement was that it's not frozen if some fibers are touching the ball but there is still a gap between the edge and the actual rail. If a bullet hits your hair but does not actually hit the skin, you are not shot, you were "almost shot". The ball is "almost" frozen.
Thats how I play it.
Put a cigarette under the rail next to the ball, if
you see white, the ball is not frozen.

Old
  (#9)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Place a white paper between the ball and the rail.
You see white from above? Not frozen.

Old
  (#10)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

11-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
I don't like it.

What is the measure of touching a rail necessary for the ball to be frozen, then?

Obviously, 1 is not...how about 2?

Old
  (#11)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
Thats how I play it.
Yeah, I tried that and damn near burnt the house down.

Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter

Old
  (#12)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
Thats how I play it.
Yah. A smoke and a flashlight from someone phone when necessary can really illuminate the situation

Old
  (#13)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

11-18-2019, 04:56 PM

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Old
  (#14)
slop stroke
I drink, theyfore I ain't
slop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 05:32 PM

I was told (heresay I tell ya) that Johnny Archer once said "the balls were touchin but just not quite frozen."

I learned about this rule 20 years ago from a BCA instructor, and his counsel has never failed me: if rail fibers are touching the ball then the ball is frozen. BTW - light will shine through -- if the light is bright enough - it's a refraction kind of thing. Some cases will have more fibers touching vs. others. YMMV.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brotherís eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Old
  (#15)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Yah. A smoke and a flashlight from someone phone when necessary can really illuminate the situation
Use an IPhone, snap a picture, and maximize the photo.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: