Reload this Page Speaking of Mosconi Cup
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Speaking of Mosconi Cup
Old
  (#1)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Speaking of Mosconi Cup - 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM

It was a notable gesture for a non-American entity to name the event after an American pool icon. After all, he was indeed, a magnificent player. Some folks seem to forget, and some simply never knew, how strong of a shooter the man really was.

So here's a little blast from the past, about a somewhat unknown professional named Willie. And a few examples of Willie being Willie - someone who could spit out 100+ runs like he was falling out of bed.

How about a 309 run on a 10 foot table

And this just a sample....

November 13, 1940
Mosconi Beats Lauri Twice
Willie won two blocks of his pocket billiard match with Onofrio Lauri...
..he triumphed, 125 to 13 in four innings, with an unfinished high run of 99.

January 11, 1941
MOSCONI DEFEATS CARAS
Willie Mosconi, who holds a commanding lead on the field, beat Jimmy Caras ... In his second game had a high run of 101, the fourth time since the beginning of the tournament..

February 12, 1941
MOSCONI DOWNS PROCITA
Willie Mosconi, leader in the race for the world pocket billiard championship...
....with a high run of 113, won in the afternoon, 125 to 21

February 24, 1941
MOSCONI INCREASES LEAD
Defeats Kelly Twice in World Pocket ... had high runs of 59 and 112

May 2, 1941
Mosconi Triumphs Twice
... high runs were 115 and 51 for the winner and 21 and 71 for Lauri .

February 24, 1945
MOSCONI TAKES 2 BLOCKS
Wins, 125-0, and 125-27, in Title Cue Match With Greenleaf

February 16, 1946
MOSCONI HAS RUN OF 102
Sets Record for Cue Match With Caras as He Divides 2 Blocks

March 18, 1946
MOSCONI INCREASES LEAD
( P)- Champion Willie Mosconi increased his lead over Caras..
The champion, who had a high run of 111 against Caras' best effort of 37, now leads ...

December 10, 1946
MOSCONI TIES CUE MARK
Tops Cranfield, 125 to 1, in Two Innings
the champion ran 125 and out for the longest run

May 15, 1947
Has High Run of 139 in Defeating Crane in Title Cue Series
CHICAGO, May 14 (IIP)-A high run of 139 helped Willie Mosconi, the challenger, win the ninth and tenth blocks of his world championship ...

November 13, 1947
MOSCONI KEEPS CUE TITLE; Beats Caras in Pocket Billiards
UP)...Caras registered the highest run of the series-121, while Mosconi'a high was 107

1950 - 10 FOOT TABLE NO LONGER STANDARD FOR PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION

January 13, 1951
Mosconi, Crane
PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 12 (UP)
-An unfinished high run of 107 tonight enabled the world pocket billiard champion, Willie Mosconi, to defeat Irving Crane, 150-38, ...

January 16, 1951
Mosconi Leads in Title Play
(UPI- Willie Mosconi held an 1800 to-1341 lead over Irving Crane of Binghamton, ny, tonight..... ... The champion had a high run of 104 in the afternoon.

January 22, 1952
Mosconi and Crane Divide
Willie Mosconi, world champion, and Irving Crane divided the first two blocks of their 1800-point exhibition ... In the first block, Mosconi had a high run of 114.

January 23, 1952
Mosconi Leads In Billiards
Willie Mosconi, world champion, beat Irving Crane twice yesterday....
.....won the afternoon match, 150--33, in six innings, with a high run of 101 .

May 1, 1952
Mosconi Sweeps Cue Match
Willie Mosconi, world champion, triumphed twice yesterday to complete a sweep...
.....high runs were 105 and 124 unfinished

November 11, 1952
Mosconi Beats Lauri Twice
Willie Mosconi, world champion, won the first two blocks of 1000-point exhibition
The titleholder's run of 123 at night was high for both blocks.

April 5, 1956
MOSCONI VICTOR, 150 - 0
Beats Eufemia in World Cue Tourney

December 21, 1960
MOSCONI BEATS LAURI
Willie Mosconi of Philadelphia clinched his 900-point match with Onofrio ...
... high runs of 39 and 122, with Lauri having clusters of 30 and 16.

Mosconi & the 8ft Table.
Old
  (#2)
Dunnn51
Wait for something good
Dunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond reputeDunnn51 has a reputation beyond repute

Mosconi & the 8ft Table. - 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Some say that had Mosconi to play on a Diamond table nowadays; he would score less than his legendary 526. I have seen him play once in my lifetime,(in exhibition,) and it never entered my mind for A SECOND that the man needed a 5 inch pocket to make that run. Watch his vids,..... he hits center pocket consistently.

" If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 sharpening my axe" ~~~ Abraham Lincoln

The memories of a man in his old-age, are the deeds of a man in his prime. ~~~ Pink Floyd.

Old
  (#3)
westcoast
AzB Silver Member
westcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 11:49 AM

I don't know what it is, but it seems that in every sport people degrade champions from the past saying they would get their clocks cleaned by the current players. I'm not saying the current players in many sports today aren't great, I just don't understand why people like to insult players of yesteryear when they are singing the praises of the current generation.

Old
  (#4)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 11:59 AM

John Schmidt could beat Mosconi's record - he just doesn't feel like it.

Old
  (#5)
mmktierney
AzB Silver Member
mmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond reputemmktierney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 0

08-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Thanks, great post. I saw him in at least 15 exhibition matches....he never failed to run at least 100 in the live matches that I was so fortunate to see.

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Who cares how many Willie would have run?

What made him special was his ability to beat all comers in any order year after year after year, and he'd have done so regardless of the equipment.

Greatness is measured in titles, and Willie mass-produced them more than any other player.

Mosconi Team members should allow themselves to be inspired by Willie's track record against the most elite of his day.

Good luck to all Mosconi team members in 2014.

Old
  (#7)
poolfitkids
AzB Silver Member
poolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond reputepoolfitkids has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Very nice post.

your his puppet
Old
  (#8)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

your his puppet - 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
John Schmidt could beat Mosconi's record - he just doesn't feel like it.
Exactly he could get a table like there in Virginia where he ran the 400. Of course the slate at the pockets was like a downward slide. I guess it's about image for some and talent for others, but I inspected that table he ran his 400 on. The great Mosconi might have run 1000 balls on that particular table. I thought since were putting Schmidt on a pedastle and comparing table conditions of today vs yesterday we might as well tell the truth. I practice only on tables that are not doctored to play easy or phoney. So John just followed suite and picked a table like Mosconi 4x8 only with sanded slate pockets and made his little mark. If anyone has never played on a table where the slate has been sanded at the pocket - the trick is on a tough shot just shoot easy and the pocket will play like a 7" vaccum. One question for John - how did picking on me work out for you Mr. 400? If I surpass Mosconi's record it will be on a 9' table with ordinary pockets, the table i use will not have been altered in any way to play easier. Jay and Fatboy are welcome to come and inspect the table the same day I capture the run on camera.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 09-05-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Old
  (#9)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Lions and tigers and bears oh my.
Danny gonna shake the trees and rake the leaves.

By the way Mr. Harriman, since you're here, what's your opinion on the 'value' of holding the high run record?

Some like myself, think it would be epic to hold that record.
(And we would happily set a new record if only we could)
Others say its a waste of effort, and means very little, and allegedly that's why its never been done (officially).

Old
  (#10)
parvus1202
AzB Silver Member
parvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond reputeparvus1202 has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Willie vs Caras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCdJ08_M3Y

JYDGREAT

Old
  (#11)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bond View Post
Lions and tigers and bears oh my.
Danny gonna shake the trees and rake the leaves.

By the way Mr. Harriman, since you're here, what's your opinion on the 'value' of holding the high run record?

Some like myself, think it would be epic to hold that record.
(And we would happily set a new record if only we could)
Others say its a waste of effort, and means very little, and allegedly that's why its never been done (officially).

Oh, Mr. Bond,

Your thread is shaken, not stirred Here's a toast to the Great Moscoini

Old
  (#12)
Busboy
Wanna Play Some?
Busboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2014, 02:19 PM

what a great read from the past thanks for sharing

Player - Predator
Jump - Custom
Break- Bunji

"Billiards is the well developed art of thinking ahead. Its not only a game, but first and foremost a demanding sport, which requires good stamina, the logical thinking of a chess player, and the stable hand of a concert pianist."

Old
  (#13)
leto1776
AzB Silver Member
leto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond reputeleto1776 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-05-2014, 02:53 PM

Thank you for a great read, Mr. Bond.

Chuck Stephenson
Joss fan

Those who can, do. Those who can't "teach," or claime to be "the teacher"

Old Thread
Old
  (#14)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Old Thread - 11-15-2019, 07:42 PM

From days gone by, interesting in more ways then one. Mr.Bond you are missed.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#15)
De420MadHatter
SicBiNature
De420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 07:57 PM

So did John sand the pockets for the 626....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: