Reload this Page "I gave the game/set away"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
"I gave the game/set away"
Old
  (#1)
JDB
Idiot Savant
JDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond reputeJDB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

"I gave the game/set away" - 05-31-2017, 02:14 AM

How many times have you heard this in pool? I find it both very funny and frustrating.

This can be said by either player in most amateur matches because BOTH players have missed balls "to give away the game/match."

75%+ of amateur matches end when a player misses a ball or plays a bad safety and their opponent runs out the last few balls…

So what am I trying to say? Quit whining about “giving away the game/set” because that is how most amateur games end. When you win; how many times do you tell your opponent they gave you the game/set? I am sure some do now and then, but not nearly as often as complaining that they gave it away…

Just a thought…

Old
  (#2)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 03:39 AM

Amature? Hell all sporting events our based on who makes mistakes and who takes advantage of them. There is nothing wrong with saying that. It's not an excuse. You had an opportunity to win it and you gave it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post

How many times have you heard this in pool? I find it both very funny and frustrating.

This can be said by either player in most amateur matches because BOTH players have missed balls "to give away the game/match."

75%+ of amateur matches end when a player misses a ball or plays a bad safety and their opponent runs out the last few balls…

So what am I trying to say? Quit whining about “giving away the game/set” because that is how most amateur games end. When you win; how many times do you tell your opponent they gave you the game/set? I am sure some do now and then, but not nearly as often as complaining that they gave it away…

Just a thought…

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#3)
scttybee
AzB Silver Member
scttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond reputescttybee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

05-31-2017, 04:30 AM

legitimate evaluation of what took place during a match amateur or pro doesn't matter.

Old
  (#4)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 05:54 AM

There are only 2 times you never give the game away.

1. You never get to the table

2. You never miss a shot.

Old
  (#5)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
This is very profound.
Cuts right to the chase and is worthy of deep thought.

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Really...?

You win;
you dont play;
You dont finish the game...

But you did use mostly all real words. Ya nailed that part.

Old
  (#7)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
This is very profound.
Cuts right to the chase and is worthy of deep thought.
Nyaka nyacka nyacka.

Old
  (#8)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Really...?

You win;
you dont play;
You dont finish the game...

But you did use mostly all real words. Ya nailed that part.
Well let me put it this way for ya .

You miss a shot....you hook yourself... You play a bad safe. In all those scenarios the result is that you have lost your turn and giving your opponent a chance to win....in effect giving up the game

Now whether your opponent is capable of capitalizing on you giving up the table " giving up the game " is another matter entirely .

Old
  (#9)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

05-31-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

You miss a shot....you hook yourself... You play a bad safe. In all those scenarios the result is that you have lost your turn and giving your opponent a chance to win....in effect giving up the game

Now whether your opponent is capable of capitalizing on you giving up the table " giving up the game " is another matter entirely .
No...you arent really going to defend your claim that there are only 2 examples.

Really, dont.

Old
  (#10)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:

If my opponent has break and runs and then plays a safety on me and has me hooked, then I kick and make a good kick but they get out anyway and run the set out, I didn't give the game away but I did make it to the table and I didn't miss any shots. Where are your 2 simple rules now?

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#11)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-31-2017, 11:48 AM

Do you mean like being up 4-1 in a race to 5 to play in the finals? I did exactly that last weekend.

Old
  (#12)
JC
Banned
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post

Just a thought…
This is an annoying and chickenshit explanation of what happened. And listening to it gets life threateningly old.

For the last decade or so I just tell the truth without the war stories. I made more mistakes than he did and didn't play as well. Therefore I lost. But I did learn some things I can work on. End of story.

Even if you choked the set ball the story is still the same with us amateurs. You made more mistakes earlier on. Had you not you would have prevailed.

JC

Old
  (#13)
JC
Banned
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
If my opponent has break and runs and then plays a safety on me and has me hooked, then I kick and make a good kick but they get out anyway and run the set out, I didn't give the game away but I did make it to the table and I didn't miss any shots. Where are your 2 simple rules now?
A: That's not what happened.

B: People who are running out the set you would not have beaten that day even if they
had allowed you to the table to make your mistakes. Which you would have.

The two simple rules apply. In your hypothetical they simply were not allowed to do their magic

JC

Old
  (#14)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

"I gave the game/set away" - 05-31-2017, 02:24 PM

I see this scenario all the time in my game. To me,coming to the table with not just a shot,but the FIRST open shot with a reasonable "expectation" of running out the rack happens a LOT,whether my opponent shoots first and misses,comes up dry,or I "wrestle" myself thru tactical planning into that first shot,ideally with ball in hand.

If I don't get out from there,that is giving the game away. If you run a few balls,and for whatever reason something goes wrong and you leave your opponent with just a couple balls left,and it happens enough that you lose to an opponent that can't beat you in the long run,that is giving it away,pure and simple.

For example,I lost a match in my last tournament where I am going to 9 and my opponent is going to 2 playing 9 ball. I won 7 games out of the 9 played with solid outs. The 2 games I lost gave my opponent a ball in hand combo on the 9,which he made,and a bad position on the 9 where I thinned the 9 and played safe and he guessed right and made the long-rail bank on the 9.

Quite often,the line between playing good pool and feeling bad because you lost to a kid that only made 5 balls the whole match is nearly invisible.

I know what that kind of frustration feels like.

In my mind,if I just get out when I'm "supposed" to,no one is out of reach in a tournament match. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#15)
JC
Banned

05-31-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-D View Post

In my mind,if I just get out when I'm "supposed" to,no one is out of reach in a tournament match. Tommy D.
How many fails does it take before a person admits to themselves that they are not skilled enough to "supposed" to run out every open table?

Honesty with one's self is the first step to improvement.

JC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: