Cuetec announces Carbon Fiber tentative price and....

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So there has been a few posts on Facebook from Cuetec about there new cf shaft coming out in early December. One rep said it's going to be around $450 for the shaft and I've never seen so many people complain about the price. They say they all thought it was going to range from $99 -$299 but the $450 is outrageous. They will also be offering it in almost every pin size and I believe they will have a new line of cues coming out shortly after the shafts release. It's also going to be 12.5mm and stock tip hasn't been specified yet.

I can't believe how many people are crying about the price and expected it to be about the same price as the r360 shafts now.

I may purchase one eventually to compare to my revo. Forgot to mention they also said they will be making a carbon breaker as well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So there has been a few posts on Facebook from Cuetec about there new cf shaft coming out in early December. One rep said it's going to be around $450 for the shaft and I've never seen so many people complain about the price. They say they all thought it was going to range from $99 -$299 but the $450 is outrageous. They will also be offering it in almost every pin size and I believe they will have a new line of cues coming out shortly after the shafts release. It's also going to be 12.5mm and stock tip hasn't been specified yet.

I can't believe how many people are crying about the price and expected it to be about the same price as the r360 shafts now.

I may purchase one eventually to compare to my revo. Forgot to mention they also said they will be making a carbon breaker as well.
I seriously doubt that many will go for full-pop retail. Unless they play INSANELY good people are going to spend the extra 50bux on a Revo. I bet the street-price is gonna be in the $300 neighborhood. I'm just curious as to how much the Mezz cf shaft will be when it shows up? 6-700bux??

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
They may sell some, if Predator keeps screwing the pooch on their production side. Then again even if Predator can meet demand, who's to say that Predator may not jack the price up to 700-800 dollars. In that case Cuetec may sell some after all. I wouldn't consider Cutec at the given price point, even if it may be more than reasonable, and I sure wouldn't consider Predator at a higher price point.

I wonder what the threshold price would be where people finally realize that "Hey, this is a pool shaft, I can do the same with wood"? 800? 1000? 1500? I suspect some would buy anything Predator makes at any price.

I'm playing with a Chinese 8 ball cue now, payd 100USD for it. Never played better with any cue, even my expensive Mezz, which is now retired for good. It would take some kind of shaft to convince me to pay 7 times the price of my whole cue.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber is expensive.. I’m not surprised at all. the question will be will the name cuetec.. a name known for inexpensive cues (not meant to be a knock) will be able to motivate people to spend that kind of money on a shaft. This for some reason reminds me of Kia coming out with the genesis series of cars. When people think Kia they dont think 70 thousand dollar luxury sedan. How do you change that mind set?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber is expensive.. I’m not surprised at all. the question will be will the name cuetec.. a name known for inexpensive cues (not meant to be a knock) will be able to motivate people to spend that kind of money on a shaft. This for some reason reminds me of Kia coming out with the genesis series of cars. When people think Kia they dont think 70 thousand dollar luxury sedan. How do you change that mind set?
CF is not that expensive. Golf shafts that endure WAAAAY more stress than a cue shaft can be had for less than 100bux. Right now the pool playing public is getting gouged. Big time. Predator way underestimated demand and can't keep up with orders. I talked to a guy at Aldila(golf shafts) and he said they(Pred)have to be making killing on each shaft at current price.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF is not that expensive. Golf shafts that endure WAAAAY more stress than a cue shaft can be had for less than 100bux. Right now the pool playing public is getting gouged. Big time. Predator way underestimated demand and can't keep up with orders. I talked to a guy at Aldila(golf shafts) and he said they(Pred)have to be making killing on each shaft at current price.

I totally agree

HeadCase

Banned

Many people keep Comparing revo and CF pool shafts to golf shafts and there’s really not a comparison there. Most golf shafts are 98% graphite and boron fibers. The ones that had a high genuine carbon fiber rate like the matrix tphd and UST mamiya were 1000 dollar shafts when they were released. I think $450-$500 for a piece of equipment that can last you a lifetime is pretty cheap considering the massive R&D and mfg monies that go into these.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Predator has consistently done a fantastic job of marketing. Over the years I watched the pricing of their shafts go up, and now getting folks to pay $500 plus is a new achievement.

As others pointed out, Cuetec does suffer from a low quality cue image. They should come up with a luxury brand, like the Japanese automakers did back in the 80's with Lexus.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people keep Comparing revo and CF pool shafts to golf shafts and there’s really not a comparison there. Most golf shafts are 98% graphite and boron fibers. The ones that had a high genuine carbon fiber rate like the matrix tphd and UST mamiya were 1000 dollar shafts when they were released. I think $450-$500 for a piece of equipment that can last you a lifetime is pretty cheap considering the massive R&D and mfg monies that go into these.
Lifetime? Guess you haven't seen any of the Revos that have broken. Guy on FB posted a pic a while back of one that just broke, dead in the middle of the shaft. There's ZERO reason for these to cost 500bux. Engineers at both Aldila and Fujikura have told me that making a cue shaft would be much easier and cheaper than a golf shaft. Hey, if Pred can get 500bux for these things more power to 'em.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all marketing and price fixing.

The better player is still gonna beat opponents with a 14 dollar cue off the wall.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously doubt that many will go for full-pop retail. Unless they play INSANELY good people are going to spend the extra 50bux on a Revo. I bet the street-price is gonna be in the $300 neighborhood. I'm just curious as to how much the Mezz cf shaft will be when it shows up? 6-700bux??
I've recently heard from a Mezz employee that the Mezz CF shaft is not ready to be available for sale anytime soon.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

I don't get your economic thinking here.

If Predator can't meet current demand then they're probably not charging enough for their shafts; they're certainly not "gouging" us with prices that too high.

Then there's inflation that's currently being hidden. We old guys remember the 70's. Everyday, prices went up one way or the other. That could be all there is to it.

Jeff Livingston

HeadCase

Banned
Lifetime? Guess you haven't seen any of the Revos that have broken. Guy on FB posted a pic a while back of one that just broke, dead in the middle of the shaft. There's ZERO reason for these to cost 500bux. Engineers at both Aldila and Fujikura have told me that making a cue shaft would be much easier and cheaper than a golf shaft. Hey, if Pred can get 500bux for these things more power to 'em.

I saw the pic. To date it’s apparently the only pics that have surfaced of a broken revo and they guy admittly beat the crap of the shaft smashing it repeatedly off the edge of a pool table and kicking it was the story I heard. I think they’re stronger than we’re giving them credit for

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all marketing and price fixing.

The better player is still gonna beat opponents with a 14 dollar cue off the wall.

Exactly companies come up with new things and convince people how much better it is. People buy it and think it's great until they realize that they are still the same player they were before they spent all that money.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the pic. To date it’s apparently the only pics that have surfaced of a broken revo and they guy admittly beat the crap of the shaft smashing it repeatedly off the edge of a pool table and kicking it was the story I heard. I think they’re stronger than we’re giving them credit for
Not the same cue i saw. This one broke while playing. Flaw in the shaft. It was replaced quickly without fanfare or publicity. I just don't get where people think these are some kind of magic wand. The pros don't pay for them, they're just walking ads for Pred. I've played with both Revos and yes, they do hit good. Are they worth the 500+, not to me. If owners like them that's great.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
500$ ?

500$ shaft? If and when someone can show me a shaft that makes a b player an a player just changing shafts im in. Seen a guy i have seen a couple years at a tourn. this weekend who bought Revo shaft and break shaft .Didnt get to ask him what he thought he was gone 2 and out.Its still the indian.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That’s a very steep discount. With the competition more expensive and unable to meet demand I think it will take a while for the price to go that low. I bet they’ll be around $450 for a while.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator has consistently done a fantastic job of marketing. Over the years I watched the pricing of their shafts go up, and now getting folks to pay $500 plus is a new achievement.

As others pointed out, Cuetec does suffer from a low quality cue image. They should come up with a luxury brand, like the Japanese automakers did back in the 80's with Lexus.

They did and they got arguably the best player in the world winning tournaments and crediting the shaft ,,

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it would be great for Cuetec's sales if SVB wins WC in 9-ball this year. I'm just curious what happens with the demand for their c.f. shafts...