How to Aim Faster?
Old
  (#1)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member
FeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

How to Aim Faster? - 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM

When I get down on a cut shot, I almost always initially line up to undercut the shot. I'm not sure why, but I always do and it's annoying. I then have to adjust my aim slightly to make the ball. Sometimes I have to standup and realign and sometimes I can make a minor tweek while down.

Regardless, I would like to be able to get faster and more efficient at this process. I would like to be able to get down and aim the shot correctly the first time.

Does anyone know why I tend to always instinctively aim to undercut the shot?

Does anyone have any advice on how to practice aiming or setting up on the shot quicker?

The only thing I can think to do is take more time while standing to find the correct aiming point before getting down. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to fix my problem much.

The aiming method I use involves mostly just memorizing contact points/shot pictures. If its an uncommon shot I'll use the ghost ball to get a base aiming point and then adjust for deflection, throw, etc.

Old
  (#2)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2019, 02:36 PM

-------------

Last edited by Low500; 05-03-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Old
  (#3)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-08-2019, 02:51 PM

JrHave an instructor check your PSR and form.
My guess is your elbow is sticking outside.
Your rear foot and shoulder placement probably need some checking too.

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 02-08-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelDaShot View Post
When I get down on a cut shot, I almost always initially line up to undercut the shot. I'm not sure why, but I always do and it's annoying. I then have to adjust my aim slightly to make the ball. Sometimes I have to standup and realign and sometimes I can make a minor tweek while down.

Regardless, I would like to be able to get faster and more efficient at this process. I would like to be able to get down and aim the shot correctly the first time.

Does anyone have any advice on how to practice aiming or setting up on the shot quicker?

The only thing I can think to do is take more time while standing to find the correct aiming point before getting down. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to fix my problem much.

The aiming method I use involves mostly just memorizing contact points/shot pictures. If its an uncommon shot I'll use the ghost ball to get a base aiming point and then adjust for deflection, throw, etc.
Sounds like your "vision center" might not be positioned directly over your cue - this can make it look like your tip is at center ball when it's not. Try moving your head a little in the direction you need to move your tip.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 02-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Old
  (#5)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:

How long have you been playing? The speed at which a player accurately recognizes a cut shot is acquired over time, not something you learn how to do quickly. Of course, if your trouble is due to some fundamental flaw or dominant eye thing, you could get a quick fix with a good instructor.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#6)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:

You know that the back of the pocket is not really dead center of what you're aiming at when you're within a couple of feet from the rail. Put a small mark at the facing where the ball must hit to pocket the ball. IF you are aiming at the back of the pocket, you'll miss with a undercut. Obvious but with throw and cling on the balls, our eyesight eyes the back of the pocket and that "ain't" it.

Member of NRA

Last edited by Prairie dog; 02-09-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Old
  (#7)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replys everyone. I know my question was pretty vague and difficult to diagnose without seeing. The good news is, itís definetly my PSR and footwork that are the most apparent problems. I have decided to painstakingly revamp my fundamentals this weekend and I think I fixed the problem. There is still a lot of work yet to be done, wish me luck!
No magic aiming system fixes that.
It's definitely his PSR and foot placement.
He gets the aiming line right but he gets fat on the ball when he goes down to shoot .

Old
  (#8)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 07:40 AM

Whenever you get down on a shot your eyes need 3 seconds to adjust, while you stroke and fire it in. If you hurry that process you're not getting the full picture.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#9)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
No magic aiming system fixes that.
It's definitely his PSR and foot placement.
He gets the aiming line right but he gets fat on the ball when he goes down to shoot .
Right, no magic aiming system fixes it, but there is an aiming system that could fix it.
PS This is the aiming forum and not a place to come and continually bash systems. The rules are clear.

Old
  (#10)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Stand inside the shot line, might help.

Old
  (#11)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 03:45 PM

I would hazard a guess that it is to do with your vision centre not being utilised to it's full potential when eyeing up a shot. Then as you get down you bring your vision centre onto the line of aim and above your cue. That's why shots may not look correct when down.

It could be the same, but the opposite way around in that you line a shot with your vision centre on the line of aim but as you get down (this is very common btw) your vision centre strays from the correct line of aim making your cues alignment slightly off.

I created a thread years ago on this topic and in it there are some useful tips from various users on how to find your vision centre. Lots of people think it's just when you're head is above the cue but it's much more than that. It is used to aim.

Look at the pros. They walk around the table and stop automatically with their back foot on the correct line of aim and can drop straight down with ease. Only reason they can do it this fast is because they know their vision centre (even if they don't know it as that) and know exactly when they are o the correct sight line to make a pot.

Old
  (#12)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I would hazard a guess that it is to do with your vision centre not being utilised to it's full potential when eyeing up a shot. Then as you get down you bring your vision centre onto the line of aim and above your cue. That's why shots may not look correct when down.

It could be the same, but the opposite way around in that you line a shot with your vision centre on the line of aim but as you get down (this is very common btw) your vision centre strays from the correct line of aim making your cues alignment slightly off.

I created a thread years ago on this topic and in it there are some useful tips from various users on how to find your vision centre. Lots of people think it's just when you're head is above the cue but it's much more than that. It is used to aim.

Look at the pros. They walk around the table and stop automatically with their back foot on the correct line of aim and can drop straight down with ease. Only reason they can do it this fast is because they know their vision centre (even if they don't know it as that) and know exactly when they are o the correct sight line to make a pot.
Is the vision center concept really useful? My "natural vision center" caused me to line up the cue crooked at set up requiring a mid stroke correction. I did this for decades until I took some advice from Mark Wilson. He said you can put your head anywhere as long as it is consistent. He recommended chin directly over cue. For me, the only position that allowed the cue to be aligned straight required my non dominant eye to be over the cue. It works nicely. "Vision center" isn't a real thing as far as I can tell. Makes me wonder if guys like Mosconi and Cicero were really opposite eye dominant, or if they just knew something I didn't (until now, lol).

Dan White

Old
  (#13)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Is the vision center concept really useful? My "natural vision center" caused me to line up the cue crooked at set up requiring a mid stroke correction. I did this for decades until I took some advice from Mark Wilson. He said you can put your head anywhere as long as it is consistent. He recommended chin directly over cue. For me, the only position that allowed the cue to be aligned straight required my non dominant eye to be over the cue. It works nicely. "Vision center" isn't a real thing as far as I can tell. Makes me wonder if guys like Mosconi and Cicero were really opposite eye dominant, or if they just knew something I didn't (until now, lol).
Sounds to me like you proved the vision center concept.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#14)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Everybody's rushing you, slow down the analysis!

1) Where do you stand, erect, to eye the upcoming shot? Where is your head, your feet your cue? On the full line between balls, the shot line, where?

2) How do you move from standing erect into the full stance?

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#15)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Sounds like you're confusing eye dominance with the term vision centre. Vision centre to me is how you sight something to allow for the intended cue and body alignment as well as being able to tell where centre cue ball is whilst down. I am extremely left eye dominant, but I sight a shot and have my cue pretty central between my eyes and on my chin.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: